Old Truckstop (SC)

AngelasRide then you know Big Mike and probably Fred as well ?

Not exactly owned by the sherrif but you're close. I'll leave the names out. The original owner started in the late 50's or early 60's with the Rebel T/S located just off exit 98, first exit south of the bridge in Santee. Then he opened several in the years that followed. In the late 70's he sold to his protege and right hand "assistant". This assistant had a brother that became a SC State trooper after the military. The brother retired after getting shot and partnered up with the now owner of no less than 3 establishments. The 95 T/S at exit 93 wasn't first but by far was the most notorious of any T/S in the state and possibly the entire eastern N/S route. Pull out taking a left going over 95 and south on 15 will be another joint down on left and one on right before I 26 jct. Other side of 26 on left still stands the "real truckstop" today called the Dixie Boy. Pull out of the 95 T/S going right and today's "fantasyland" was once another. Go left on 301S and another down on left and yet another just before 26 on left. (open). This is just the few around Santee that the owner of the Rebel built before the 95 was fully opened. Sections were opened up at a time forcing traffic to exit and run the old road. At these interchanges were locations that would thrive on business years after 95 was opened when most didn't even know if their existence. A driver could stop for fuel, burger, pu**y, dope and play video poker all at one spot. A part of SC history and the history of trucking as well. A huge part. All fell apart when video poker was banned. That was the glue that held everything together.
Someone should write a book or a movie about this true life story. Even a film about Carolina Shaker would have scenes with him at the 95, a regular stop of his. There's a few shots of the place in the music video about him.
It'd make a good flick.

There was a total of 4 cat houses located there in Santee/ Orangburg South Carolina, the one that was located there is Santee was run by a guy named Ted, if you went to the other one I-95 truck stop it was run by an retired state trooper his name was Fred, truckers could get fuel but everyone knew what it was all about. There was all the poker machines, then rooms in the back and there would be up to 10 Girls working at any given time. Then the other one was called 301 truck stop, it was run by a guy named Tiny, how he ever got that nickname I will never know because he weighted right at 900 pounds, truckers could stop at any of them get fuel, play the poker machines, spend time with any of the ladies there, and they could get all the dope that they wanted, crystal meth, crank, is cocaine then also pills and marijuana. 301 truck stop was open 24 hours a day and to keep the peace they was closed on Sunday mornings due to a church being close by. Tiny also had another cathouse on down the road that catered to blacks. There was also cat houses located in Darlington SC, there was quite a few in Lexington North Carolina. Back then there was a lot of good times to be had. The 301 truck stop had rooms where the girls stayed that was inside the truck stop, then there was some rooms out back, one of the rooms had a bunch of the video poker machines in them, Tiny also had a couple of trailers on the property and that is where a few girls lived , then he had a trailer park on his land and the majority of the working girls rented a trailer from him so they didn’t have to travel everywhere, the cat house that was located in Lexington NC was beside a restaurant and was run by a guy named Billy. The 80’s and early 90’s was a awesome time, theee was also a place located in Mobile Alabama and it was right across the street from the battleship. Anyway would love to connect to the people I knew back then just to know how they are doing. I think Tiny died several years back and as far as I know all these places are shut down now

Santee Truck Stop.

My Dad and older brother used to buy road dope there.

Before I95 was finished as I recall.
If it is the one I am thinking about a guy named Ted run it. It was called Santee Truck stop. There was 3 of them. I-95 was the one the ex state trooper run, his name was Fred then the one on 301 was called the 301 truck stop. Tiny run it.

Wow people still remember , those were the good times wish I was there ..oh wait - I was.. this is Big Mike, I worked for Fred for years at I 95 truck stop, then later opened "The Coffee Shop" exit 72 on I26 ...of course johnny law eventually closed us all down ... But hit me up, would love to hear from my old friends...Roger out

There used to be a cat house down the street from the circle C truckstop exit 68 on 95 in Sc.

Wow people still remember , those were the good times wish I was there ..oh wait - I was.. this is Big Mike, I worked for Fred for years at I 95 truck stop, then later opened "The Coffee Shop" exit 72 on I26 ...of course johnny law eventually closed us all down ... But hit me up, would love to hear from my old friends...Roger out
Hey big Mike you sure it wasn’t the 77? There is no exit 72. There is 77 and then 68. Canadys? Or Saint George?

Yep yep Humble Pie White block building down on right below circle C had various owners thru the yrs guy by name charlie brown owned building , but it was one of the 1st ones to go down... And it's I-26 172 B is the exit across bridge from Dixie boys truck stop is where Coffee Shop was old lady Sue had a block building (burnt down) there for years b4 we got it (it's a vacant lot now ) we rented the spot from Collins entertainment out of Charleston remember those days poker machines ruled !

I -95 Stop was exit 93 right side of exit if you took a left out of I95 truck stop onto highway 15 you'd go across bridge(over I95) about 5 miles to county line b4 Interstate-26 is where Coffee Shop was on right or I-26 truck stop sometimes called ..if you'd had taken a right out of 95 Truck stop about a mile up on right hand side was another Truck stop/Cathouse just b4 getting in town of Santee SC called T&R TruckstopTed and his brother Randall owned this one (it's still opened (run by Ted's family last I checked it's an adult book store etc or something) now take a left on highway 301 at light, go down about 5 miles b4 you cross I26 on left (it too now a XRated novelty store) you had the infamous 301 truck stop 1st owned by Big Tiny.. all these places in this little triangle between Charleston Santee Orangeburg or closed... but in its Heyday it was like a little rednck Vegas lol ,you could easily write a book as someone said earlier, so many memories, so Any old timers out there, hit me up would love to hear from you, the old way of life ...trucking etc is not dying.. it is dead ! Lot of Drivers I kept in touch with over the yrs have passed on , all we have is memories, but man what a ride I wouldn't have traded it for the world !!!

And it's I-26 172 B is the exit across bridge from Dixie boys truck stop is where Coffee Shop was old lady Sue had a block building (burnt down) there for years b4 we got it (it's a vacant lot now ) we rented the spot from Collins entertainment out of Charleston remember those days poker machines ruled !
Today it looks like a good place for locals to fix their broken down Chevys. 😉

Screenshot_20210119-093335_Maps.jpg

Yep yep Humble Pie White block building down on right below circle C had various owners thru the yrs guy by name charlie brown owned building , but it was one of the 1st ones to go down... And it's I-26 172 B is the exit across bridge from Dixie boys truck stop is where Coffee Shop was old lady Sue had a block building (burnt down) there for years b4 we got it (it's a vacant lot now ) we rented the spot from Collins entertainment out of Charleston remember those days poker machines ruled !
Oh yeah my bad I was thinking on 95.

Big mike have not heard from you in a long time somehow I get numbers I’ll get CB to give me your number have a good day I’m going back to Radio channel 19

There was a total of 4 cat houses located there in Santee/ Orangburg South Carolina, the one that was located there is Santee was run by a guy named Ted, if you went to the other one I-95 truck stop it was run by an retired state trooper his name was Fred, truckers could get fuel but everyone knew what it was all about. There was all the poker machines, then rooms in the back and there would be up to 10 Girls working at any given time. Then the other one was called 301 truck stop, it was run by a guy named Tiny, how he ever got that nickname I will never know because he weighted right at 900 pounds, truckers could stop at any of them get fuel, play the poker machines, spend time with any of the ladies there, and they could get all the dope that they wanted, crystal meth, crank, is cocaine then also pills and marijuana. 301 truck stop was open 24 hours a day and to keep the peace they was closed on Sunday mornings due to a church being close by. Tiny also had another cathouse on down the road that catered to blacks. There was also cat houses located in Darlington SC, there was quite a few in Lexington North Carolina. Back then there was a lot of good times to be had. The 301 truck stop had rooms where the girls stayed that was inside the truck stop, then there was some rooms out back, one of the rooms had a bunch of the video poker machines in them, Tiny also had a couple of trailers on the property and that is where a few girls lived , then he had a trailer park on his land and the majority of the working girls rented a trailer from him so they didn’t have to travel everywhere, the cat house that was located in Lexington NC was beside a restaurant and was run by a guy named Billy. The 80’s and early 90’s was a awesome time, theee was also a place located in Mobile Alabama and it was right across the street from the battleship. Anyway would love to connect to the people I knew back then just to know how they are doing. I think Tiny died several years back and as far as I know all these places are shut down now
I was a truck broker in the mid 85-90range and knew tiny when did he pass I always was fond of him

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread