• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Social Groups being brought back

Mike

For those who are interested, we have brought back social groups. It had a little popularity at one point, but was never really pushed to grow.

The reason we are doing this is to try to curb some of the trolling that takes place in the forum. Most people tend to monitor the "new posts" and rather than create threads, or pay attention to the topic of the thread, just reply to whatever they see there, often derailing threads. This is funny to some, annoying to others.

I have had multiple requests to create new forums for specific topics. Rather than do this, I am making the groups option available. This allows a member to create a group, and to promote it. It also allows the forum that is created as part of that group to be more controlled. It is first controlled by requiring a member to show interest in the topic by joining it in order to post. Second, it requires a member to visit the group in order to see the content (outside of alerts to threads they are watching). Finally, it makes removal of trolling members easy without having to ban them from the entire forum.

I've moved all content from our prepping forum into a new group. I needed something to use as a test group, and this was the one I chose. Those wanting to participate will have to simply join the group, and will then be able to continue posting as normal.

Link to preppers group:

Link to groups home page:

If you are on a laptop, the groups link should be visible at the top of the forum. If on a mobile device, it will be on the slide out.

I will be moving politics into a social group as well, and also creating one or two groups myself. If you create the group, you own it. Success of your group will depend on how you manage it. You will have the responsibility of inviting members, accepting members who request to join, and removing members who create constant problems. Obviously, if you aggressively ban members, your group will likely not succeed, or others may create competing groups. Dead groups, at a time to be determined later, may be removed or have their content merged with a group that is succeeding.

for now, I am making group creation available to everyone, while giving a few more features to supporting members. if abuse of this becomes a problem, I will have to limit it somehow.

In the beginning, you permissions in these groups will likely be changing as I try to fine tune them. If you can't figure out how to do something, ask in this thread and I or someone else can answer the questions.

Really simple, actually.

click on the groups link. click on the create groups link. name the group. check the box to add a forum to the group. Bam! your group is now created.
CB0D71C8-AEF7-4A4A-AF5E-7E8B4F196C76.png
It says I can’t join the preppers group or join any groups

click the little arrow on the right side of the groups

11553397-C1C4-42AE-A96B-2CE43058B192.jpeg

@Mike I have nothing under there either I got public events and I can access preppers and that is it.

I even tried mod drop downs and I have no way to create a group.

Too hard. Rather troll normal.

Seriously though it's dead under there for me too mostly.

Clicking the word Groups goes right to this:

Screenshot_20190324-015542.png

Clicking the arrow gives me this:

Screenshot_20190324-015551.png

Clicking public events gives me this:

Screenshot_20190324-015600.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The ability to create groups is there now. I had it enabled, but found another setting that sets how many groups a member can create (that was set to zero be default, therefore hiding the link to create a group).

You now have your own group, with a forum, for open deck. You can create threads and reply to yourself until others join your group, LOL.
This is exciting.

I’m going inside to see if they have coffee ready

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread