Trucking Regulations: OOIDA lends support to HOS reform as Sept. 29 effective date looms

Mike

The new hours-of-service rules that are set to go in effect on Sept. 29 will provide truckers more opportunities to rest when they are tired and will improve highway safety overall, the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association said in formal comments to the FMCSA.

OOIDA’s comments sent on Monday, Aug. 3, were in response to a petition for reconsideration of FMCSA’s final rule by the Teamsters and several safety groups.

The new rules

• The on-duty limits for short-haul operations will increase from 12 to 14 hours and from 100 air-miles to 150.
  • The adverse driving provision will extend the driving window two hours if the driver encounters adverse driving conditions. In the final rule, the definition of “adverse driving” was modified so that the exception may be applied based on the driver’s (in addition to the dispatcher’s) knowledge of the conditions after being dispatched.
  • In addition to splits of 10/0 and 8/2, drivers will be allowed a split-sleeper option of 7/3. Also, the qualifying period doesn’t count against the 14-hour window.
  • The 30-minute break provision will be modified to require the break after eight hours of driving time (instead of on-duty time) and allows an on-duty/not driving period to qualify as the required break.

The new rules date is coming quickly, didn't realize it was that close. Won't be surprised if it gets pushed out though.

Kinda sounds worse for local. Unless I'm not understanding it correctly.

Missed my chance to bitch and nobody's gonna be able to flog me anyway going forward so oh well.

I like the updates to the 30 though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread