CB Radio Road king or cobra

texan168

I don't know much about cbs other than how to turn them on. I've got the new14 freightliner with integrated antennae I currently use a stock cobra 29 that doesn't transmit for crap. Is that road king currently advertised by truck stops worth a damned or am I just spinning my wheels till I put a real antennae on?

I've had good luck with tuned Cobras. But I'm no expert and I don't know anything about integrated antennae...except the tiny wires for the am/fm that were inside the windshied of that old T-Bird I had so many years ago. It worked okay, I guess.

I don't know what your definition of "doesn't transmit worth a crap" is, but usually the weak link is the antenna. Especially if it's the stock stick.

Get yourself some quality cable and a decent antenna and I think you will be amazed with the results.

Well, maybe not amazed, but at least impressed.

My definition in this case is unless a truck is next to me they can't hear me or I sound so far away I get no reponse. I ran into a friend of mine he was maybe 100 yards in front of me and said I sounded like I was miles away. I'll try the antennae thanks. The integrated antennaes in these new trucks is something incorporated into the frame I don't know the details it was the last thing I was concerned with on a new truck

Never noticed the Road King CB radios until I seen this thread. Seen one in a Pilot today.

Anybody have one?

I also have never seen a Road King radio until I was in the J yesterday. Did they used to make radios before and then stopped and are now back making them again?

nope its its own radio based on the old pace radio platform.. there decent radios but not much for taking mods... the galaxys and the cobras are both solid radios... i prefer the cobras due to parts availibilty and tunability.. my pickup, wifes bronco and our ranger have 40 watt cobra 25s and 29s... my company freightliner has my personal cobra 148 gt with a 200 watt booster.. it'll reachr out 15 miles boosted and around 5 unboosted.. it runs 8mm cable and a swr matched 1-1.2, supercoil.. proper cable, mounts, tuning and location are a must for radio preformance.

Here is the deal driver to keep it simple. Have a GOOD tech open the audio on that 29, put a RK56 mic on it and get the tech or learn how to tune your antenna. If you have a 29 it has a built in SWR meter and you should be good. Or you can open up the speaker side of the radio and cut one leg of D11 or turn VR4 all the way clockwise with the front of the radio facing you. This opens up your audio. The big part is make sure your antenna is tuned.

I stay from eBay to many hackers for electronics as far as that CB radio wise roadking is a cheap version of a uniden pc78 or cobra 29 adjustments are in same areas on board but I do not like them uniden is already on the market we don't need another name plastered on their version of a cobra 29

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread