Maggie

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
About two weeks ago, I noticed a small dog running around on my property. I thought it might be somebody's dog running loose because that's pretty common in my area. But the dog just kept hanging around. I started trying to catch it, but it was always too quick. On Memorial Day, I was leaving to go on a four-day run and the little creature was walking down the middle of my street. I tried once again to catch it, but failed.

Thursday, I returned home to see the animal in my front yard trying to eat bark off a stick. I walked up behind it and simply scooped it up off the ground. A quick peek told me I had a little female. She was about the sorriest looking rack of bones I've ever seen. And she was tiny. She made a couple of feeble attempts to bite me, but failed miserably.

I dug the only thing a dog might like out of my refrigerator, which was a days-old chicken thigh. I peeled the meat off and hand-fed it to her. She was soooo hungry. I didn't have anything else because I had no plans to have a dog, didn't want a dog and even if I did want a dog, it would be at least bigger than a guinea pig. My last dog was a Basenji passed 2015. I had to head to the grocery store for dog food.

After getting the food home, I gave her about a tablespoonful because refeeding has to start slow, in small amounts. My goodness, she stunk! After the meal and a nice nap on my lap, I put her in the kitchen sink for a bath. She settled into the warm water like she hadn't felt something so wonderful in her life and accepted the bath with no fuss or fight at all.

The pathetic little thing had bug bites all over her belly, her nails were way too long on all but her right front paw, she was absolutely filthy and I could see she had few teeth remaining. Most of the stink was coming from her mouth...and it was horrendous.

Friday, I had to take her in the truck with me for a day run. I was considering what to do with her. I had posted a found dog notice and searched for a lost dog matching her description, but got no results either way. I could tell she had a raging infection in her mouth, so I was able to score an emergency vet visit on Saturday with the same vet who had cared for my Basenji.

When the doctor came in, I told him I brought him a mouse. His assessment was she's roughly six years old and had been severely neglected, with indicators suggesting she was a puppy mill breeder that had been thrown away. Her tail is docked and she walked with a hunched up back like she was used to living in a confined space. She had no identifier chip, no tags and no tattoo. Other than her weight and dental issues, she appeared healthy. She was 4 lb 2 oz. The vet said her ideal weight should be about 5 1/2 to 6 pounds.And her dental work will be around $700. I was given an antibiotic, an appointment for Tuesday morning for the dental and a $164 bill for the office visit, which included a fecal parasite check and blood labs.

This little dog is super affectionate, well mannered and confident around people. She shows no aggression or fear toward anybody. And she has managed to wrap me around her little paw. I gave up trying to rehome her. She picked me, so I guess she found her way home.

And now, I have a damn dog.

She's the Magnificent MicroMutt. Maggie for short.

Think it's possible some old lady nearby died and that's her dog?

Congrats. Very sweet looking dog. I’m a sucker for a cutie in a fur coat.

around here there is a social website for neighborhoods.The most posts is for found or lost animals.

nextdoor.com

Update from the vet: She had to lose every last tooth she had. All of them were severely infected. I hope to never meet the person who neglected her and then turned her out.
even so, she will adapt. of course you will be buying soft canned food for her..she will not miss them, she's got you. most likely, she will become very protective of you too.....

she knows who taking care of her, and if you catch that bastoidavitch, kick him in the nads in my name.

Maggie will make an awesome truck dog!!
Good on ya, @Injun
Yes, she will. She took to it really well the couple of times I had her on.

My text to the boss: You know how sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission?
His response: What did you do now?

I sent him a picture and told him I have a dog on the truck. He says that's not a dog. THIS (picture of a behemoth) is a dog. He's okay with ber being on the truck.

All is well in MicroMutt-dom.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread