• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

SRT - Even Worse Than Mercer

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Family Outraged Over Company's Response to Trucker's Death

COLUMBIA - A Higbee family said it is outraged over the press release issued in response to the story over deceased trucker Raymond White.

White died of a heart attack on July 14 in New Mexico while driving his truck for Southern Refrigerated Transport.

The family said Monday they received no help from the company when they reported White missing, and that the national group The Missing Trucker's Charity Alert Network led the charge in helping New Mexico State Troopers find White's body.

After White's body was found at a rest stop, the family said SRT refused to transport his remains or his personal belongings without a cash payment on delivery, with a price tag the family couldn't afford.

The family had to reach out to Trucker's Charity Inc., who networked via social media and its community of truckers to send White's cremated remains back to his family.

Three trucks, 2,730 miles and 15 days later, Raymond finished his last ride home. He had been a truck driver for 20 years.

Continued: http://www.komu.com/news/update-family-outraged-over-company-s-response-to-trucker-s-death/

Another article: http://www.komu.com/news/family-says-company-did-nothing-to-bring-deceased-trucker-home/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercer wasn't much better.

We still haven't heard back from that guy who said he was going to rattle some cages about that. I wonder if they terminated his contract for rocking the boat...

The more I hear about these other supposedly "good" companies, the happier I am with Swift.

I bet they sent someone after that truck and trailer within hours of them finding it and odds are the dead drivers personal belonging now are in someone else truck or in a dump.

Why is it the carriers responsibility to transport personal belongings or remains? You want them to throw the body in the reefer? I'm sure the transport of remains requires all kinds of paperwork.

Why is it the carriers responsibility to transport personal belongings or rmimina You want them to throw the body in the reefer? I'm sure the transport of remains requires all kinds of paperwork.
Unless there are religious objections, most travelers are cremated prior to transport home. The hassle is actually pretty miminal.

@Duck, you've been home too long. There is more to be seen and learned in life than what you will get from The Simpsons.
:grandpa:

Why is it the carriers responsibility to transport personal belongings or remains? You want them to throw the body in the reefer? I'm sure the transport of remains requires all kinds of paperwork.
Its not there responsibility, but out of respect to the dead driver one would hope a carrier would at least offer a helping hand to the family.

Dead people are carried as freight but there is a paper trail.
http://www.landlinemag.com/Story.aspx?StoryID=25084

They put dead bodies on airplanes everyday. Ya box 'em up, Stick them on a plane and they are home later the same day. We called them stiffs. Not sure what it costs.

Reactions: Tim
I googled it. have fun with that one NSA. From California to New York it costs any where from $300 for cremated remains to $2,000 dollars for an embalmed body.

And where do you put them in a reefer?
Nope! They just go in the hold with all the baggage. The head must always be pointed toward the nose of the plane to keep any fluids from coming out of the mouth and nose. The Box is marked head and has an arrow.Then when unloading you take them to the cargo shed. They may go into a refrigerator there waiting on the funeral home to come and pick them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope! They just go in the hold with all the baggage. The head must always be pointed toward the nose of the plane to keep any fluids from coming out of the mouth and nose. The Box is marked head and has an arrow.Then when unloading you take them to the cargo shed. They may go into a refrigerator there waiting on the funeral home to come and pick them up.
I was talking about transporting remains in a big truck, specifically a reefer, because SRT is a reefer company.

So then, Why did you quote my post that clearly says They put dead bodies on airplanes everyday? That makes no sense.
I did say "reefer," perhaps the meaning got lost in the translation? I mean we were talking about Southern Refrigerated Transport (SRT) a reefer company on a trucking forum. I will strive to speak more clearly from now on and not assume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread