• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Mercer Cuts 200 Owner Operators From Fleet

Mike

The trucking industry was hit with another round of job cuts recently – sidelining yet another group of owner-operators.

Dale Corum, general manager at Mercer Transportation confirmed to Land Line Magazine on Friday, March 6, that hundreds of owner-operators who were leased to the company, including some OOIDA members, were cut loose – adding to the casualties of the tough economic times facing the country.

“Unfortunately, this was something we had to do to keep our fleet healthy,” Corum told Land Line Magazine. “We are hoping that when the economic climate improves that we can call some of these guys back up and put them to work for us, but freight has to pick up a great deal before this happens.”

Corum, who has been with Mercer for 32 years, said the past three weeks have been the most “gut-wrenching” of his entire career there.

“I’ve known some of these guys for a long time, and you build these relationships. So it’s hard when you have to make these decisions that are going to put people out of work because these are real good people,” he said. “I hope they land on their feet.”

Full Story

The trucking industry was hit with another round of job cuts recently – sidelining yet another group of owner-operators.

Dale Corum, general manager at Mercer Transportation confirmed to Land Line Magazine on Friday, March 6, that hundreds of owner-operators who were leased to the company, including some OOIDA members, were cut loose – adding to the casualties of the tough economic times facing the country.

“Unfortunately, this was something we had to do to keep our fleet healthy,” Corum told Land Line Magazine. “We are hoping that when the economic climate improves that we can call some of these guys back up and put them to work for us, but freight has to pick up a great deal before this happens.”

Corum, who has been with Mercer for 32 years, said the past three weeks have been the most “gut-wrenching” of his entire career there.

“I’ve known some of these guys for a long time, and you build these relationships. So it’s hard when you have to make these decisions that are going to put people out of work because these are real good people,” he said. “I hope they land on their feet.”

Full Story
I hate hearing of more layoffs.I'm sure other companies will soon be doing the same thing.

Cuts are never easy

I personally was never unemployed in my life until myself and 20+ other Owner/ops were cut from Boyd Brothers back in October. What a helpless feeling that day was. When you put your heart and soul into doing a good job for someone only to be dumped when times get tough is no way to do business and the way they did it was just wrong. It will be hard to put trust back into any company again. Just another reason to have an emergency fund set aside. This economy will turn around and those who hang in there will emerge stronger than ever. Most carriers I feel are above board and do communicate just what is going on, but always be prepared for the worst. By the way, I leased on to another company who at least communicates about the load volume. It's still slow but we are not starving.

I hate hearing of more layoffs.I'm sure other companies will soon be doing the same thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread