Politics Raising gas tax ‘on the table’ to pay for infrastructure

Mike

Staff member
U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary nominee Pete Buttigieg acknowledged on Thursday that raising the federal gas tax will be one of the options to fund “major investments” needed for highway infrastructure.

“I think all options need to be on the table,” Buttigieg said during his confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate’s Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee.

Don’t worry folks, only the rich will have to pay the higher tax at the pumps, because the average Americans won’t pay more taxes under this administration!

GAnthony

Retiring or will I retire?
Premium
problem here however, is that much of that money will be redirected to other uses.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
And let's see if any of the lefties have the nads to propose a per mile tax on electrics, so they can pay "their fair share."

Brought that up to my state representative and senator.

Minnesota admits that it needs to be brought to fruition but “we can’t figure out how to make that happen.”

I asked them if they’d ever heard of IFTA.

“Yeah, we’ve heard of it. Works good for commercial purposes...”

You can’t facepalm some of this stupidity...

48F6E0D4-7F74-45AE-8D70-011D555D7D72.jpeg

Slowpoke KW

Premium
Some states have wanted to go to a Vehicle Miles Traveled tax and keep getting shutdown cause they think the only way to do it is have everybody install tracking systems.

Couldn’t they just have the mileage checked by the tag agent when ya renew the registration? Or with these smartphones take a picture of the odometer? My phone will show the date and time it was taken to prove it is current.

gearjammer

jammer
Some states have wanted to go to a Vehicle Miles Traveled tax and keep getting shutdown cause they think the only way to do it is have everybody install tracking systems.

Couldn’t they just have the mileage checked by the tag agent when ya renew the registration? Or with these smartphones take a picture of the odometer? My phone will show the date and time it was taken to prove it is current.
that would just revive ways to turn back the odometer

Duck

Sarcastic remark goes here
Premium

Well it'll be like with IFTA and needing to know how many miles were driven on local, state and federal highways so they know how much to tax and how to distribute it to the various entities.

It's been a few years since I've had to log that IFTA stuff but I recall having to write down the routing in addition to the odometer readings.

Government wants to track everyone anyway, so they know where to find you when it's your turn to get rounded up into the slave labor camps as punishment for thought crimes.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Well it'll be like with IFTA and needing to know how many miles were driven on local, state and federal highways so they know how much to tax and how to distribute it to the various entities.

It's been a few years since I've had to log that IFTA stuff but I recall having to write down the routing in addition to the odometer readings.

Government wants to track everyone anyway, so they know where to find you when it's your turn to get rounded up into the slave labor camps as punishment for thought crimes.
The routing is only for auditing purposes, not for distribution of collected tax.

Aren’t they all digital now?
Yep, driven by the ecm.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
The best I’ve seen is an annual surcharge when you purchase your license tag.

Based on estimated annual mileage people drive.

The idea is you can take the standard rate levied or you can itemize your payment. Then you have to report actual odometer readings to verify miles driven.

The one “gitalong” in that hitch.

How do you work it for someone that lives in say Indiana and spends 90% of their time in a surrounding state.

Mike

Staff member
How do you work it for someone that lives in say Indiana and spends 90% of their time in a surrounding state.

It would be basically impossible unless they found a way to go further and require GPS tracking and ended up doing it IFTA style as mentioned previously.

I’m sure the government would love to be able to work their way toward that for multiple underhanded reasons.