My Kid Has Officially Joined The Navy - Aviation Ordnanceman

Mike

It has been a long journey, but the physical is done, oath has been taken, and papers have been signed. Emily will be leaving for boot camp early in March, possibly beginning of February if an opening can be created.

When the journey began, my advice strongly pushed her to joined the Marine Corps, if not that, then the Navy. Initially, it was the USMC. After a while, that decision changed to Navy. A few months ago, it changed back to USMC, complete with attending Poolee training twice a week with the local recruiter. After showing everyone there that she could not only compete with, but outperform most of the guys in the workouts, she did what any sensible girl would do and change her mind again. Once again, opting for Navy.

I have to admit, I had selfish reasons for the Marine Corps. I really wanted to see her there, and see her accomplish the training to become a Marine. That said, job opportunities are very limited. Jobs she liked, she couldn't qualify for due to being just an inch too short. Not sure what is so important about being 64 inches tall, but oh well. Their loss.

Yesterday, she left the recruiting office for MEPS in Little Rock. Arriving there, she took the ASVAB. She had a list of jobs available to her from when she took the test back in high school. After taking the test, one additional job became available. AO - Aviation Ordnanceman.

If you know my girl, you know she isn't heavily into girly things. So, building bombs and strapping them to jets fits her perfectly. Only word of advice I can give here is don't drop the bomb, or else you will look like Achmed...... (hopefully, everyone knows who I am talking about). I Keel You!

While not a guarantee, this job likely puts her on an Aircraft Carrier. If I was gonna be in the Navy, I would want to be out on a ship, and definitely an aircraft carrier. Probably much more fun than calling in coordinates to fire the big guns of 3/11.

Physically, she is ready. Especially after the past few months of training to pass the PFT the Marine Corps. Mentally, I know boot camp will be the toughest thing she has had to deal with up to this point in her life. I'm positive she can handle it, though.

emilynavy.jpg

Last edited:
It has been a long journey, but the physical is done, oath has been taken, and papers have been signed. Emily will be leaving for boot camp early in March, possibly beginning of February if an opening can be created.

When the journey began, my advice strongly pushed her to joined the Marine Corps, if not that, then the Navy. Initially, it was the USMC. After a while, that decision changed to Navy. A few months ago, it changed back to USMC, complete with attending Poolee training twice a week with the local recruiter. After showing everyone there that she could not only compete with, but outperform most of the guys in the workouts, she did what any sensible girl would do and change her mind again. Once again, opting for Navy.

I have to admit, I had selfish reasons for the Marine Corps. I really wanted to see her there, and see her accomplish the training to become a Marine. That said, job opportunities are very limited. Jobs she liked, she couldn't qualify for due to being just an inch too short. Not sure what is so important about being 64 inches tall, but oh well. Their loss.

Yesterday, she left the recruiting office for MEPS in Little Rock. Arriving there, she took the ASVAB. She had a list of jobs available to her from when she took the test back in high school. After taking the test, one additional job became available. AO - Aviation Ordnanceman.

If you know my girl, you know she isn't heavily into girly things. So, building bombs and strapping them to jets fits her perfectly. Only word of advice I can give here is don't drop the bomb, or else you will look like Achmed...... (hopefully, everyone knows who I am talking about). I Keel You!

While not a guarantee, this job likely puts her on an Aircraft Carrier. If I was gonna be in the Navy, I would want to be out on a ship, and definitely an aircraft carrier. Probably much more fun than calling in coordinates to fire the big guns of 3/11.

Physically, she is ready. Especially after the past few months of training to pass the PFT the Marine Corps. Mentally, I know boot camp will be the toughest thing she has had to deal with up to this point in her life. I'm positive she can handle it, though.

Congrats @Mike ...you have every reason to be "proud"..

I'll pray we don't start a full blown war with Iran

Congrats. She will have the time of her life.

Well — welcome to the family. Junior squid started boot in May, A- school in July, C- school in September and is now a certified AM in a P8 squadron. Boot camp is mostly mental— boy said that most that drop are the ones that can’t deal with being screamed at (May want to start some intense training right away) and PT test fails. Hard, but in no way impossible. AO is a good rate — worked around them a lot back in the day. She gets through Boot, and she will love it. Make sure you go to Sarge’s party the night before graduation if you make to Great Lakes. Let her know we are happy for and proud of her. Whoooya!!

Well — welcome to the family. Junior squid started boot in May, A- school in July, C- school in September and is now a certified AM in a P8 squadron. Boot camp is mostly mental— boy said that most that drop are the ones that can’t deal with being screamed at (May want to start some intense training right away) and PT test fails. Hard, but in no way impossible. AO is a good rate — worked around them a lot back in the day. She gets through Boot, and she will love it. Make sure you go to Sarge’s party the night before graduation if you make to Great Lakes. Let her know we are happy for and proud of her. Whoooya!!

Thanks,

I will definitely be up there for graduation.

Clue me in on Sarge's party.

That?

Thanks,

I will definitely be up there for graduation.

Clue me in on Sarge's party.
A local Vietnam Army vet that tried to retire and couldn’t do it so he started a cab company catering to the military and family — he throws a catered party for family members the night before graduation free of charge (healthy donation highly recommended) and it was a blast. The wife gave me this screenshot to pass on — lot of good information. We stayed at the Navy Lodge and it was great. Wife says she is all in passing on information — PM me and I will line it up if you want 30732647-D7F9-445C-8C72-134B7BEAABC3.jpeg30732647-D7F9-445C-8C72-134B7BEAABC3.jpeg

Congratulations.....she got spark is going to do good....

My sil just graduated from Navy basic in April. We moved them to Jacksonville in August.

I took my daughter to his graduation in April. We came down with the RV and stayed at the RV park on base.

The graduation is actually off the naval Base. So there's benefits of not staying on base.
Midway Ceremonial Drill Hall
Ohio St, North Chicago, IL 60088

We went to Sarge's party and left before it started. Daughter was surprised how much of the information her husband had already given her. She looked at me and asked to leave. We we didn't stick around.

Congratulations Mike, and thank her for her willingness to serve!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread