• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Roehl RDTC Program and Driving for Roehl

TigerDK44

I am considering the RDTC program with Roehl. Does anyone have any information about it they are willing to share?

I have read the posts here on Roehl. Seems to be mixed review overall ... but good company to start with.

The RDTC program is their CDL training program. I recently passed my DOT Physical and got my CDL Permit. I am currently on target to start this program on Feb. 18th. It is 3 weeks long then you move into the next phase of training leading to your driving a company truck.

I appreciate any feedback pro or con ... and what to look out for and how to make this work for me.

David

Hello David. From what I have read about Roehl, they seem to be a good outfit. I have no personal knowledge about the company, but do as many "Google" searches about them and I am sure you will get a wealth of information. As far as advice for making it work for you, I have a few suggestions but no advice. Read your CDL Study Book weekly. Get as many endorsements as you can once you get your regular CDL. Read all the threads about advice from this forum but keep in mind that when you are trained, you need to do it the way they have instructed you to. Once you get on your own, then you can play around with different methods.

Go to youtube. You can watch videos from pre and post trip inspections to how to use an emergency ramp out west. It is a good source of information. Think of driving a truck as a career and not a job. Never let anyone rush you when you are in the drivers seat because no one else will be held accountable but you. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Hello _____________. From what I have read about _________________________, they seem to be a good outfit. I have no personal knowledge about the company, but do as many "Google" searches about them and I am sure you will get a wealth of information. As far as advice for making it work for you, I have a few suggestions but no advice. Read your CDL Study Book weekly. Get as many endorsements as you can once you get your regular CDL. Read all the threads about advice from this forum but keep in mind that when you are trained, you need to do it the way they have instructed you to. Once you get on your own, then you can play around with different methods.

Go to youtube. You can watch videos from pre and post trip inspections to how to use an emergency ramp out west. It is a good source of information. Think of driving a truck as a career and not a job. Never let anyone rush you when you are in the drivers seat because no one else will be held accountable but you. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

fixed; (I don't usually f i x things.. but this seemed like the right thing to do.)

Now post this for each person that asks the same thing.

HEHEHE

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am looking at trucking as a career. I am preparing myself to grind through the first year work hard and allow time to open doors to better opportunities either at the current company I am driving for ... or another with my (then) driving experience.

I wish I could say this is an easy decision ... but it is not ... going away from home and family will be the toughest challenge of all.

Thanks for the advice on the endorsements ... I plan on obtaining my hazmat next after I get back from training on my scheduled time off. My recruiter said I should not get it ahead of time because I would have to pay for it again.

I will be taking my cdl driving test in Wisconsin and getting the license there to transfer back to PA.

So many questions ... excitement ... anxiety ... but overall ready to get started.

David

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I am looking at trucking as a career. I am preparing myself to grind through the first year work hard and allow time to open doors to better opportunities either at the current company I am driving for ... or another with my (then) driving experience.

I wish I could say this is an easy decision ... but it is not ... going away from home and family will be the toughest challenge of all.

Thanks for the advice on the endorsements ... I plan on obtaining my hazmat next after I get back from training on my scheduled time off. My recruiter said I should not get it ahead of time because I would have to pay for it again.

I will be taking my cdl driving test in Wisconsin and getting the license there to transfer back to PA.

So many questions ... excitement ... anxiety ... but overall ready to get started.

David

Your concerns are the same most of us faced or are facing in this business.

Unless you are born into the industry or have familiarity with it... the unknowns are astounding.

Who's gonna mow the grass, shovel the drive, fix the car, take care of my family, deal with the things that get broken.....

I faced them, many here faced them, many more will face them.

I will tell you this.. I know many who thought OTR was exactly for them only to find out later it was... but the significant other couldn't deal with the loneliness that ensued.

They now do LTL.... work 3 am to 8 - 9 - 10 pm... get home, sleep, up at 3 am and do it all over again but they are close to home if emergencies arise.

Living up in MN... at most I'm 24 hours and a rental car (or a plane trip) away.

While out.. I've lost my Dad, an uncle and 2 very close friends. I made it through.

If you have a strong relationship at home... that's more than 1/2 the battle.

DaviD consider these things, discuss them with your family, make some kinda plan for emergency's and keep enough cash hidden with you to get you home should the need arise. Don't lie to yerself and tell yerself you can do it. If you've never gone camping, hunting, fishing, alone... kIf you've never cooked your own meals or done your own laundry .... think 3 times.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I lost my dad several years ago myself. He was here one day gone the next ... he would have been 70 just a couple of days ago. I don't think we are ever prepared to lose a loved one no matter if it is sudden or slow.

We (my family) have been going over expectations and what it will take to get through the first year. I understand I will miss out on a lot of my two kids lives ... it is a sacrifice I am ready to make to allow a better future for our family.

Thanks for your input and taking the time to post.

David

First day of training is one week away today ... I am excited to get going. Looks like everything is good to go now to get going and get started. This time next week will be in Marshfield, WI.

Ok just went through Day One of RDTC today ... it was very challenging to see everything involved in the pre trip inspection today, but it was nice to get behind the wheel on the first day.

I did a lot of grinding of the gears out in the range today, but my 2nd time during the day I did a little better. I keep finding myself saying out loud ... "Double Clutch" ... "Double Clutch."

We have a class size of 5 people from all over the US ... we have a real nice mix of people and experiences. Overall, it was an enjoyable and long day one.

:)

David

Ok just went through Day One of RDTC today ... it was very challenging to see everything involved in the pre trip inspection today, but it was nice to get behind the wheel on the first day.

I did a lot of grinding of the gears out in the range today, but my 2nd time during the day I did a little better. I keep finding myself saying out loud ... "Double Clutch" ... "Double Clutch."

We have a class size of 5 people from all over the US ... we have a real nice mix of people and experiences. Overall, it was an enjoyable and long day one.

:)

David

Double clutching bout drove me insane!

leave it to the pencil necks to inject more stress on a already stressful situation!

Tim said:
Double what?
I only have one clutch peddle and now they make a truck with 2 clutch peddles? I'd be grind the snot out or the gears too.

I only use clutch at stoplights, accelerator works good enough for me to shift.

My truck doesn't really have a clutch anyway. I have to floor it for five seconds to get it to stop grinding, if I haven't lightly jammed it in yet anyways.

Bossman2882 said:
I just got an offer of hire from roehl. I am about to schedule my physical with them. Can you tell me anything about what to expect when I get there.

You can expect hours of class reviewing company policy, safety, and probably e-logs. Follow that up with a good 50 pages of initialing your name, sign and date. After all that, maybe a driving course and road evaluation. They will probably put you in motel for a night, then assign you to a trainer. Just remember, if you get there and don't like what you see, you are not officially an employee until they have your tax forms. Most companies tell you exactly when in orientation you become an employee, usually towards the end of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread