Minnesota trucker Larry Kautz has heart for helping others

Mike

The people of Rector, embattled with difficult conditions due to extended power outages following the recent ice storm, received a helping hand from a thoughtful individual most in the area have never had the opportunity to meet. Larry Kautz, who owns and operates his own trucking company in Pine Island, Minn., has been hauling freight through Rector on his way to Missouri for the past three years. In that time, Kautz says he has enjoyed his routine trek through the small town, noting the beauty of Memorial Park and the overall small town atmosphere.

Two weeks ago, Kautz was hauling freight from Paragould when he saw the results of the massive ice storm's impact on Rector.

"I wouldn't have recognized it if I didn't know where I was," Kautz said. "The town was just devastated. It was terrible. I've never seen anything like it. It reminded me of Hattiesburg, Miss., during Katrina. It was just a shocking site."

Kautz made up his mind right then he was going to do whatever he could to help the small community he had enjoyed passing through for years. Kautz said he was able to determine the Rector Community Center had been set up as a shelter by the number of vehicles in the parking lot. He stopped in and met with city superintendent Todd Watson to learn more of the situation.

"I knew I wanted to help immediately," Kautz said. "I asked around and made a list of what they could use most so that when I got back home, we could start getting as much together as we could."

Full Story

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread