Weather Report: Massive Winter Storm from Midwest to Northeast this Weekend thru Monday

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Supporter
A powerful winter storm is expected to dump snow and ice across the Midwest and Northeast this weekend.

Early indications suggest wintry precipitation is possibly Saturday as the winter storm transitions from Midwest states to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, while heavy snow could fall in some areas.

We noted on Monday how the Global Forecast System (GFS) data shows Old Man Winter will return to the Northeast on Friday with average temperatures from Washington, D.C., to Boston around 25 to 34 degrees.

This could make conditions ripe for a snowstorm over the weekend.

The National Weather Service (NWS) is projecting that snow and ice could be seen on early Saturday for Mid-Atlantic states, with mixed precipitation in the afternoon. The further north, the higher the probability of significant snowfall.

"Although confidence continues to increase on the potential for a winter storm for parts of our area (above average confidence for this time range, in fact), it is still too early to get into specifics on timing and amounts of different precipitation types given ... this is still 4 to 5 days away," NWS said Tuesday.

Henry Margusity, a meteorologist for Weather Madness, provides several weather charts that indicate the storm could quickly impact tens of millions of folks in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast this weekend.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Temp has dropped 15° here in Minneapolis in an hour
Yeah, wife and dad are telling me to stay out here in Idaho.

I got a load that finals in Chicagoland over the weekend.

All going to farms so call for 7-day a week delivery.

Be interesting to see how this load plays out on me weather-wise

IMG_20200115_145904147~2.jpg

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Yeah, wife and dad are telling me to stay out here in Idaho.

I got a load that finals in Chicagoland over the weekend.

All going to farms so call for 7-day a week delivery.

Be interesting to see how this load plays out on me weather-wise

View attachment 56601
Looks like you're going to look out and just catch the very bottom of it for the most part. Although the way you're running their you're going to have to cross that ice band somewhere

Mike

Staff member
A powerful winter storm is expected to dump snow and ice across the Midwest and Northeast this weekend.

Early indications suggest wintry precipitation is possibly Saturday as the winter storm transitions from Midwest states to the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, while heavy snow could fall in some areas.

We noted on Monday how the Global Forecast System (GFS) data shows Old Man Winter will return to the Northeast on Friday with average temperatures from Washington, D.C., to Boston around 25 to 34 degrees.

This could make conditions ripe for a snowstorm over the weekend.

The National Weather Service (NWS) is projecting that snow and ice could be seen on early Saturday for Mid-Atlantic states, with mixed precipitation in the afternoon. The further north, the higher the probability of significant snowfall.

"Although confidence continues to increase on the potential for a winter storm for parts of our area (above average confidence for this time range, in fact), it is still too early to get into specifics on timing and amounts of different precipitation types given ... this is still 4 to 5 days away," NWS said Tuesday.

Henry Margusity, a meteorologist for Weather Madness, provides several weather charts that indicate the storm could quickly impact tens of millions of folks in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast this weekend.
Thanks, I was planning gob posting this, now it’s one less thing I have to do.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
New York is already issuing travel bans.

View attachment 56600
Cuomo is still Governor of NY State? How have they not fired that guy yet? NIne years.

Upstate western New york is a bitch in the winter, lake effect snow all the time. Factor in a storm moving in from the west, It is not going to be pretty.

I hope everyone stays safe out there. Shut 'er down if it gets too dicey out there.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Premium
Blew into the Windy tonight on the tail end of it. 33-34° F Murican temperature the whole way... just rain. A few hours earlier? There's a bunch of tow drivers making bank tonight!

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
New Paris OHio waiting for it to pass. Getting in my reset. I would guess there’s about a quarter inch on ice on the truck. I’m fixing to venture out. The pavement doesn’t look too bad but we will see.

Family in Omaha said it wasn’t anything super big just an average winter storm. Not the doom and gloom the weather channel makes it out to be.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
New Paris OHio waiting for it to pass. Getting in my reset. I would guess there’s about a quarter inch on ice on the truck. I’m fixing to venture out. The pavement doesn’t look too bad but we will see.

Family in Omaha said it wasn’t anything super big just an average winter storm. Not the doom and gloom the weather channel makes it out to be.
A strange storm for thiis time of year. It's rare to get SE blizzards up here, and they usually happen in the early Spring .

It's bad enough I-29 is closed from Grand Forks to Sioux City, and I-94 from Fargo to Bismarck.

Sinister

You know what, Stuart? I like you!
Staff member
Supporter
A strange storm for thiis time of year. It's rare to get SE blizzards up here, and they usually happen in the early Spring .

It's bad enough I-29 is closed from Grand Forks to Sioux City, and I-94 from Fargo to Bismarck.

I left Wilson, WI and made it all the way to Albert Lea. I'm shut down again. On my way to Mitchell, SD. The winter storm warning is over, but the wind still has the blizzard warning out. A couple times south of Owatonna I was at near zero visibility. If I had headed west on 90, I'd have really been bucking the wind, and some places still have 50mph gusts. 90 is shut down totally in SD.

So Saturdays load to Mitchell will be delivered Sunday, and probably wont get home until Monday.

Duck

Talks to Mice
Supporter
I left Wilson, WI and made it all the way to Albert Lea. I'm shut down again. On my way to Mitchell, SD. The winter storm warning is over, but the wind still has the blizzard warning out. A couple times south of Owatonna I was at near zero visibility. If I had headed west on 90, I'd have really been bucking the wind, and some places still have 50mph gusts. 90 is shut down totally in SD.

So Saturdays load to Mitchell will be delivered Sunday, and probably wont get home until Monday.
Go get drunk and pretend you're waiting on permits. 😎

Duck

Talks to Mice
Supporter

Go get drunk and pretend you're waiting on permits. 😎
Then get on here and drunk post for our entertainment, as Shreck has suggested.