• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

roehl transport

cwcarp

doing a ton of research on trucking,looking to get into it,self-employed 12 years, just looking at roehl transport
will be a newbie with cdl and appropiate endorsements just no experience,anyone with info on company would be greatly appreciated thanks c.w. p.s. great forum,out of all the forums i have reserched this is by far the best seems like you get good honest replies from people who know the bussiness thanks alot

Welcome to the forum cwcarp and best of luck on your new career choice...
I'll leave the advice to the expert's...lol...
We do have a great forum with alot of good folks here, just like family....

Most trucking companies are eating truck drivers for lunch and then stealing their lunch money so they can profit in this race to the bottom. I recommend staying away as far as possible for the forseeable future.

Sorry no other advice I can give you that's positive.

I talked to a roehl driver today while waiting to get unloaded i asked him how he likes roehl he said fine if u dont mind running your azz off i asked him if theyre good about getting u home he said no he requested to be home last week and they still havent got him home when drivers give plenty of notice to be home the dispatchers should grant their request i give my company 3 weeks notice they get me home everytime and let me decide when im ready to go back out
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not sure if a newbie going to any company is going to get treated well. I started driving in 01. I tried doing all kinds of research and came up with the same answers. "no company is good" I am not sure what your long term plans are though. I started with C.R. England. I'm sure you will hear alot bad about them. But as a newbie, your choices are limited. all the "good" companies won't hire new drivers!! I discussed it with my wife BEFORE I signed on. The first year sucked. It was 3 month's before I got home for the FIRST time. Then home time was NEVER a guarauntee!! They got me home when they "could" My first Driver manager was great about getting me atleast through home. Even if only for a night. But he was only their 3 month's. The other 2 I had sucked!! My home time was 96 hrs off. It started when I made My last delivery and ended WHEN my next pick up was to be made. depending on where my last drop was and my next pickup was, this would only leave me 70 hrs actually at home!! After the FIRST 10 month's were up, I started looking for ANYBODY better!!!

Most other company's wanted 100,000 verifiable mileage and NO accidents. Got that. I am MUCH happier today!!

MORALE of the story, the first year I think is gonna suck no matter where you start. suck it up, deal with the bull, stay CLEAN and it will get better the next time. Use them as they will use you!

Most trucking companies are eating truck drivers for lunch and then stealing their lunch money so they can profit in this race to the bottom. I recommend staying away as far as possible for the forseeable future.

Sorry no other advice I can give you that's positive.

stealing their lunch money...lol !!! good one !!!

I am not sure if a newbie going to any company is going to get treated well. I started driving in 01. I tried doing all kinds of research and came up with the same answers. "no company is good" I am not sure what your long term plans are though. I started with C.R. England. I'm sure you will hear alot bad about them. But as a newbie, your choices are limited. all the "good" companies won't hire new drivers!! I discussed it with my wife BEFORE I signed on. The first year sucked. It was 3 month's before I got home for the FIRST time. Then home time was NEVER a guarauntee!! They got me home when they "could" My first Driver manager was great about getting me atleast through home. Even if only for a night. But he was only their 3 month's. The other 2 I had sucked!! My home time was 96 hrs off. It started when I made My last delivery and ended WHEN my next pick up was to be made. depending on where my last drop was and my next pickup was, this would only leave me 70 hrs actually at home!! After the FIRST 10 month's were up, I started looking for ANYBODY better!!!

Most other company's wanted 100,000 verifiable mileage and NO accidents. Got that. I am MUCH happier today!!

MORALE of the story, the first year I think is gonna suck no matter where you start. suck it up, deal with the bull, stay CLEAN and it will get better the next time. Use them as they will use you!

i've been driving 30 years ... wheres these ''good'' companys ? i'ed like to know ?

I'm a newbie as well, just out of school and have not turned a wheel yet, so take my comments in that light, please. But I must say I'm with Peabody, here on this one. Let me give you some background so you understand where I'm coming from.

I was actually pre-hired by Roehl, the very first week of my schooling. For obvious reasons, I did some serious investigation into the place via the web. I must say, that the driver who commented about not getting home on time is the first negative, and I've heard about the place. Everything else I've heard has been positive.

I keep hearing Roehl is a great place to work for, a family business and so on. THey were high on my list, but, I eventually opted myself to go with HO Wolding, for several reasons.

First, because Roehl wanted to put me in their national flatbed fleet. That's a deal I would've snapped up without hesitation twenty years ago. At age 52, I have to be realistic enough to say that tossing 75lb. tarps around in winter weather probably is not going to lengthen my life any. And my wife and two kids would probably be appreciate a bit more home time than any kind of national fleet would have provided.

Wolding, I hear, is picking up something on the order of 50 new drivers for a large increase in business here in the northeast. I gather that they run a lot of bottled water out of Maine to New York and Pennsylvania and new England states, though I have not had that confirmed. Since I know most of those roads, and since the job is being described as mostly "no touch", and of that, mostly "drop and hook", and since at least in this region they are projecting a home time of 2 for 5 it seemed a lot better fit, despite the (slightly) lower pay estimates.

Yes, I've seen some of the naysayers about Wolding... but I wonder how much salt I have to apply to such statements. First of all the majority of them are couple to five years old from what I can see, and secondly a search of the names of at least two of the louder complainers on some of these forums shows no subsequent posting activity at all. I wonder if those people are even driving, anymore.

Every job has its up's and down's; every job has its naysayers. Every job I've ever had, (and I've worked in IT and in Broadcasting, and advertising sales, and a number of other things over the years) has had people who would bitch loudly under the best of conditions.

Let's assume, however, just for the sake of argument, that the charges of running older (borderline) equipment, and the home time situation, are true. Let's also add to the mix that the estimate of home time is going to be a bit optimistic. So what do you do?

Take a look around, people. The economy at the moment is in the toilet and showing no signs of recovery anytime soon. My own personal projection is that this nonsense isn't going to turn around until after November 2012. Given that, I have to be a bit more open minded about where my first ride comes from.

Now, once I get that ride, the question is ; can I ride it out for a year? In my case, I think I can.... and it also appears to me the chances are high that I may even like the place enough to stay on for longer than the first year. If they are providing be a reasonable way to keep my financial head above water for the next year while earning my initial year of driving, it's all good. That would be particularly true, if the recruiters description to me of what the job entails is anything like accurate.

Now, again, this is the inexperienced speaking. But as I say, if I trusted at face value all the complaints about the various compnaies that are hiring, in ANY field... I'd never take a job anywhere. Right?

roehl

go find a trkstop in your neighborhood..see who is around..chk out the driver appearance and equipment..I like roehl overall, but wolding is good too..both have experienced drivers and dispatchers who know what is required..they take great care of equipment at most of the terminals, and I havent seen either company on the side of the road or upside down in 13 years and lots of miles.good luck:pimp:

Went there school Sept.- Oct been on my own now 5 weeks miles are there so far and home time has been no problem for me or anyone i've talked to. I'm new so cannot say to much yet but my experience so far has been good with them. Non stop run but i would imagine all are that way. Just a newbie trying to make a living.

i've been driving 30 years ... wheres these ''good'' companys ? i'ed like to know ?

/QUOTE]
I didn't mind working for Cowan, out of Baltimore. I was based out of NY, but did mostly regional dedicated. My DM was real good to me. If it wasn't for contact changes, I would mst likely still be there!! But they have a strict hiring practice. I had to have 2 years "perfect" driving record before I could get hired!

Take a look around, people. The economy at the moment is in the toilet and showing no signs of recovery anytime soon. My own personal projection is that this nonsense isn't going to turn around until after November 2012. Given that, I have to be a bit more open minded about where my first ride comes from.

why 2012? is because they are saying that will be the end of the world? lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread