Owner Operator Looking to develop a relationship with a carrier.

Terry S

I'm rather new to industry, just got my CDL back in January. I was recently speaking with someone about purchasing a truck and leasing it to them. For some reason, I can't seem to get a phone call returned so I'm thinking this company may not be reliable. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of companies that would be interested in managing my truck. Hopefully there is someone out there that would be interested in expanding their business. If anyone has any suggestions you can email me at [email protected] or I'll be looking for responses.

Thanks

I'm rather new to industry, just got my CDL back in January. I was recently speaking with someone about purchasing a truck and leasing it to them. For some reason, I can't seem to get a phone call returned so I'm thinking this company may not be reliable. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of companies that would be interested in managing my truck. Hopefully there is someone out there that would be interested in expanding their business. If anyone has any suggestions you can email me at [email protected] or I'll be looking for responses.

Thanks
there is a good possibility, that given your lack of experience, is the reason they did not call you back.

i'd recommend that you "just be a driver" for someone, for at the very least 1 to 5 years, to gain as much experience as you can, and SAVE up more money for a better down payment.

good luck

I'm looking to purchase the truck and I don't plan on driving it. I'm currently working and I'm not in a position to leave my job right now.

I'm looking to purchase the truck and I don't plan on driving it. I'm currently working and I'm not in a position to leave my job right now.
you would have to vette that driver, or pay a pretty penny for someone to do that for you. the costs are going to be outragous, and then you have to actually worry about accidents, or equipment abadonment.

it would still be owned by you..the insurance alone will kill you.

if someone does take such a chance on you, expect higher than normal monies to be paid out.

kind of a waste that you went and got your CDL, when you do decide to get going, you might be REQUIRED to take a refresher course.

I want to be sure I am comprehending this correctly.

You want to lease your truck onto another carrier so they can run it.

Are you planning on hiring the driver and being responsible for paying that driver?

I'm thinking the carrier would hire the driver although I would pay the driver.

I spoke to someone at the Mid American Truck Show a few weeks back that proposed this kind of arrangement so I'm thinking there are other companies that would be interested.

I spoke to someone at the Mid American Truck Show a few weeks back that proposed this kind of arrangement so I'm thinking there are other companies that would be interested.
Some random trucker or showman proposing a BS arrangement doesn't make it a thing.

All you'd be doing is renting out the truck and holding the driver salary hostage to pay for it. Meantime the driver has no leverage because his employer isn't the one paying him and the one paying him isn't his employer.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

and why would you trust someone else with your truck :confused-96:

This whole concept makes no sense at all. With all the costs, liability and finding a decent driver who won't drive the crap out of your truck or abandon your truck and load in the middle of no where, I would hope you'd see the error in this type of investment.

How do you think you'll make money and pay off the truck with someone else driving it? If you're so inclined to invest in something, look at real estate. This isn't the industry you're looking for.

This whole concept makes no sense at all. With all the costs, liability and finding a decent driver who won't drive the crap out of your truck or abandon your truck and load in the middle of no where, I would hope you'd see the error in this type of investment.

How do you think you'll make money and pay off the truck with someone else driving it? If you're so inclined to invest in something, look at real estate. This isn't the industry you're looking for.
Thank you sue!!!

Real estate would be a better investment than forking out all that $$$ for a truck and taking that chance on someone that might screw you over. Depending where you are you can make some boco money depending on how good you are

The concept isn’t foreign at all. There are people with small fleets of trucks leased to places such as Landstar and others.

It is my understanding that they hire the drivers, though.

The concept isn’t foreign at all. There are people with small fleets of trucks leased to places such as Landstar and others.

Nobody's arguing the leased to a carrier concept. I mean....FedEx.

But you bet your rear end that it was Vasily Transport LLC that hired Mikhail "Joe" Davidovich to drive their truck. FedEx hires drivers to drive their own trucks.

I know landstar does this, but I'm not aware of anyone else. Like Mike said, I'm pretty sure there are other companies that do it though. From what I have understood with landstar though, drivers can call them but they send them to their available truck owners which would be you and you actually have to hire them. That was the jest of how I understood it to work. Even landstar doesn't advertised that they do that though, so even if you do get it leased in this way, you might wait no telling how long for the first driver to contact you. The next option is to buy the truck, hire a driver and find a local broker to work with to dispatch the truck for you. This is how half the grain hauler business works. To do this though, you are likely going to have to lease a trailer for whatever you want the truck to haul. There are options, but starting out in trucking like this is a really bad idea in so many ways, I can't even count them. I could introduce you to a man that is doing this with three trucks in the grain hauling business and he will tell you point blank that even with his many years experience in driving and brokering, it is nearly impossible to keep up with and keep running. I would plan on driving the truck myself or not try at all. Jmho

Here's the bottom line:
If you persist in this crazy idea, and you probably will by the sound of it, you are going to lose your ass. After you do, remember I told you so.

One of my brothers had a job once down in Florida driving a dump truck for a guy out of state who’d bought it just to diversify his revenue stream. My brother ran the truck as his own and was responsible for maintenance, etc.

I think it sorta fell apart when the guy realized how expensive running a truck is, given that this thing was brand spanking new...

Thanks

Express Auto looking for O/O with own equipment.
92% Of the gross.
We book you loads.
We manage all your back office paper work.
Helping with filling for own authority.
DM for any additional information

[email protected]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread