Owner Operator Replacing the T660 with a new Cascadia

Mike

I've bounced back and forth on this for a while now, a couple of years to be exact.

Today, I pulled the trigger on a 2021 Cascadia.

Almost went with a Western Star, but their lounge setup uses RV type cushions like a Volvo, which ultimately pushed me away from Western Star and Volvo. Considered a 579 Peterbilt, but no lounge option.

Having the lounge setup was important. Having a real refrigerator in the truck, not something tiny was important.

I thought I found a truck that would work for me on the lot in Joplin last week. I was able to get the power turned up to 505/1750, and it was set up fairly well. I talked myself into a 12350 front axle and wide singles on 38K rear axles. Even talked myself into a 2.41 ration behind a direct drive tranny. I was all ready to go, trade my truck, and take off in the new one.

I just couldn't do it. It really wasn't what I wanted.

In the end, I getting the 505/1750 from the factory. 2.85 gears, overdrive tranny, duals on the rear with 40k axles, and a 13,300 front axle. Frame shortened to 229 wheelbase to get the trailer pretty close to the cab, 24" cab extenders to make it even closer.

To avoid the winter fuel issues I dealt with last year, and to avoid dealing with avoiding extreme cold in this truck, I got the fuel lines insulated, DAVCO with 12 volt and AC heat option, and having Arctic Fox fuel heaters installed in the fuel tanks. Felt like this was important since I spend so much time in the cold and really don't want to idle the truck under any circumstances when parked.

It will look like a Pride Transport truck. Going with their color and non painted bumpers/fairings/mirrors.

All Michelin rubber

Wired the deposit late this afternoon, estimated delivery is January.

Got a decent trade value for the T660, but if anyone is interested in buying, let me know.

Sounds nicer than the efficiency apartment you'd otherwise have to rent when Maria divorces you for spending too much on a truck.

It's one of those rare problems that is its own solution.

Also, just made the last-minute decision to go with disc brakes. It's a $1300 addition at this point to go with discs over drums, so definitely going that route. Next trailer will have disc brakes as well.
USX had disks on the steers of our Petes. It definitely makes a difference. Are you getting disks all the way around? That'll be even better.

I've bounced back and forth on this for a while now, a couple of years to be exact.

Today, I pulled the trigger on a 2021 Cascadia.

Almost went with a Western Star, but their lounge setup uses RV type cushions like a Volvo, which ultimately pushed me away from Western Star and Volvo. Considered a 579 Peterbilt, but no lounge option.

Having the lounge setup was important. Having a real refrigerator in the truck, not something tiny was important.

I thought I found a truck that would work for me on the lot in Joplin last week. I was able to get the power turned up to 505/1750, and it was set up fairly well. I talked myself into a 12350 front axle and wide singles on 38K rear axles. Even talked myself into a 2.41 ration behind a direct drive tranny. I was all ready to go, trade my truck, and take off in the new one.

I just couldn't do it. It really wasn't what I wanted.

In the end, I getting the 505/1750 from the factory. 2.85 gears, overdrive tranny, duals on the rear with 40k axles, and a 13,300 front axle. Frame shortened to 229 wheelbase to get the trailer pretty close to the cab, 24" cab extenders to make it even closer.

To avoid the winter fuel issues I dealt with last year, and to avoid dealing with avoiding extreme cold in this truck, I got the fuel lines insulated, DAVCO with 12 volt and AC heat option, and having Arctic Fox fuel heaters installed in the fuel tanks. Felt like this was important since I spend so much time in the cold and really don't want to idle the truck under any circumstances when parked.

It will look like a Pride Transport truck. Going with their color and non painted bumpers/fairings/mirrors.

All Michelin rubber

Wired the deposit late this afternoon, estimated delivery is January.

Got a decent trade value for the T660, but if anyone is interested in buying, let me know.
I hope they deliver yours faster than they were with mine. I was kinda disappointed in the size of the fridge too.

Yes, all the way around. Unless they come back and tell me they made a mistake on the price. The price difference was much different a couple years ago, but discs are now standard equipment.
For $1300 all the way around, it's a no-brainer. That's nothing for the improvement. You'll be able to stop damn near as good as a car. Especially once you get them on your trailer.

Fridge will be just the stand from the factory so I can install a large fridge of my own.

DD15 engine.
I wonder if the dealer already has a slot for January. Mine was 4 months out at the beginning and kept getting pushed back until I eventually canceled the order and got the WS.

I can see where the Lounge option would be important to you as an O/O booking your own loads and billing and paperwork etc. Also working on the forum.

Congrats on the new ride! :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread