Mexico To Strike If Trucks Are Banned From United States

Mike

Mexico is threatening tough trade retaliation if Congress and the Obama administration move ahead with proposals that would ban Mexican truckers from travelling throughout the United States, as spelled out in the North American Free Trade Agreement (Nafta).

The pending confrontation could prove to be contentious, fraught with even more potential peril than the recent "Buy America" flap over steel, according to trade sources in Washington.

Sources confirmed that Arturo Sarukhan, Mexico's ambassador to the United States, outlined his country's trade retaliation plans at a closed-door meeting with key Washington policymakers, including congressional staffers and lobbyists, at a Georgetown hotel this month.

Full Story

Actually, to read the full story, you have to subscribe to the site on that link.

Let'em strike. Without us they are a 3rd world country anyways. America has issues it needs to resolve before worrying about some 3rd world nation who is controlled by drug dealers .

nah, can't be the citizens, maybe they are going to quit sending over their drugs....

No, that can't be it either.

I'm stumped :)

Hell go ahead.
Means more jobs for Americans.
Oh, someone will say the opposite but stop and think.
If you can't get your products out of Mexico, then maybe it's time to move the factories back home. Also more American truck driving jobs.
Hell it's looking like Mexico could self-destruct any day now. I feel bad for'em but we got our own problems here.

Might I point something out? If there's only a few Mexican truck companies crossing into America...as we are constantly being led to believe...then why is the Mexican gov't so up-in-arms about the closing of the Cross-border program. This article only supports the understanding there's a large number of Mexican trucks on American soil taking loads away from American truckers...AND...creating the rediculous low rates we're experiencing - especially throughout the southern and mid-west states.

The Mexican gov't can't maintain security along their side of our southern border...yet they're fighting, with threat of strike, if our gov't acts according to the will of the American people. And our gov't has to think about this? Our gov't is having closed-door meetings with Mexican officials, but not listening to the American people. What's wrong here?

-ss-

Why I hate illegals.Speaking of which,the news is saying some of our stimulus will be helping the mexican illegals.Isn't that nice of our country?Guess that should have went in the politic forum.Sorry bullwinkle.
Now your just starting my day "wrong" with that news Patty.....;)

A strike would hurt many companies. I've had to deliver/pick up in Laredo a few times. Most loads going into Mexico are taken by their drivers/companies. Loads coming out are handled the same way. Every morning there's a huge line at all the yards where trailers are dropped and picked up.

Now your just starting my day "wrong" with that news Patty.....;)
I appologize tnwife but I figure I might as well share it with others since lol.I did have a laugh though a tax payer sent the government a letter explaining why he refuses to pay his taxes and asked if he could be excused like you bosses at the white house that cheated on their taxes and did'nt have to pay a penality.

A strike would hurt many companies. I've had to deliver/pick up in Laredo a few times. Most loads going into Mexico are taken by their drivers/companies. Loads coming out are handled the same way. Every morning there's a huge line at all the yards where trailers are dropped and picked up.

Let the loads sit there and rot until they LISTEN TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND BRING OUR JOBS BACK!!!
If a CEO ships our jobs to another country, strip his citizenship, deport him and say adios amigo!!!
Let the SOBs strike. That's the first good news I've heard in a while.

I told y'all that some will say this will hurt, not help.
Well, how's it been working for y'all so far, following their "global economy" strategy.
Your wages higher? Better job? More security? Putting your kids thru college ok?
F*ck'em then!:paddle:

Dude.. Have you ever driven in Mexico? There's no way in HELL I'd want to take my rig across the border!

The way this usually works is the Mexican drivers deliver across the border into Laredo, where a US driver/company picks up the load and delivers it. Same with loads going into Mexico. It's dropped at the yard, where a Mexican driver/company picks it up to take across the border.

Many US companies refuse to allow their trucks to cross the border. Too many have been stolen, never to be seen again. Not to mention the insurance would be absolutely cost prohibitive.

Now.. Should there be limits on Mexican truck traffic? Yep.. Keep them to the border towns, but to place an outright ban on all truck traffic from Mexico is going to result in a lot less freight being shipped.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread