Pennsylvania Senate backs snow-free vehicle mandate

Mike

A bill halfway through the Pennsylvania General Assembly addresses concern about snow and ice removal from atop cars and trucks.

Pennsylvania law already allows police to ticket car and truck drivers and fine them $200 and $1,000 if the wintry precipitation causes serious injury or death. The Senate voted unanimously to advance a bill that is intended to be proactive. Specifically, SB435 would authorize law enforcement to issue tickets solely for failure to clear their vehicles of snow and ice.

“This legislation is about safety and responsibility,” Sen. Lisa Boscola, D-Northampton, said in prepared remarks. “Safety for motorists and truckers alike, and responsibility for freight and shipping companies to be a good corporate neighbor and to install appropriate snow removal equipment.”

Pennsylvania Senate backs snow-free vehicle mandate

Note the bolded part if this reaches the point of becoming law. You are looking at a hefty fine just for having snow/ice that you cannot reach on top of your trailer, whether it comes off or not.

That's just dumb. I cannot fathom the depths of stupidity that PA officials are dropping too

It's a very rare occasion that I get that far east of home, but something like this becoming law would permanently shorten my operating radius to exclude any and all loads going through there, regardless of the weather.

PA also recently made a law that we can't have our ball mount installed in our receiver when not towing. Gotta remove it.

It's a very rare occasion that I get that far east of home, but something like this becoming law would permanently shorten my operating radius to exclude any and all loads going through there, regardless of the weather.
The fact they started restricting any CMV travel on interstate this past winter is bad enough. There's enough two lane to get around the interstate but it's still a bad omen

Minnesota is pretty bad about it too.
I'd read about Minnesota, maybe it's more a van thing but usually on a skateboard snow doesn't hang on that long.
This past winter did suck, couple good dumps mixed with some freezing rain had lumps falling off the mule driving up the road.

You would also have to comply with OSHA regulation if you have to get up on box trailers I would imagine.

You would also have to comply with OSHA regulation if you have to get up on box trailers I would imagine.

True, which makes this law virtually impossible to abide by. You could park at a truck stop overnight and wake up to being ticketed as soon as you pull out on the road.

and now of course, the arguments and debates on who is responsible for removing the snow atop a trailer, the company or the driver.

as it is now, where i am working out of, there is a company that has an onsite snow blade. however, they DO NOT allow anyone to drive up to use it, and they refuse to even consider accepting payments for the service. my boss went there 2 years ago, then this past winter as well. , to work out a deal/payment system. we only have 3 trucks, occasionally up to 5 when we get slammed, but that is usually always during the warmer temps, never winter.

so now what, we gonna hear all the truckers saying they ain;t gonna climb a trailer? i know i WILL NEVER.

what does one do if at a rest area for the 10...or some parking lot, for the 10........like what, they gotta get up there and shovel the snow?

PA (and some other states), seem to think it's an easy solution.

well then, why don;t they take all THE CLOSED rest areas, and scale houses, and put up snow blades, and charge a nominal fee to us?

have the DOT run those. that way (hopefully) they can be trusted more than a private contractor.

Well I can't climb on top of the trailer to clear the snow.
When the cop pulls you over for snow on the roof do ya' tell him yea, I got on the road here to clear it off at a high rate of speed?

I mean honestly, let's get ****ing real here. What is the difference from a blizzard from the sky and a blizzard from a truck?
A. You can pass or back off from a truck until it clears! A blizzard from the sky, not so much!:thumbsup:

We have snow blades all over the place and I've never actually seen one in use.

They always had cones or a huge pile of snow blocking access. And "DO NOT USE" signs.

So uh...yeah.

:dunno:

My question is how do you remove snow from the top of a trailer 🤔 unless driver safety is of no concern to them , I can't see how it would be done 🤔

My question is how do you remove snow from the top of a trailer 🤔 unless driver safety is of no concern to them , I can't see how it would be done 🤔
I thought a very few truckstops had a snow remover at the exit. Like a windshield brush but at 13'6" or some dam thing. Drive under it on you way out and leave the snow behind

I've heard of them never seen them. I did nothing to fact check, research or even google it to support my post.

I thought a very few truckstops had a snow remover at the exit. Like a windshield brush but at 13'6" or some dam thing. Drive under it on you way out and leave the snow behind

I've heard of them never seen them. I did nothing to fact check, research or even google it to support my post.
Problem is, a brush would only remove some of the loose snow, the stuff that does no damage. It's the stuff that melted and refroze up there and turned into sheets of ice that comes down and damages things. The brush would just "brush" right over the ice.

I do know for sure that SOME Wal-Mart dc centers have a trailer roof plow but it's only for their drivers I believe .

Problem is, a brush would only remove some of the loose snow, the stuff that does no damage. It's the stuff that melted and refroze up there and turned into sheets of ice that comes down and damages things. The brush would just "brush" right over the ice.
I've run a trailer with serious ice frozen to the roof through a blade - didn't even touch it. Works great on loose snow!

The ice is what's dangerous.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread