Looking to get back into the industry

icecold24k

Okay just looking for a little advice here. I am a former driver and have been out of the industry about 10 years now. I began my career with Swift Transportation and drove for them about 8 or 9 months. At the time I made a stupid decision and quit no notice while leaving the terminal for home time. Immediately after I went to work with a regional company that delivered to local food service establishments. I worked there maybe a month or 2 then left the industry all together.

Since this time I have maintained steady employment with long term jobs, 2 jobs in the last 10 years. Over the last year or so I have been strongly considering getting back into driving. I just miss it in a way if that makes sense. I am more grown and mature now and really am sure I want to do this.

My question would be, how would I go about getting back into the industry. CDL school is so expensive and I can't exactly afford it right now. I don't want to just leave my job unless I am sure I have employment lined up. Should I maybe try to go back with Swift? Is it even possible? I do know they own their own driving schools. I liked driving for them in all honesty and they kept me busy with decent miles. Also I no longer have my CDL I did let it go. Is a refresher course possible? Any other possible companies? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help and I may have more questions to follow.

Leaving swift hanging no notice is the worst way to leave a trucking job I would say 99% they would not want you back and sorry you still sound like you are not sure about trucking it is long long hours and hard work ,But as Duck said you would have to start from day one. Stay where you are I would say. good luck.

The only mistake I see you made was letting your cdl go.

As to swift, eh, a boner but how many drivers do you think do that to them daily. Give them a call. The worst they can do is say no. Since you already have a file, talk nice to them, explain what's happened and it could turn to your benefit.

As to getting your cdl back, well, at least the training will be easier this time around.

If you already know how to drive, why not just take the test with the state and not go to school?
I never really thought about that. I am currently studying the CDL manual and taking a lot of the practice tests. This is a good option, after a quick google search I had a few problems finding a road skill tester, but I am sure when the time comes I will.
Leaving swift hanging no notice is the worst way to leave a trucking job I would say 99% they would not want you back and sorry you still sound like you are not sure about trucking it is long long hours and hard work ,But as Duck said you would have to start from day one. Stay where you are I would say. good luck.
Thanks and I do understand it was a huge mistake I made. It was 10 years ago but if they say no then they say no.
The only mistake I see you made was letting your cdl go.

As to swift, eh, a boner but how many drivers do you think do that to them daily. Give them a call. The worst they can do is say no. Since you already have a file, talk nice to them, explain what's happened and it could turn to your benefit.

As to getting your cdl back, well, at least the training will be easier this time around.
I may give them a call just to see. The worst that can happen is they say no. I am currently studying to at least get my permit back for now which is a start.

well if you hadn't let your cdl go, there are small o/o that will give people a chance...was reading through your posting and seen you dropped it. too bad too..unfortunately for both of us.

It was over ten years ago.

It was over ten years ago.

For real.
Ancient history.
:toothpick:

Few things could make much difference after ten years.

Only things that spring to mind are the jerk that asked my wife out 35 years ago...

And the time Carlos Santana blew off a show I paid good money for in 1973.
:mad:

I wouldn't hire that unreliable SOB for a birthday party.
Carlos, I mean.
I don't recall that other prinks name.
;)

I'm sorry if a lot of you think 10 years ago is a long time that a driver just left a company with out notice and it may forgive that mistake, maybe they will , in my 42+ years that is a mistake not to ever forgive the driver will do it again at some time and it leaves the owner holding the lose of a load and or cost. I wish him well and good luck. as a past O/O I would not hire a driver who just up and left with out notice ever again.

I'm sorry if a lot of you think 10 years ago is a long time that a driver just left a company with out notice and it may forgive that mistake, maybe they will , in my 42+ years that is a mistake not to ever forgive the driver will do it again at some time and it leaves the owner holding the lose of a load and or cost. I wish him well and good luck. as a past O/O I would not hire a driver who just up and left with out notice ever again.
He said he quit while leaving the terminal for home time. That means he either didn't have a load planned, or they had plenty of time to cover it. And since it was a terminal he was leaving, it also means he didn't abandon the truck.

He'll be fine.

True except I didn't quit under dispatch. I was out for about 35 days and was going home for 4 days of scheduled time at home. I simply parked my truck at the home terminal and turned my keys into my DM and told her I was leaving the company. I understand the way I did it was wrong and possibly unforgivable. I respect that you wouldn't hire a driver back that did that as well. If they chose not to hire me back so be it. Lesson learned on my part. I was a lot younger and very unwise at the time. Thank you for the well wishes and also for yours and every ones help on this forum you guys have been more than amazing.

True except I didn't quit under dispatch. I was out for about 35 days and was going home for 4 days of scheduled time at home. I simply parked my truck at the home terminal and turned my keys into my DM and told her I was leaving the company. I understand the way I did it was wrong and possibly unforgivable. I respect that you wouldn't hire a driver back that did that as well. If they chose not to hire me back so be it. Lesson learned on my part. I was a lot younger and very unwise at the time. Thank you for the well wishes and also for yours and every ones help on this forum you guys have been more than amazing.
Maybe you will get that second chance good luck wish you well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread