Pet Food Recall

Kroger announced on Tuesday that it is voluntarily recalling many of its Kroger, Old Yeller and Pet Pride dry dog and cat food varieties because they could contain aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring chemical by-product that is toxic. Aflatoxin grows from the fungus Aspergillus Flavus found in corn and other crop foods used in pet food production.

Kroger stores are located in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. Other stores within the Kroger food network that are affected by the pet food recall include: Dillons and Gerbes stores (Kansas and Missouri): Baker's stores (Nebraska); Food 4 Less stores (Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana and the Chicago area); and Jay C, Hilander, Owen's, Pay Less and Scott's stores located in Illinois and Indiana. Kroger affiliate stores not affected by the pet food recall include: Fred Meyer, King Soopers, Fry's, Smith's, QFC, City Market, Foods Co., Ralph's and Food 4 Less stores in California and Nevada.

Pet foods have a sell by date of Oct. 23-24, 2011. Visit the FDA website for specific UPC code details. Pet foods included in the Kroger recall are:

Pet Pride Cat Food - 3.5 # package
Pet Pride Cat Food - 18 # package
Pet Pride Tasty Blend Poultry and Seafood Cat Food - 3.5 # package
Pet Pride Tasty Blend Poultry and Seafood Cat Food - 18 # package
Pet Pride Kitten Formula - 3.5 # package
Old Yeller Chunk Dog Food - 22# and 50# packages
Kroger Value Cat Food - 3 # package
Kroger Value Chunk Dog Food - 15# and 50# packages

Do you fix your pets vegetarian cuisine? I know some vegetarians do. They fix rice and vegetable grub for their cats and dogs.

No, but I have seen vegetarian pet foods in the health food stores. Mine eat either Natures Variety or Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul. Sometimes I feed them raw, which I wish I had the ambition to do on a regular basis.

My dog does'nt eat any of those foods mentioned.She eats meow mix and fancy feast hard food sometimes i'll get het soft food for just being the spoiled brat she is,LOL. Yes you read it right,CAT FOOD.She won't eat dog food.I spose because catfood is smaller pieces.When I get home she eats all the cats food,LOL.I've bought her expensive dog food and she won;t even touch the stuff.

Patricia, just be aware that dogs and cats have different nutritional needs. I've heard that cat food has more of one thing and less of another that dogs need. Probably not much you can do though if that is all she will eat.

I never thought of that.Thank you much for the tip.I'm going to ask her vet about that.
Patricia, just be aware that dogs and cats have different nutritional needs. I've heard that cat food has more of one thing and less of another that dogs need. Probably not much you can do though if that is all she will eat.

Cat food is alot of times richer in flavor and scent which is what attracts dogs. And the different nutrients may make your dog sick, or fat, or a lot of other things. My dog always loved cat food too, and vet told me that once.

I think it is that cat food has way more protein than what a dog needs and the excess amount damages the kidneys. something like that anyway. Also, cat food has taurine, which dogs do not need.

Try weaning her off of it by mixing the dog food and cat food together, then decrease the cat food each time until its just the dog food.

my wife and are distributers of 3 lines of raw food
k9kravings,performance dog,and big dog
That is really awesome. A lot of folks don't realize the benefits of a raw food diet and are unaware of all the crap most dry dog foods are made from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread