New to the trucking world, looking for advice

A lot of the LTL companies let you start on the dock, then to a straight truck, then sooner or later you will get a shot a line haul. I made 65k/year doing line haul and was home every weekend and once during the week on a set run...
Funny how the demotions go.

I didn't go the route of company-provided training & then being obligated to drive for them.
There's probably no difference. I don't know what a "refresher course" entails but after 8 years they'll probably just want a full "from scratch" course.

If you want to go this route, I'd recommend Swift simply because there's a bunch of Swift drivers on here who say it's the best trucking company in the history of the observable universe. @Injun seems to know the company inside out & backwards.
When I drove for swift with my wife, we drove fewer miles together than a reasonable driver would expect to drive alone. We made more some weeks on layover than miles. Absolutely the worst company I ever drove for. Drove for Schneider, nearly as bad in other ways. Walsh and sons, Larry brown trucking Llc and team Campbell. All way better than swift on every point of concern.

Most companies I've been told, talking to the teams I do know, have no clue how to run a team

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread