OOIDA member weighs in on California town's truck parking problem

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
By Greg Grisolano, Land Line staff writer

A California town is debating what to do about truck and trailer parking in its community.

OOIDA Member Shirley Van Cleave and her husband, Charles, are owner-operators with a single tractor-trailer rig that they use to haul specialty cargo. She said she can see both sides of the issue. On the one hand, they were among the first residents in their neighborhood to join in a petition against another neighbor who was parking 14 dump trucks on a half-acre lot in the residential community.

On the other hand, as truckers, she said she and her husband’s business has been “picked on and pushed around” by city code enforcers for parking their single vehicle in front of their property.

full story

Move those same trucks off private property and send them to the nearest Truck Stop.

14 less spaces to fill at night.

Laughing at this. Sign a petition to remive trucks off of a lot THAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU, then want different rules for yourself

Laughing at this. Sign a petition to remive trucks off of private property THAT DOESN'T BELONG TO YOU, then want different rules for yourself
Fixed..

A prime example of "be careful what you wish for."

..they were among the first residents in their neighborhood to join in a petition against another neighbor who was parking 14 dump trucks on a half-acre lot in the residential community.

On the other hand, as truckers, she said she and her husband’s business has been “picked on and pushed around” by city code enforcers for parking their single vehicle in front of their property.

Karma.

I worked for a guy that ran an airfreight, Ocean container company out of his back yard. Some one took issue and then applied for a re-zoning of the property. He was successful. Only one person said they did not want to be able to see the trailers from the road. The boss put up a big privacy fence. The house blocked the rest.

The only time we had a problem was when a few of the containers rolled into the next doors pond. LOL. containers are lazy and like to roll over on their own and sleep on their side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked for a gut that ran an airfreight, Ocean container company out of his back yard. Some one took issue and then applied for a re-zoning of the property. He was successful. Only one person said they did not want to be able to see the trailers from the road. The boss put up a big privacy fence. The house blocked the rest.

The only time we had a problem was when a few of the containers rolled into the next doors pond. LOL. containers are lazy and like to roll over on their own and sleep on their side.
Some businesses just shouldn't be run in a residential area. Containers in his back yard? That's a little ridiculous.

I can see if it's one or two containers he's using as storage, but with trucks coming & going all the time, the dilapidated trucks that pull 90% of container freight, the majority of the drivers who probably don't even speak English ... yeah I can see why the neighbors would complain.

Some businesses just shouldn't be run in a residential area. Containers in his back yard? That's a little ridiculous.

I can see if it's one or two containers he's using as storage, but with trucks coming & going all the time, the dilapidated trucks that pull 90% of container freight, the majority of the drivers who probably don't even speak English ... yeah I can see why the neighbors would complain.
No one complained. We had about 18 cans or bare chassis back there at any given time. Back when I hauled cans everyone at the company spoke English and where born in country. Also the other companies where the same. there was enough work and money to go around so it was never a race and even drivers from competing companies helped each other out.
And then the race to the bottom began.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread