Trucking News: Senate bill will reauthorize Diesel Emissions Reduction Act

Mike

Congress is poised to renew the Diesel Emissions Reduction Act, which provides incentive to rebuild diesel engines to meet strict emission standards via loan programs. On Wednesday, stakeholders gave the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works input on the program, including positions on glider kits.

On Wednesday, March 13, the Senate EPW committee held a hearing titled “Hearing to Examine S747, Diesel Emissions Reduction Act of 2019.” The committee heard testimony from a panel of three stakeholders:

• Kurt Nagle, president of the American Association of Port Authorities.
  • Dale Krapf, chairman of Krapf Group Inc.
  • Timothy Johnson, consultant for Corning Inc.
For the most part, testimony provided by the panel confirmed what the committee members already knew and believed. All three witnesses support the extension of DERA, with no voice of opposition present.

The official bill was introduced Tuesday, March 12.

Fur **** sake! Did the Obama administration not set the engine mfg and trucking industry back about ten years the last time around with emissions?
Caterpillar just said **** it, we ain't even going to try building a POS engine.
Ten years later and we are seeing some reliability in emission engines and they want to move the goal posts?

Fur **** sake! Did the Obama administration not set the engine mfg and trucking industry back about ten years the last time around with emissions?
Caterpillar just said **** it, we ain't even going to try building a POS engine.
Ten years later and we are seeing some reliability in emission engines and they want to move the goal posts?
Ahem! So you're against rebuilding say an old Detroit Series 60 to better than factory spec?

They're not necessarily talking about slapping a set of EPA 2010 emissions controls on a former good engine.

Ahem! So you're against rebuilding say an old Detroit Series 60 to better than factory spec?

They're not necessarily talking about slapping a set of EPA 2010 emissions controls on a former good engine.
I am not against that at all! In fact, I do no see any such statement in my post that you quoted.

I am not against that at all! In fact, I do no see any such statement in my post that you quoted.
Generalized statement dude. Considering the miasma of crap we called "air" when I was a kid, stricter emissions controls won't get a thumbs down from me. I can remember walking home from elementary school in the winter with my eyes stinging so badly that I couldn't wait to get home and out of it.

Its like the Clean Air Act down here is a victim of its own success. It's like these days seldom around and wonder why we even need it. The air is pretty clean.

It wasn't always that way.

Generalized statement dude. Considering the miasma of crap we called "air" when I was a kid, stricter emissions controls won't get a thumbs down from me. I can remember walking home from elementary school in the winter with my eyes stinging so badly that I couldn't wait to get home and out of it.

Its like the Clean Air Act down here is a victim of its own success. It's like these days seldom around and wonder why we even need it. The air is pretty clean.

That all maybe but,are you as a O/O willing to pay say an extra $50,000 on your next truck and eat all of the costs of down time in the shop? :dunno:

That all maybe but,are you as a O/O willing to pay say an extra $50,000 on your next truck and eat all of the costs of down time in the shop? :dunno:
On the bright side, it'll be easier to hyperventilate on that cleaner air when the bill comes.

I would spend 75,000 to build my own "glider" before I bought a new truck with all that garbage on it

I would spend 75,000 to build my own "glider" before I bought a new truck with all that garbage on it
The technology has finally started to mature a bit... th' garbage dont stink quite as much as it used to.

It wasn't like that in the early 2000's before they destroyed diesel engines with the 2006 and later the 2010 emissions bullshit.

This 21st century crap is completely unnecessary and only exists to cause problems.

It wasn't like that in the early 2000's before they destroyed diesel engines with the 2006 and later the 2010 emissions bullshit.

This 21st century crap is completely unnecessary and only exists to cause problems.
Typical Liberal solution. Finding solutions where there are no problems or simply throwing money at a problem will make it go away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread