Trucking Regulations: short haul vs long haul

54bobby

i work for a dry bulk hauling co. 99.99% of which is under 150 air miles. it's my understanding that as short haul we can now work a 14 hour day but still only 11 driving. that said, we usually never drive 11 but the job requires at least 3 hours daily of loading, unloading and wait time. my question is, can an employer MAKE us work 6, 14 hour days and if you add the one day of the 16 hour exemption would equal 86 hours in a 6 day week. is this a huge loop hole for the short haul companies. i want to add that as of now, we are classified as long haul 8 days 70 hours even though we have no trucks on the street and the business is not opened on sundays. this is done because we can not get our 2 runs a day in, in 12 hours so by, ( imho ), classifying us as 8/70 they are getting us for the 65 or so hours a week needed to get the deliveries done. from both my and my coworkers point of view, this is illegal and just greed motivated.

[HASH=322]#1-[/HASH] CAN A SHORT HAUL DRIVER BE FORCED TO WORK 6 14 HOUR DAYS ANS LONG AS ONLY 11 A DAY ARE DRIVING?

[HASH=323]#2-[/HASH] IF THE DRIVERS BARK ABOUT THE 8/70 CLASSIFICATION WE ARE NOW, WE COULD BE SCREWING OURSELVES DUE TO 60 HOURS OR LESS, WE WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE OUR 2 RUNS A DAY TO MAKE OUR MONEY. WE GET PAID BY THE LOAD.

I hope this makes sense and sorry for being so long winded. I've searched the D.O.T. website till blue in the face and can't find anything that addresses the short haul hos regarding the possible company mandated 6 days of 14 hours per day. seems like the loophole if i'm correct, is counter productive when talking about keeping us fresh and not driving fatigued.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread