Rant, Sorry

hurgoll

ARG, I am so mad. I have been working in the same place for about 18 years. I work around running semi's and impacts and factory tools.

they MAKE us get hearing tests. That's fine, well this year I failed mine. It has gotten a little worse year after year. Now I have a hard time hearing.

Guess what!!!! They make us take the tests, BUT offer no help if you need hearing aids. four thousand dollars. They don't help with anything. They make us take the test and if you fail it is "oh well, go back to work" What the ^*%#%# is that?

I thought because they made us go, they actually cared. I thought if I ever need hearing aids insurance would help....

sigh... I feel.....cheated

I am surprised they do not offer assistance in getting hearing aids. Is that offered on your insurance though?

I would actually review the paperwork you signed when you were hired to see if the company relieved themselves of any liability if hearing loss occurs to their employees. The fact that they MAKE you get a test shows me that they KNOW there is a possibilty of hearing loss. Looks to me like you have a legal case with this company if you ever feel it necessary. If you can't find a clause stating what I said above, I would make them pay to help you get your hearing repaired. Get a lawyer and explain to him/her and see what they say.

I know someone who was in this exact position at one of our local mills..If you didn't sign anything relieving them from liability, then you have a case. I would speak with a lawyer if they still refuse and the lawyer can speak with them.. This will just let them know you are serious and in most cases the employer will jump to it!

Everyone is 100% correct, you need to look at your papers and then talk to them. If they won't help, bring in the big boys.

Thanks everyone, but right now I am a little off put, they are laying people off. I don't want a target on my back.

If they are laying off, then that gives you more of a reason to go forth and talk to someone about it. What would happen if you get laid off and they never call you back? Do it now and secure your future.;)

True. If anything, it could prevent you from being laid off because then it would look like they were targeting you. THAT is actionable in any court.

I would def. talk to them now, especially if your paperwork doesn't relieve them. I agree with the above posters, do it now.

My best friend is an attorney, she said to tell you to act now rather than later. She laughed at my post, agree with it completely and said 'We're spending so much time together that you are posting like me!"

Check with OSHA and see a worker's comp lawyer. Sounds like you have a workers comp claim because they have documentation (annual testing) that you did not enter the position with a pre-existing condition. Check with state worker's comp board. They can help you. This is no different than carpel tunnel or any other job related injury. I worked in a high noise hearing damage job and they provided custom molded hearing plugs and we had to wear hearing muffstoo. We were required to have the plugs attached to our work clothes and the muffs attached to our hard hats when we left the locker rooms. We also had to wear eye protection and steel toe shoes with arch support. All of which the company paid for or helped pay for. If your company did not do any of these things, OSHA has strict requirements for things like this.

ARG, I am so mad. I have been working in the same place for about 18 years. I work around running semi's and impacts and factory tools.

they MAKE us get hearing tests. That's fine, well this year I failed mine. It has gotten a little worse year after year. Now I have a hard time hearing.

Guess what!!!! They make us take the tests, BUT offer no help if you need hearing aids. four thousand dollars. They don't help with anything. They make us take the test and if you fail it is "oh well, go back to work" What the ^*%#%# is that?

I thought because they made us go, they actually cared. I thought if I ever need hearing aids insurance would help....

sigh... I feel.....cheated

Under the workers comp rules you have a valid claim and a right to file one for your hearing loss. Please tell us that you asked for as copy of the hearing test results.

Thanks everyone, but right now I am a little off put, they are laying people off. I don't want a target on my back.

When I was at the power company they tested all of us every year, and some of they guys had a documented loss of hearing. They filed a labor and industries claim, and got hearing aids paid for 100%, batteries and replacement hearing aids for life, and something like a $30,000 cash settlement for the loss of their hearing.

This thread was started in 07. He probably can't hear you by now.

What?

Nah, some of the topics are still relevant, and that's way too much work to do manually, and I'm not sure theres a way to do that automatically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread