Trucking News: Self-Driving Systems “Aren’t Robust Substitutes For Human Drivers” Says Insurance Group

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
[Comment - this reflects the current state of the technology.]

A new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) on autonomous vehicles is out, and the results are clear. While the IIHS says autonomous systems can provide some safety benefits, self-driving systems “aren’t robust substitutes for human drivers.”

IIHS’s study used only cars that are already available for purchase by the public. So it did not include systems still in testing like those from Google’s self-driving company, Waymo. Instead, the test subjects were a BMW 5 series, a Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the Volvo S90, and Tesla’s Model 3 and Model S.

The IIHS tested the ability of all of the cars to use adaptive cruise control, active lane-keeping, and automatic emergency braking. According to IIHS chief research officer David Zuby, “some systems handled some situations better than others.”

All of the cars but the Teslas had trouble braking consistently when a vehicle was stopped in the road ahead of them for example. But then the Teslas were the only ones who collided with a test balloon in an emergency braking situation when adaptive cruise control was turned off. The cars performed as intended though, applying emergency brakes to mitigate the severity of impact. When adaptive cruise control was activated, the cars stopped earlier and gentler and avoided the balloon entirely.

In addition to their technical shortcomings, IIHS found that self-driving systems can be dangerous because people expect their cars to keep them safe. When a self-driving system is activated, people are less likely to be paying close attention to the road around them, creating unsafe situations.

While autonomous-equipped cars currently on the road can offer some safety benefits, IIHS concluded that “the early results underscore the fact that today’s systems aren’t robust substitutes for human drivers.”

Source: gobytrucknews, thehill, insurancejournal, wired, chicagotribune, iihs

By Samuel Barradas.

[Comment - this reflects the current state of the technology.]

A new report from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) on autonomous vehicles is out, and the results are clear. While the IIHS says autonomous systems can provide some safety benefits, self-driving systems “aren’t robust substitutes for human drivers.”

IIHS’s study used only cars that are already available for purchase by the public. So it did not include systems still in testing like those from Google’s self-driving company, Waymo. Instead, the test subjects were a BMW 5 series, a Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the Volvo S90, and Tesla’s Model 3 and Model S.

The IIHS tested the ability of all of the cars to use adaptive cruise control, active lane-keeping, and automatic emergency braking. According to IIHS chief research officer David Zuby, “some systems handled some situations better than others.”

All of the cars but the Teslas had trouble braking consistently when a vehicle was stopped in the road ahead of them for example. But then the Teslas were the only ones who collided with a test balloon in an emergency braking situation when adaptive cruise control was turned off. The cars performed as intended though, applying emergency brakes to mitigate the severity of impact. When adaptive cruise control was activated, the cars stopped earlier and gentler and avoided the balloon entirely.

In addition to their technical shortcomings, IIHS found that self-driving systems can be dangerous because people expect their cars to keep them safe. When a self-driving system is activated, people are less likely to be paying close attention to the road around them, creating unsafe situations.

While autonomous-equipped cars currently on the road can offer some safety benefits, IIHS concluded that “the early results underscore the fact that today’s systems aren’t robust substitutes for human drivers.”

Source: gobytrucknews, thehill, insurancejournal, wired, chicagotribune, iihs

By Samuel Barradas.
i hope this means that anyone investing in autonomous vehicles, will get hit with insurance premiums so high, they lose thier shirts.

They would still be better than some I have seen.
Well the story does say... " not as robust." They're probably right. That robot's gonna have ta spend a lot of time at the boofay, ta catch up with yer standard mega driver.

hqdefault.jpg

Lots of crawfishing away from this autonomous idea.

Automation is great, and has its place. I just think there are also places where it simply doesn’t work. This is one of those places.

Lots of crawfishing away from this autonomous idea.

Automation is great, and has its place. I just think there are also places where it simply doesn’t work. This is one of those places.
I worked for a disk drive outfit doing factory automation. We figured out pretty rapidly that if a human hand couldn't do a task, then a robotic actuator was not going to do any better.

I worked for a disk drive outfit doing factory automation. We figured out pretty rapidly that if a human hand couldn't do a task, then a robotic actuator was not going to do any better.
Pretty much! Robotics handle jobs of repetition very well. Variation not so much.

I want something to steer for me while all I'm doing is plugging in straight line miles. I don't wanna leave the driver's seat or stop paying attention, I just don't want to hold the wheel for so long at a time. Free me up so I can pee. 😂

The problem faced by autonomous vehicles is simply too many data points. Trying to passively interpret what all the other vehicles are doing and planning to do is a fool's errand. Once vehicles are all actively networked and broadcasting their movement and intentions, autonomy becomes a much simpler task. And one that would probably be better handled by a central server making most decisions, with the vehicles handling unexpected events. Similar in concept to ATC (center controlled) and TCAS (aircraft controlled) on the aircraft side.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread