Some changes

Mike

Staff member
Nothing huge here, but noteworthy nonetheless.

First off, I have pulled politics down for the time being. I may revive it as we get close to an election, or I may not. Really depends on what I see on the forum over the next year and whether I want to jinx it.

Second, even for a fairly low activity forum, there is more that needs to be moderated than what myself and one moderator has time for. Given that there aren't a whole lot of active members either, there will be some moderating done from outside the forum membership. If I can get some growth in the forum, and we see members showing that they want to and show the skills to moderate, we may add moderators from within the forum and get rid of the outside help.

Here's the deal. Virtually nobody within our membership right now creates new threads. Without new threads, the forum dies. I need to be able to spend time focusing on creating threads for current members to engage in, and for potential visitors to engage in. This is where the additional moderation comes in. It's impossible for me to work on creating threads (when I really need to be creating articles for the main page) and be able to engage in them when I am also tied up with worrying about moderating them.

I am also working on re-creating forums that I have deleted in the past, but working on a method that will tie all the posts from these forums into one aggregate location where everything will show up, rather than physicall having to show all of these forums. What I am talking about there is company forums. I spent a lot of time creating them in the past, but deleted them in order to condense things down to make things look more active rather than having a ton of dead forums. I think I have away to create them, without them standing out so much now, while still being good hooks on the search engines.

In the trucking news area, we will cover as much news as possible. Some of this will cross the political line, I know this, and the only thing I am going to be tough about is keeping out those who have no purpose in the discussion other than to attack a political party via comments or memes. I have my own way of thinking when it comes to politics, and it falls in line with most here currently. And that's part of the problem. We need to be able to talk about things related to the industry and hear multiple points of view, not have one side of the equation hesitant to even register an account due to what they see on the forum.

Myself, and any moderators will also be much less forgiving on things revolving around race, gender, ethnicity, etc... I realize people like to joke, I also realize people's bias has a bad habit of coming out. We have an industry full of truck drivers who are not white. Drivers who find English a bit difficult to speak. They all need to feel comfortable here. If I can't accomplish this, then I don't need to keep the forum around because it costs me far too much money and takes up far too much of my time to allow things to happen here that I don't agree with in this area.

That is all. None of this should mean much at all, if anything, to most of you here. For a few, it might mean you will be spending more time trolling Facebook groups.

Mike

Staff member
I am going to make an attempt at creating a forum ( it will appear to you as a forum anyway) on the main page of the forum. It will be threads from almost 60 forums that I have created for trucking companies. I already have more companies that I know I need to add, but will work on that as time permits. You may see this show up and disappear until I see it working correctly.

Mike

Staff member
A few of the threads you see will not be company related. I'm not going to go through them and manually fix them right now, maybe later. Searches for things like UPS or XPO have a habit of including threads that have nothing to do with those trucking companies. England as well. But, it seems to be doing what I want it to do going forward.

Uncle Birchy

It seems there's a new member every few hours or so but most of em never post anything.

The very few that actually do post it's either a recruiters or a guy with a question and ya still never see them again after that.

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium
It seems there's a new member every few hours or so but most of em never post anything.

The very few that actually do post it's either a recruiters or a guy with a question and ya still never see them again after that.
The overwhelming majority of the population has the attention span of a golden retriever.

Mike

Staff member

some are spammers, some are attempted trolls. Many just don't have the courage to post, or ultimately go somewhere that they can likely get more help.

If you look at most of the threads here, you will see that if you are a visitor or a brand new member that you are likely to move on somewhere else before dealing with the stuff here. The troll responses and the "your an idiot" type responses don't make for a very welcoming environment.

Duck

Premium
The troll responses and the "your an idiot" type responses don't make for a very welcoming environment.
th

*you're

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
You have low forum activity because most members or guests do not have access to the single thread that grows by 100 posts a day.

Total: 549 (members: 18, guests: 531) Out of 549 people on the forum only 15 have access to view the fastest growing thread in the entire forum.
When people log on and there are only 3 new posts on 3 old threads, why bother coming back?

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
When people log on and there are only 3 new posts on 3 old threads, why bother coming back?

Kind of my point.

We are lacking the type of members who create content. In my opinion, when you see what happens when someone creates a thread here, you can see exactly why we can't develop a base of members who are content creators. Having threads immediately trashed or turned into a joke is not going to motivate members to take that leap. The grabass is great for the small base of members who enjoy that, but it kills any opportunity for growth.

When you see those 531 guests, they are coming here from search engines via searches for trucking-related content. That number could easily be 2000 at any given time if we had more current content. There was a time, a long time ago, when that number was hitting 3000. That's my fault, though, because from 2010 going forward, my attention to the forum was pretty much halted for quite some time, and the landscape of this forum quickly changed. In a relatively short period of time, a pretty solid group of forum members started exiting. It wasn't a big deal at the time, as we had plenty of members, but the group that disappeared really hurt. Some left because it was their content being ridiculed on a regular basis, others left because they didn't like seeing that happen to people they respected.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Kind of my point.

We are lacking the type of members who create content. In my opinion, when you see what happens when someone creates a thread here, you can see exactly why we can't develop a base of members who are content creators. Having threads immediately trashed or turned into a joke is not going to motivate members to take that leap. The grabass is great for the small base of members who enjoy that, but it kills any opportunity for growth.

When you see those 531 guests, they are coming here from search engines via searches for trucking-related content. That number could easily be 2000 at any given time if we had more current content. There was a time, a long time ago, when that number was hitting 3000. That's my fault, though, because from 2010 going forward, my attention to the forum was pretty much halted for quite some time, and the landscape of this forum quickly changed. In a relatively short period of time, a pretty solid group of forum members started exiting. It wasn't a big deal at the time, as we had plenty of members, but the group that disappeared really hurt. Some left because it was their content being ridiculed on a regular basis, others left because they didn't like seeing that happen to people they respected.
Kind of your point?
I think you missed the point completely.
Out of my entire post that is what you took away from it?

Let me be a little more clear. You have one thread that grows by 100 posts per day and only a few select members have access to it. Not your long time members, not your new members and certainly not your guests.
Those chosen few have very little reason to participate in threads everyone can view and no reason to create any new threads. Ergo, not much traffic, post counts or new threads created.

Uncle Birchy

Kind of my point.

I assume by content you mean more trucking stuff.

Honestly I came originally for trucking stuff but stayed for the comaraderi.

Yeah people ridicule me sometimes then again I do alot of stupid things too so that's to be expected.

Suppose next time I see the Truck Paper at a truck stop I'll grab one and some magazines scan thru them for articles and trucking news and post those here.

Btw @Mike the other Truckers Forums is much slower

Bigger base but often not even a post all-day.

Mike

Staff member
Suppose next time I see the Truck Paper at a truck stop I'll grab one and some magazines scan thru them for articles and trucking news and post those here.

It's not really that. I can scan trucking news and copy/paste things quickly.

the issue comes with people who have things they are thinking about, want to create a topic, and they don't do it here.

We have members who are here on this forum daily, or at least weekly. That said, they are also active on other forums. When they have a topic they want to discuss, question to ask, it's typically not this forum where it is posted.

Mike

Staff member
And an FYI, I have to test something real quick, but if it works properly, I will announce it and be bringing politics back into view. I need one thing to work in order to do the other though, so stand by...

Mike

Staff member
And an FYI, I have to test something real quick, but if it works properly, I will announce it and be bringing politics back into view. I need one thing to work in order to do the other though, so stand by...

And it works, so Politics is back. If it doesn't become completely stupid, it will remain open to all members. For those who don't want to see it, you now have the option to ignore it and any other forums that you want to ignore. I'll make another post about the ignoring.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
It's not really that. I can scan trucking news and copy/paste things quickly.

the issue comes with people who have things they are thinking about, want to create a topic, and they don't do it here.

We have members who are here on this forum daily, or at least weekly. That said, they are also active on other forums. When they have a topic they want to discuss, question to ask, it's typically not this forum where it is posted.

To easily derailed and taken off topic.

Duck

Premium
Kind of your point?
I think you missed the point completely.
Out of my entire post that is what you took away from it?

Let me be a little more clear. You have one thread that grows by 100 posts per day and only a few select members have access to it. Not your long time members, not your new members and certainly not your guests.
Those chosen few have very little reason to participate in threads everyone can view and no reason to create any new threads. Ergo, not much traffic, post counts or new threads created.
That thread has a shit ton of good trucking related information in it. If you post a question there, you'll get answers quickly. Good answers by experienced guys.

The problem is over a year ago when they all showed up, I think it was Sinister who had an idea to try to split some of that stuff out into new threads to create more activity and they didn't like that idea. 🙄

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
That thread has a shit ton of good trucking related information in it. If you post a question there, you'll get answers quickly. Good answers by experienced guys.

The problem is over a year ago when they all showed up, I think it was Sinister who had an idea to try to split some of that stuff out into new threads to create more activity and they didn't like that idea. 🙄

That was me and I got my ass jumped 6 ways to Sunday. Even when there were already threads open discussing the topic.

Totally removed any desire to share any of the experiences I’ve had learning to run an emissions truck, dealing with the sba or a dozen other things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread