My Kid Has Officially Joined The Navy - Aviation Ordnanceman

A new Red Shirt!
Congrats!

Maybe she'll get assigned to my old squadron.........eh, wait, they're decommissioned.

Maybe she'll get assigned to my old carrier..........decommissioned.
It's almost like they are actively trying to erase the fact I was ever there......

I was an AD, I'm guessing they still have jet mechs:rolleyes:

It has been a long journey, but the physical is done, oath has been taken, and papers have been signed. Emily will be leaving for boot camp early in March, possibly beginning of February if an opening can be created.

When the journey began, my advice strongly pushed her to joined the Marine Corps, if not that, then the Navy. Initially, it was the USMC. After a while, that decision changed to Navy. A few months ago, it changed back to USMC, complete with attending Poolee training twice a week with the local recruiter. After showing everyone there that she could not only compete with, but outperform most of the guys in the workouts, she did what any sensible girl would do and change her mind again. Once again, opting for Navy.

I have to admit, I had selfish reasons for the Marine Corps. I really wanted to see her there, and see her accomplish the training to become a Marine. That said, job opportunities are very limited. Jobs she liked, she couldn't qualify for due to being just an inch too short. Not sure what is so important about being 64 inches tall, but oh well. Their loss.

Yesterday, she left the recruiting office for MEPS in Little Rock. Arriving there, she took the ASVAB. She had a list of jobs available to her from when she took the test back in high school. After taking the test, one additional job became available. AO - Aviation Ordnanceman.

If you know my girl, you know she isn't heavily into girly things. So, building bombs and strapping them to jets fits her perfectly. Only word of advice I can give here is don't drop the bomb, or else you will look like Achmed...... (hopefully, everyone knows who I am talking about). I Keel You!

While not a guarantee, this job likely puts her on an Aircraft Carrier. If I was gonna be in the Navy, I would want to be out on a ship, and definitely an aircraft carrier. Probably much more fun than calling in coordinates to fire the big guns of 3/11.

Physically, she is ready. Especially after the past few months of training to pass the PFT the Marine Corps. Mentally, I know boot camp will be the toughest thing she has had to deal with up to this point in her life. I'm positive she can handle it, though.

You must be so proud of her, Mike. You raised quite a girl. I wish her much success in anything that she does. And thank her for keeping us safe too cause we don't have equipment like that. And if we do, it's old and rusty!!

You must be so proud of her, Mike. You raised quite a girl. I wish her much success in anything that she does. And thank her for keeping us safe too cause we don't have equipment like that. And if we do, it's old and rusty!!

I'm proud, and scared to death at the same time.

30 years ago, I took the oath with the USMC. At the time, it seemed like nothing. My best friend enlisted through the buddy system and we attended boot camp together. From there, we separated, and it went to shit from there.

I ended up discharging early, as my father was dying. messed up situation because I didn't want out, and I didn't have a choice. My best friend, who signed up after I enlisted, went on to serve a full 6 years of active duty. He went through absolute bullshit that I wouldn't wish on anybody. He was dragged into places after Desert Shield that we had no business in, and ultimately lost a close friend there. I often lay awake at night thinkng how different his life might have been had I not chosen to enlist. Every year, his heart breaks over a life lost, and my heart breaks over an inability to change history.

I think serving in our military is amazing. I am so proud. I know what it can do for her as a person. I also know how devastating it can be in bad situations. Nobody should go through what my best friend has went through for his entire life. And no matter what, I will always feel responsible.

Congrats @Mike - most kids don't have the stones to do this.

A new Red Shirt!
Congrats!

Maybe she'll get assigned to my old squadron.........eh, wait, they're decommissioned.

It's almost like they are actively trying to erase the fact I was ever there......

Sheesh! No kiddin' - all the jets I worked on are either static displays, target drones or beer cans.

Last one I heard about, it took 3 F35s to shoot down 1 QF4E. The ol' Rhino is a tough bugger!

A new Red Shirt!
Congrats!

[/QUOTE
Because an AD is an aviation rate, were you considered an airdale?

I'm proud, and scared to death at the same time.

30 years ago, I took the oath with the USMC. At the time, it seemed like nothing. My best friend enlisted through the buddy system and we attended boot camp together. From there, we separated, and it went to **** from there.

I ended up discharging early, as my father was dying. messed up situation because I didn't want out, and I didn't have a choice. My best friend, who signed up after I enlisted, went on to serve a full 6 years of active duty. He went through absolute bullshit that I wouldn't wish on anybody. He was dragged into places after Desert Shield that we had no business in, and ultimately lost a close friend there. I often lay awake at night thinkng how different his life might have been had I not chosen to enlist. Every year, his heart breaks over a life lost, and my heart breaks over an inability to change history.

I think serving in our military is amazing. I am so proud. I know what it can do for her as a person. I also know how devastating it can be in bad situations. Nobody should go through what my best friend has went through for his entire life. And no matter what, I will always feel responsible.
Mike, he made the choice to join. I can't even imagine what your friend went through or the sorrow he feels, but it is not your fault. Hind sight is a wonderful thing. We all have things we wish we could do over, but unfortuately it's done and all you can do is be there for him, as I'm sure you are. Does your friend know how you feel? Sometimes, if you both talk it out, it may help both of you. Guys have a hard time with that.

I can only image how scared you are for your daughter. Just be there for her to share in her experiences. She will make you proud. She looks like a very strong person, however, it will be hard in the beginning but I'm sure she will love what she's doing once she gets settled.

When I first started driving, I ran into a soldier, driving for Prime, that had just been discharged because he was shot. He still had two bullets in him. We got to talking after a while about it. He fell apart and we talked for hours. Once he got out all that he was keeping in, he said the weight had been lifted. I ran into him a couple months later and he thanked me for taking the time to talk it out with him as he was thinking of suicide. After we hashed it out, he was able to deal with it and is still around. He is such an awesome guy. He'll never forget what happened but can deal with it a little better now. The point of my story is, talk to your friend and really get your feelings out on both sides. It will be messy but maybe you guys will be able to deal with it a little better and not feel so guilty.

I hope that helps. Big hugs.

It has been a long journey, but the physical is done, oath has been taken, and papers have been signed. Emily will be leaving for boot camp early in March, possibly beginning of February if an opening can be created.

When the journey began, my advice strongly pushed her to joined the Marine Corps, if not that, then the Navy. Initially, it was the USMC. After a while, that decision changed to Navy. A few months ago, it changed back to USMC, complete with attending Poolee training twice a week with the local recruiter. After showing everyone there that she could not only compete with, but outperform most of the guys in the workouts, she did what any sensible girl would do and change her mind again. Once again, opting for Navy.

I have to admit, I had selfish reasons for the Marine Corps. I really wanted to see her there, and see her accomplish the training to become a Marine. That said, job opportunities are very limited. Jobs she liked, she couldn't qualify for due to being just an inch too short. Not sure what is so important about being 64 inches tall, but oh well. Their loss.

Yesterday, she left the recruiting office for MEPS in Little Rock. Arriving there, she took the ASVAB. She had a list of jobs available to her from when she took the test back in high school. After taking the test, one additional job became available. AO - Aviation Ordnanceman.

If you know my girl, you know she isn't heavily into girly things. So, building bombs and strapping them to jets fits her perfectly. Only word of advice I can give here is don't drop the bomb, or else you will look like Achmed...... (hopefully, everyone knows who I am talking about). I Keel You!

While not a guarantee, this job likely puts her on an Aircraft Carrier. If I was gonna be in the Navy, I would want to be out on a ship, and definitely an aircraft carrier. Probably much more fun than calling in coordinates to fire the big guns of 3/11.

Physically, she is ready. Especially after the past few months of training to pass the PFT the Marine Corps. Mentally, I know boot camp will be the toughest thing she has had to deal with up to this point in her life. I'm positive she can handle it, though.

congrats.

Still a red shirt, as @mndriver pointed out to me. I'm still quickly trying to learn all things navy.
There's some reasonable YouTubes videos on "aircraft carrier operations" that covers the deck force.

A new Red Shirt!
Congrats!

You must be real old if both are decommissioned

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread