Removing road tar S.U.C.K.S.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Couple weeks back I took the Crawfordsville cutoff around the north side of Indianapolis. Where you get back onto the interstate they had the road covered in a fresh coat of road tar for a new asphalt surface going down.

spent the better part of today getting most of it off the truck today.

I’ve used this stuff in the past for decal cleanup and some light asphalt removal. Nothing like this.

asphalt just melted off. And it’s pet friendly.

Couple weeks back I took the Crawfordsville cutoff around the north side of Indianapolis. Where you get back onto the interstate they had the road covered in a fresh coat of road tar for a new asphalt surface going down.

I’ve used this stuff in the past for decal cleanup and some light asphalt removal. Nothing like this.

I use PB blaster to take tar off.

Thanks for sharing awhile back they were redoing this road through town..

Not sure if it's same stuff my Uncle gave me this Turtle Wax grime remover and a little can of Goo-Gone for getting up close those bads spots..

Better one I once blew my serpentine belt and the cops passed by put that orange 24 hours sticker on my window..

Couldn't just peel I took an expired credit card and rubbing achohol can't even tell it was ever there

Now if only theyd come up with something to work for pipes on a Harley thats had boot heels melted on to em....

Turpentine won't even touch that
Try the stuff I put in the original post. But for melted sole material, I doubt anything will take it off.

Try the stuff I put in the original post. But for melted sole material, I doubt anything will take it off.
Heat melted it off the boot, so won't heat melt it back off?

Maybe warm up the exhaust and try wiping it off with a rag while wearing a welding glove?

Hmm.... thats worth a try :thumbsup:
If heat doesn't work, and you want to start experimenting with different chemicals, go to Menards and in the nuts and bolts section, they sell chrome plated nuts and bolts. At least the one in Bradley, IL does.

If you get chrome plated bolts for just a couple bucks at Menards, you can soak them in the chemicals you want to try on your exhaust pipe to make sure it won't eat the chrome.

I've had the bottoms of my work boots get sticky for a few minutes after stepping in a gasoline spill at the gas station in the past. So maybe gasoline will eat the rubber but not the chrome.

Once rubber gets melted on the pipes it is no longer rubber but some kind of super cement. Got some on my pipe tried everything it got better but still there.

Once rubber gets melted on the pipes it is no longer rubber but some kind of super cement. Got some on my pipe tried everything it got better but still there.
I do it quite a bit. EZ Off oven cleaner. Follow the directions on the can. Let the engine run to get the pipes hot. Be careful with the oven cleaner. I imagine it would mess up paint. I know it will make your engine look 10 years older but Harley has that engine bright or whatever it's called that will fix that. Then after everything is cooled down use a magic eraser to get the rest off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread