• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

seeking new career with trucking cr england offers to pay for my cdl

Lucky lou

I wanted to go to cr england but the stories about that company is cruel and the research i have done i feel like since that's not my only option i should go another way so if anyone out there feel like i should take the opportunity with cr england or give myself that'freedom and pay my ownway

CR England will provide you with training. I cannot say about room and board at their locations. I can say that it had been published (I think) on message boards or Rip off report, that if you fail the testing, they send you home. Whether or not you still owe them for the schooling, I can only surmise that yes, you do.

Your very best bet, is to seek out a private school get a loan and do it that way.

I think too, that CR England tries very hard to get you to sign a lease deal as well, but someone else can verify or deny that.

You can find excellent company-sponsored training opportunities if you look, and really research it. Most private schools can't afford to offer more than to just provide you with enough to get you past a practical skills test, and some are nothing more than a scam looking to prey on the unwary. Beware. It takes much more than just a few weeks at a school to turn one into a competent heavy truck driver.

Your very best bet, is to seek out a private school get a loan and do it that way.

What's the difference between owing a bank for a student load or owing a trucking company?
Interest rate. Either way, it has to be paid back somehow. Nothing in life is free.

I got my CDL through Swift's sponsored academy. I had a no-interest student loan from them. It worked for me.

I got my schooling at cr england in 2006. They took $50 a week out my check untill it was paid off. Total of $1,200 or so if I remember right. I could have left after 6 months but stayed 2 years.

Some people can make CRE work, others can't. Same with Swift or Prime ...or any company. Except the shoe-string fly-by-nights with barely enough money for the week's fuel, much less to pay the driver.

What's the difference between owing a bank for a student load or owing a trucking company?
Interest rate. Either way, it has to be paid back somehow. Nothing in life is free.

I got my CDL through Swift's sponsored academy. I had a no-interest student loan from them. It worked for me.
it may also go towards the persons credit report, to go thru a bank, over a trucking company. Then too comes the contract a student usually signs to work for ""x number" of months till it is paid off.

it may also go towards the persons credit report, to go thru a bank, over a trucking company. Then too comes the contract a student usually signs to work for ""x number" of months till it is paid off.
Have to work for "x" number of months to pay off a bank loan, too.

Another consideration: Credit rating. If you don't have one, your options are slightly more limited.

There are benefits and detriments to either option. Company sponsored training worked for me and hundreds of thousands of drivers. Bank sponsored student loans have worked for an equal number of others.

The contract signed with Swift does NOT require you to work for the company for X amount of time. It is simply a contract to pay back the loan. Of course Swift makes it easy with payroll deductions if you work for them. I don't know how the contract works for other companies since I too went through the Swift training.

What's the big deal? You sign a contract at Prime that says if you stay there for six months you owe half the training tuition, you stay there for a year, and you owe nothing. Most carriers worth moving to won't touch you without a couple of years experience because of insurance requirements, and won't touch a job hopper either.

You'll sign a car lease that sticks you in it for years, a cell phone agreement that locks you in for a couple of years. People enlist in the military for four years with no guarantee of being necessarily whole or even alive at the end of it.

I'm looking at getting my motor carrier authority, and I'll guarantee that someone who shows up at my doorstep who couldn't stay with a training carrier for a year, or who has a string of failed jobs every few months isn't getting a job with me.

What's the big deal? You sign a contract at Prime that says if you stay there for six months you owe half the training tuition, you stay there for a year, and you owe nothing. Most carriers worth moving to won't touch you without a couple of years experience because of insurance requirements, and won't touch a job hopper either.

You'll sign a car lease that sticks you in it for years, a cell phone agreement that locks you in for a couple of years. People enlist in the military for four years with no guarantee of being necessarily whole or even alive at the end of it.

I'm looking at getting my motor carrier authority, and I'll guarantee that someone who shows up at my doorstep who couldn't stay with a training carrier for a year, or who has a string of failed jobs every few months isn't getting a job with me.
Waiting for the "s" word to get thrown in now....

CR England will provide you with training. I cannot say about room and board at their locations. I can say that it had been published (I think) on message boards or Rip off report, that if you fail the testing, they send you home. Whether or not you still owe them for the schooling, I can only surmise that yes, you do.

I think too, that CR England tries very hard to get you to sign a lease deal as well, but someone else can verify or deny that.
I think most the drivers at England are on the lease program.Here's how they get you,they tell you there's no company trks available and could be weeks to months before one does become available.So the new drivers have no choice but to lease because they owe for schooling and they need money.Anyone who stresses the lease program like England does I would stay clear from them.

The bank won't make you work a teller window for weeks or months straight without going home, until you pay it off. :D
I'm looking at getting my motor carrier authority, and I'll guarantee .....
You should let me design your company logo. :stirpot2:

On a completely different topic, do you prefer snails, turtles, or glaciers? :D

The bank won't make you work a teller window for weeks or months straight without going home, until you pay it off. :D

...and you're sure that's the way it works at ALL training carriers, are ya @Duck ??

You should let me design your company logo. :stirpot2:

On a completely different topic, do you prefer snails, turtles, or glaciers? :D

Fragmentation grenades. Hope ya got a spare pin...

Yep. I've heard all the CB rumors & truck stop counter stories about every company.

That's not the case at Prime... there's no deductions in ones pay for training, you just run freight. You can set your home counter once every three weeks. No rumors, no stories.

Now yer a smarter duck... don't tell @Mike 'n @Injun - they'll probably pick on ya. Be a shame to see a duck pout!

:D

I'm thinking about getting a class A myself. I have a CDL-B and drove for 9+ yrs for a glass company in Dallas. Moved to Memphis and drove 550mi /night+/- for another glass company for 12 years until they filed chapter 11 in 2009. After that I couldn't find a job for the first time in 35yrs. A year on unemployment, moved back to OH (should have stayed in Memphis) and dislocated my shoulder and couldn't work for another yr+. Then started working thru temp agencies until now. I finally started getting a few chances at a good driving job but need a yr experience in the past 3 yrs. I haven't forgotten how to drive but company policy. I've been watching a lot of trucker videos on youtube...and yeah, CRE & Swift are said to be a last choice.
What do you think about this guys advise,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread