Question to all veteran truck driver's and Owner Ops what are the need to knows for new comers to the industry

Getestarted

For new comers to the industry what they need to know to save future headaches because your knowledge and experience can help

don`t look for single good paying loads,look for lanes with multiple good paying loads

I have lots of questions I have been talking to recruiters from Swift, Crstr, CR England and Pam. They send you to school for about three weeks pay for to get your CDL’d you promise to work for a year to 3 years.
A friend of mine tells me it’s all scam, that once you get your CDL’d they co. You into making you start purchasing an older molder truck from 70,000 to 90,000. Then I was told you if your truck breaks down, then you have to pay to get it fixed clutches 27.000 and brakes 27,000. Then other parts can be as much as 10,000. Is any of this true. I forgot he told me you don’t really get the sign on bonuses. I really wanted to be an OTR but just starting out there is no way I can put myself and family in this much debt. Can somebody be up front and explain how it all works? Thank you all and be safe out there.
Janet

I have lots of questions I have been talking to recruiters from Swift, Crstr, CR England and Pam. They send you to school for about three weeks pay for to get your CDL’d you promise to work for a year to 3 years.
A friend of mine tells me it’s all scam, that once you get your CDL’d they co. You into making you start purchasing an older molder truck from 70,000 to 90,000. Then I was told you if your truck breaks down, then you have to pay to get it fixed clutches 27.000 and brakes 27,000. Then other parts can be as much as 10,000. Is any of this true. I forgot he told me you don’t really get the sign on bonuses. I really wanted to be an OTR but just starting out there is no way I can put myself and family in this much debt. Can somebody be up front and explain how it all works? Thank you all and be safe out there.
Janet
First, stay away from CR England and CRST.

Its not a scam. The large training carriers will trade CDL training at no or reduced cost, usually for a year of driving for them. It takes a year or two of experience before the risk of covering you by a smaller carrier's insurance becomes affordable before more desirable jobs with them are available to you.

Swift is probably the best of those you listed. Look into Prime and Millis as well.

You never have to buy or lease a truck. You can chose to be a company driver and just receive a pay check. You would not be responsible for paying any repair costs as a company driver.

Your friend also greatly exaggerated on prices. Brakes parts an labor will run you a little over $150 a wheel end. A clutch job is about $2000-2500 parts and labor. An engine over haul in frame will run you $25000-30000 depending on the shop.

You never have to buy or lease a truck. You can chose to be a company driver and just receive a pay check. You would not be responsible for paying any repair costs as a company driver.

Your friend also greatly exaggerated on prices. Brakes parts an labor will run you a little over $150 a wheel end. A clutch job is about $2000-2500 parts and labor. An engine over haul in frame will run you $25000-30000 depending on the shop.
I’ve covered some repair bills as both a company driver and as an O/O. It was just easier/faster. I got reimbursed, no questions asked. I mean I’m not paying for an inframe but small bills pay it and roll.

The most I had to do was get reimbursed for about 550 in fuel once and that was very begrudgingly after exhausting every other. This AMBest in NY was on our list of ones that was supposed to work with our cards so I figured had better get a bunch before MA for sure! Unfortunately, something went very awry with their stone age technology.

I’ve covered some repair bills as both a company driver and as an O/O. It was just easier/faster. I got reimbursed, no questions asked. I mean I’m not paying for an inframe but small bills pay it and roll.
Owner operators are expected to cover their own expenses.

The most I had to do was get reimbursed for about 550 in fuel once and that was very begrudgingly after exhausting every other. This AMBest in NY was on our list of ones that was supposed to work with our cards so I figured had better get a bunch before MA for sure! Unfortunately, something went very awry with their stone age technology.
How about $900 for a steer tire in Chicago? I had to put it on my Credit Card. That was the only tire guy that would come out at midnight. We got robbed by the tire guy but, Airfreight, It has be in Toronto by morning.
My boss was the owner of 4 trucks running under his own authority. He paid me back in cash.

How about $900 for a steer tire in Chicago? I had to put it on my Credit Card. That was the only tire guy that would come out at midnight. We got robbed by the tire guy but, Airfreight, It has be in Toronto by morning.
My boss was the owner of 4 trucks running under his own authority. He paid me back in cash.
I never had a problem getting Prime to reimburse a legitimate expense with a receipt.

Hello can someone make a living being new to hauling freight as an owner operator thinking of buying a 2012 Pete 384 with 12000 front 40000 rear MX13 with 10 speed fuller 62" bunk 1.180000 KM, How hard is it to find loads and stay busy in Canada I have some experience from back in the 90's doing oil field hauling. But would have to get class 1 gong again only have class 3 been doing a little gravel work over the last few year. just need to find full time work am single with not a lot of needs.

Last edited:
The grass isn't any greener here.

Always thought was "greener" otherside...

Then ya go find new pastures and its like a "drought"..

Another thing these companies do to ya is like starting out ya making $$$ and paying up even saving some ahead...

Then like after that 2/3rd month they got ya doing reconnisance and eh run back 2 Joliet n they dont wanna "PAY"..

I went in the office last time n I thought they were gonna call the Cops on me..

Gosh is the Payroll coming outta your own checkbook..

Nonetheless dont F-Me around $20 bucks and I aint a trailer shuttle either...

Pay me "TIME-CLOCK" Hours by the hour..

If mileage then I need atleast 500 miles unless ya got it back n forth on dedicated..

And thats just drop n hook I aint sitting there half the day...

Or "PAY" UP by the hour

Tell ya another thing ..

When ya get back DONT park at the Terminal..they know ya sitting there..

I would park at the Petro like 30/40 miles out and turn my phone off..

I just ran back from Laredo n Im "tired" n resting..

Those dispatchers see ya sitting there want ya go to Springfield...

Park at the Petro outta town hit the rack

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread