Paccar engine

Cabtom68

Can anyone tell me about this engine considering buying a Pete with a paccar engine ,also what's a good engine, cat,cummins,Volvo, mercedes, was just wondering

Paccar MX13 in a ten speed automatic I drove for two weeks seemed to pull decent for a DEF engine. Air compressor noisy as hell but they say that's normal.

<7 mpg

That's all I know.

Can anyone tell me about this engine considering buying a Pete with a paccar engine ,also what's a good engine, cat,cummins,Volvo, mercedes, was just wondering

Had a buddy who ran a 12.7 Detroit for a few years in his own rig. It did fine. He hauled mattresses so he didn't have heavy loads. The only Detroits I ever ran were 2-strokes. One look at the right side of a DD15 scares me. According to a highly-regarded mechanic, it takes a long time to get past all the junk hung on that side to get to the engine block.

My old favorite was a red top (a 525 N14). However, the 6NZ Cats can make 700 hp reliably if driven by one guy who has some skin in the game. Most of the big strappers out of Anchorage run 6NZs and C16s. They're not fans of current motors. The pre-DEF and weed burner 550 hp ISXs pulled about as well as the 6NZs tuned to the same power.

The line driver with whom I most communicate tells me that the latest Cummins and Detroits are "crap." But that might be a function of the weight they pull (125,000 lb. gross on 9 to 11 axles is common in the Anchorage/Fairbanks freight corridor for my old employer, Sourdough Express). You can get an idea of the hilly (as opposed to steep) terrain on that run via my not-very-good Youtube video, followguy1. The motors that I mentioned got about 3 mpg with those loads. The new 600 hp Cummins and Detroits get about the same mileage running these loads in the aforementioned corridor. The DEF and weedburner motors have to work as hard as the older, more reliable, motors.

When I was a banker financing the construction and purchase of seiners, many of them had Volvo diesels; however, a marine application is a lot different than a truck application. I think that Volvos were as popular as Luggers (Komatsus) and Cats in the Kodiak, Chignik, and Sand Point/King Cove fleets (in Alaska salmon seine boats can be no longer than 58 feet and many in Kodiak and Chignik are around 46 feet long.)

Don't know if this helps much. Here's hoping that more skinners will offer their opinions and experiences.

Last Monday was in the shop getting some warranty work done on my differentials.

The guy who actually did my work had a paccar mx13 tore open replacing the #4 cylinder pack. Seems the paccar engine is showing the same habit of building carbon on the fire ring and piston like the isx Cummins.

They also have had two new X15 powered petercars in that had such major issues, they've had them at the shop going on 4 months and now Cummins is sending in acoustic engineers to locate the fault.

Neighbor has a 2005 isx turned up and deleted. His engine failed the same way. Carbon build up on fire rings and scored a cylinder.

Paccar and isx engines are two that I'd still avoid.

@Ranger_375 got a Volvo with the M13 engine or whatever it is the Volvo's got. He's been pretty good with it. Fuel mileage isn't what I'd have expected. Had some after treatment issues at first, but those seem to have been fixed when the EGR cooler got replaced. He has his engine set for 550/1850 I've been told. @JunkYardDog5958 has run his classic with a 12.7 against it. He was impressed.

I run a Detroit 14L. Have about as few problems as I could expect out of it. Done an EGR delete and it's as rock solid and reliable as the 12.7 series 60. My second truck runs the 12.7 and fuel mileage is comparable between the two. Both are pulling beasts. @JunkYardDog5958 has the 12.7 is set for 550/185 and my 14L is 630/2250.

Last edited:
PACCAR used to he a Cummins engine rebadged PACCAR. Not the case anymore PACCAR trying to be like Freightliner started trying to manufacturer everything themselves. The PACCAR engines are problematic. I expect it to be a couple more years till they get all the bugs worked out.

That being said. If your buying new. I'd say DD 15 is the best news engine on the market but I know nothing about the Volvo D12,D13, or D16.

If buying used. 12.7 Detroit for economy and reliability, Cummins N14 for in between power and Economy. CAT for power or pride whichever you prefer. Lol

Last Monday was in the shop getting some warranty work done on my differentials.

The guy who actually did my work had a paccar mx13 tore open replacing the #4 cylinder pack. Seems the paccar engine is showing the same habit of building carbon on the fire ring and piston like the isx Cummins.

They also have had two new X15 powered petercars in that had such major issues, they've had them at the shop going on 4 months and now Cummins is sending in acoustic engineers to locate the fault.

Neighbor has a 2005 isx turned up and deleted. His engine failed the same way. Carbon build up on fire rings and scored a cylinder.

Paccar and isx engines are two that I'd still avoid.

@Ranger_375 got a Volvo with the M13 engine or whatever it is the Volvo's got. He's been pretty good with it. Fuel mileage isn't what I'd have expected. Had some after treatment issues at first, but those seem to have been fixed when the EGR cooler got replaced. He has his engine set for 550/1850 I've been told. @JunkYardDog5958 has run his classic with a 12.7 against it. He was impressed.

I run a Detroit 14L. Have about as few problems as I could expect out of it. Done an EGR delete and it's as rock solid and reliable as the 12.7 series 60. My second truck runs the 12.7 and fuel mileage is comparable between the two. Both are pulling beasts. @JunkYardDog5958 has the 12.7 is set for 550/185 and my 14L is 630/2250.
"Big strapper" must be a west coast term. You're the second guy I know to use that

Skinner = trucker?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread