Smith Transport of PA

I was wondering if anyone know anything about smith transport from roaring springs, pa... I have gone to several trucking forums, have found nothing bad that anyone has written, which in some ways good, but I can't believe there is a perfect company in this world or else they wouldn't need to hire. I am not looking for dirt, just was thinking about working for them and want to get both sides of the story... Thanks

I talk to some of their drivers at a place I unload regularly in Lithia Springs, GA. They all seem to be pretty happy where they are working.

I guy I use to work with drives for them.... I will see if I can get a hold of him and ask some questions for ya.

All the drivers that I have talked to about Smith are pleased with them. That is one company I have not heard horror stories about.

Thanks for trying... not sure if i'll go to work for them, but it's not because of their rep, I just want to go farther west than they run. They sound like a fair company to work for. I have to do something soon, truck died again. This time the a/c went out. I was in WY when it quit, but wasn't too warm, but company had me take it through our Salt Lake City shop. Once over the mountains it turned real hot. 106 was what my truck thermo said while I was rolling. Went into the 1-teens once I got into stop and go traffic. Thats the 5th breakdown that has cost me time in 2 mos. And I can't get them to tell me when I'll get out of it. Guess they are waiting on me to decide by leaving so they can put someone with less experience in it so they can save a few pennies per mile on payroll.:rolleyes:

Thanks for trying... not sure if i'll go to work for them, but it's not because of their rep, I just want to go farther west than they run. They sound like a fair company to work for. I have to do something soon, truck died again. This time the a/c went out. I was in WY when it quit, but wasn't too warm, but company had me take it through our Salt Lake City shop. Once over the mountains it turned real hot. 106 was what my truck thermo said while I was rolling. Went into the 1-teens once I got into stop and go traffic. Thats the 5th breakdown that has cost me time in 2 mos. And I can't get them to tell me when I'll get out of it. Guess they are waiting on me to decide by leaving so they can put someone with less experience in it so they can save a few pennies per mile on payroll.:rolleyes:

Yeah, too many companies are ready to use newbies to save a buck. They don't think about what their inexperince might cost them in the long run

Hubby has that problem A LOT! He keeps turning in things to fix....they claim they fix them....but they still aren't fixed. It sucks.

Hi Everyone:
I just wanted to say something about Smith Transport. My husband quit his job and went to work for Smith due to the promises they made. He was a long distance trucker and was gone for 3 weeks at a time. He has been in the trucking business for 30 years so he has been around the block. He started years ago making 23-30 cents a mile and was never home. The job he recently quit he was making 53 cents a mile and knew he wasn't going to get rich but they (Smith Transport) promised that he would make 40 cents a mile and fuel bonus would be 43 cents a mile. The fuel bonus was suppose to be payed quarterly, they also promised he would be home every weekend. So he quit his job and went to work for Smith. When he got to orientation he found out that they don't take any state tax out, not even Pennsylvania's, next the truck is a junk and keeps breaking down, you can't idle the truck (but you shouldn't have to, to stay warm or cool depending on the weather) because all units have a separate unit that uses minimal fuel and the temp in the bunk can be controlled. That died the first week and now you can't idle the vehicle unless your dispatcher disarms it. So it runs for two minutes then shuts off. He came home after over 2 weeks, he got home at 3am on Sat and had to leave on Sunday at 7pm. Then he finds out from other drivers in the company that there is no such thing as a fuel bonus. No truck ever makes it, the driver said and if he demands that he comes home as they promised every weekend then they will cut his 35 cents a mile to 32 cents a mile. If he says he is out of hours they get angry and give him an attitude. With all of the stuff wrong with the truck they still tried to send him quite a distance from the terminal.
He read the blogs on this company and because no one ever said anything bad about this company he felt it would be a good place to work..He made a really big mistake believing in this company...Please don't make the same mistake he did. I know that not only is he barley making a living, he is running so hard and has to lie on his log book. ..Please run away from, don't go to work for smith unless you are really in need of a job..........

Do you guys live in Pa.? If so I may be able to recommend a couple companies. Sorry to hear about the problems he's had. I'm thinking he left his last job that paid him .10 more to be home more often?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread