Power inverter, microwave,instant pot, freezer & frig. Cooking healthy OTR

BlueStingray

medium Rare
I realize times have changed in our industry, as well as the driver.
Not many cafe, mom & pop restaurants or fast-food places supply a hot meal or coffee. while on the road.

This is where the modern tools and pieces you can run on your truck. I am not talking about a 12volt item to make food. I am talking. having a microwave, coffee pot, instant pot , mini freezer & truck style frig. I realize some have more pieces possibly an electric skillet or toaster oven. But if your going to survive on the road and dont have the income to buy $12. meals /3 times a day. You will need to figure out how to survive OTR eating on a budget and eating out of your truck.

The big issue is does your company allow a power inverter? Does your truck come with one from the company you drive for?

If you have the basics:

2500 to 3000 watt power inverter

Microwave 1000 watt
Instant pot 3qt
small freezer/frig Alpicool
Truck Frig

This is some of the basics. Below we can post items used and receipts for certain dishes.

If you have the basics:

2500 to 3000 watt power inverter

Microwave 1000 watt
Instant pot 3qt
small freezer/frig Alpicool
Truck Frig

And all of this is why I suggest a diesel powered APU. I'm currently shopping around for my next truck, and room in the back to actually cook and have room to do it is a key concern for me.

After years of "cooking" OTR between me and a couple friends we have found great devices that consolidate the process for cooking on the road.

The instant pot is self contained and just needs a window to vent out the pressure.
I almost forgot the vacuum sealer i also grabbed. that helps also in freezing or Frig of left overs or portion control of a cooked item. you can use that vacuum sealer at home or on the road.

Spagetti is a perfect example you can cook it all in one device and portion out meals for later.

Im working on getting the pictures taken and the supplies set up to make hard boiled eggs. way easier

Hard Boiled Eggs (dozen)

Equipment Needed

1. power inverter min. 1500 watt
2 . 3qt Instant pot with metal trivet (is located bottom right of picture)
3. one dozen eggs preferable in cardboard carton
4. one cup water ( if no measuring cup fill water to just cover trivet)
5. cutting board to place instant pot on or hard surface
6. Jug of ice from truckstop (free ice)
7. container to chill and cool off your eggs after cooking

20201006_170340.jpg

20201006_172024.jpg

Step one

setup your insta-pot add metal trivet inside and place on a stable hard surface. like plastic cutting board on the floor of truck.
20201006_170406.jpg

Next cut your carton with out eggs into two 6 egg holder columns.

Place Eggs into cartons six per layer.

20201006_170611.jpg

Now you will find on the net to use the metal wire "egg holder" it only does 3 or 4 eggs.
This method above lets you reuse the cardboard a few times. just place someplace to dry out.

Pour in your water to bottom of carton or till metal trivet is covered. a bottle of water fits the bill real easy, If your like me and buy a case of bottled water. 36 pack or so.

Close lid by twisting , it will beep if you did it right. and make sure vent is closed.

Press the "pressure cook" button and set time up or down to 12 min.
20201006_173508.jpg

now you have a moment to go to the truck stop to get some free ice in your jug

and make an ice bath for your eggs. this can be in a jug or some cheap pan
IMG_20201006_172150.jpg

After the time is up, you can unplug your instant pot and move it to the window to vent outside.
do not take lid off till the unit is vented and not pressurized. This button will drop when venting is complete.

20201006_175757.jpg

instant pot will beep a few times and then your eggs are done. press the button to release pressure.

Also I use a pair of tongs to pick up the eggs from inside the pressure cooker and put them in icebath.

20201006_180636.jpg

After your done put them in a ziplock bag and into your frig. They peal real easy and you can have a quick breakfast in the A.M of 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs.

hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
What an awesome contribution to the Forum!!

The pictures are a great idea and very helpful.

I'm really looking forward to your next post! :x3:

1. power inverter min. 1500 watt
Have you personally run yours on a 1500 watt inverter?
If 1500 is the current draw of the instant pot, I'd go with at the bare minimum, a 2000 watt inverter and have the truck running on fast idle.

Inverters are over rated. They use Bernie Sanders math.

Kind of like how the tiny 120 volt motor in my shop vac, is the size of two stacked McDonald's pancakes and barely dims the lights when I turn it on, is supposedly 6.25 HP but the big heavy one on my air compressor, the size and weight of a car battery with a 240 volt hookup is only 3 HP.

It's bullshit math.

Inverters aren't quite as extreme pathetic fake math as Ridgid brand shop vacs but there's still some junk science involved. So you gotta go overkill with the watt rating.

Have you personally run yours on a 1500 watt inverter?
If 1500 is the current draw of the instant pot, I'd go with at the bare minimum, a 2000 watt inverter and have the truck running on fast idle.

Inverters are over rated. They use Bernie Sanders math.

Kind of like how the tiny 120 volt motor in my shop vac, is the size of two stacked McDonald's pancakes and barely dims the lights when I turn it on, is supposedly 6.25 HP but the big heavy one on my air compressor, the size and weight of a car battery with a 240 volt hookup is only 3 HP.

It's bullshit math.

Inverters aren't quite as extreme pathetic fake math as Ridgid brand shop vacs but there's still some junk science involved. So you gotta go overkill with the watt rating.
I had an instant pot pop a GFCI in my house once but I think my wiring was done by meth heads.

Drug wiring aside, I still tend to think they're a fairly heavy duty appliance.

I had an instant pot pop a GFCI in my house once but I think my wiring was done by meth heads.

Drug wiring aside, I still tend to think they're a fairly heavy duty appliance.
Those GFCI outlets can be finicky as cats when you switch their food to a different brand.

I eliminated one in my basement because the stupid thing wouldn't power my sump pump.

I'm not even sure what an instant pot is.
But toasters, George Foremans, toaster ovens, air fryers, popcorn machines, etc will use the max allowed for kitchen appliances which is 1500.

My crock pot is like 200 watts.

Those GFCI outlets can be finicky as cats when you switch their food to a different brand.

I eliminated one in my basement because the stupid thing wouldn't power my sump pump.

I'm not even sure what an instant pot is.
But toasters, George Foremans, toaster ovens, air fryers, popcorn machines, etc will use the max allowed for kitchen appliances which is 1500.

My crock pot is like 200 watts.
Remember all the times you got thrown out of the Chinese Buffet?

That thing at the end with the white sticky rice in it is an instant pot.

Theres nothing instant about them, and they're more of a pressure cooker though.

Use to carry a small George Forman grill i ran off my 2000watt inverter when I use to truck. Worked great on steaks, burgers, or grill cheese.

You mean that there are no more gallant knights of the road to help damsels in distress? Both Canada and America have gone to hell.
No sir.
Its the age of equality.

Haven't you heard? They've been jamming it in everyone's faces since 2016.

Circa.

Three different forum platforms ago I had a thread with the things I made in the lunch box oven.
I saw a guy a few weeks back that had one in his truck. I got talking to him and all the different things I have made in them.
They are basically a crock pot.
I went through 3 of those lunchbox ovens over the years and every time I was in line at the truck stop buying a new one, a driver would strike up a conversation about how handy they were and all the different stuff you can make in them.

I realise times have changed and now truckers can have better stuff like instant pots and griddles and microwaves. Carry on!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread