New guy

ohiosteve

Hi, my name's Steve, I'm from Ohio I work for an oilfield/excavating company and do quite a bit of trucking for them, I've owned a few trucks of my own over the years because I like wrenching. I came here looking for some advice on my newest purchase an 88 W900b, I'd like to get it on the road in a year or so. I'll be taking my time. Thanks.

Hi, my name's Steve, I'm from Ohio I work for an oilfield/excavating company and do quite a bit of trucking for them, I've owned a few trucks of my own over the years because I like wrenching. I came here looking for some advice on my newest purchase an 88 W900b, I'd like to get it on the road in a year or so. I'll be taking my time. Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Steve from Ohio!:wave:

I can't offer up anything in the way of advise of purchasing a truck. Someone who can help will be along shortly.

Once again welcome to the forum.

Let’s hear more about it

Pics please

The truck I bought is an 88 W900 with a 42' flattop bunk, it has a 3406B and a 13 spd. The truck belonged to my good friends Dad who parked it about 10 years ago, he used to start it every summer and move it around a bit, until a few years ago when he had a pretty bad stroke. Unfortunately he's not there mentally anymore so he can't answer my questions. It's about 5 miles from my place so my first goal is getting it to my house to work on it. I will try to get a picture up.

My first question is on battery setup, I know some Kws have batteries run in parralel and I'm thinking that's the case here because there are some strange relays in the battery box. The batteries are completely dead I can't get them to take a charge. I'm wondering if it has a 24 volt starter also, hopefully new batteries and it will crank.
Second question is on the rims, they are 8 bolt so I'm guessing it has Spicer axles. Anyone have opinions on the 8 bolts? Good or bad

My first question is on battery setup, I know some Kws have batteries run in parralel and I'm thinking that's the case here because there are some strange relays in the battery box. The batteries are completely dead I can't get them to take a charge. I'm wondering if it has a 24 volt starter also, hopefully new batteries and it will crank.
Second question is on the rims, they are 8 bolt so I'm guessing it has Spicer axles. Anyone have opinions on the 8 bolts? Good or bad
I doubt it’s 24 volt. Are the cables hooked +to+ or + to -? 8 bolt rims are getting hard to find.

They are + to +, bit not all 4 are connected together, just 2 and 2, I was reading some are 12 volt run and 24 volt start, I sure hope that's not the case here, there was no tag on the starter.

Good Luck ...wish ya the "BEST" and glad to see ya

Hope you'll update us with posts and don't be "SHY' @ohiosteve ..

They are + to +, bit not all 4 are connected together, just 2 and 2, I was reading some are 12 volt run and 24 volt start, I sure hope that's not the case here, there was no tag on the starter.
Like @Snowman_w900 stated you should be straight 12V . I think what you're referring to, which was used on trucks older than yours is the use of a series/parallel switch which started with 24V, but the rest of the system was 12V.

Like @Snowman_w900 stated you should be straight 12V . I think what you're referring to, which was used on trucks older than yours is the use of a series/parallel switch which started with 24V, but the rest of the system was 12V.
Just an update, I put four new batteries in and everything is working as it should about half the lights work and even though I shouldn't have I cranked the starter to make sure it worked. I haven't had a chance to get back to the truck but my next step is draining the old fuel new filters perhaps a new prime pump and get her cranking! Thanks for the advice so far.

I havent worked on the truck much since I've been busy and its been cold and snowy. I did put new fuel filters and put a new prime pump on and drain the old fuel out. I can get it to run on ether but it still is not getting good fuel and will not stay running. Im thinking about pulling the fuel nozzles and replacing them since theyre not terribly expensive. Can anyone give me advice on that?

My other question is on the brake pedal valve. The piston is seized and not moving. Can i remove this valve up through the cab floor or do i need to pull it out through the bottom?

She's a beaut! Sorry to hear about your friend's dad. I bet he's happy (even if he can't express it) about your novel deed. See it through to completion by putting her back into service.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread