Looking into the new Tech in the 2020 Freightliner

BrianB

Does anyone in here (Bay Area, CA - flexible to meet anywhere in NorCal) have a 2020 Cascadia that’s equipped with the newest safety systems and would be willing to show me around and maybe take me and my co-driver on a ride? (compensation provided of course)Safety systems I am interested in to understand more and if it’s actually worth it
  • Detroit Assurance 5.0
  • Active Lane Assist
  • Side Guard Assist (but lower priority)
****************************************************************************************************************
Please let me give you a little info on myself. I have only been an OO in name... My dads name was on the truck. everything else was my responsibility. That was 30 years ago, yeah I know right!? lol.
I have been a company driver for 25 or so years. I looking at these new Trucks and making sure I get the best "bang for the buck" That's what I'm here for. The only one responsible for my success is me. A friend recommended these forums. So here I am. Sarcasm is deeply embedded into the Divers life so bring it on I can handle it! ^_^
*****************************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Dealers are dealers drivers are drivers. The truth (for the most part) comes from drivers.
Just my opinion. Thank you for your feedback though.

That Detroit 5.0 system is the worst thing to happen to trucks since Opti-Idle start/stop systems.

I drove one here at Walmart for one week and wanted to jump out of the truck as it sped down the highway. Unless it's turned off, I don't know if I'll be able to continue working here when it's 100% fleet wide. And here I thought I was going to retire at this place. What also irritates me is that in 2016 when I hired on here they were testing some sort of lane alert/assist system. It was so annoying they rejected it. Now all of a sudden it's, "Oh, sorry, it's standard now."

It is most certainly NOT standard, I see plenty of brand new trucks that don't have this system installed. You can tell by the large black plastic module on the right side skirting, or conspicuous lack thereof.

We have it on all the new trucks coming in, and I don't know why anyone isn't screaming about it. Because of the virus, I've been temporarily assigned to a 2018. It's still a manual 10 speed, and "only" has the On Guard and a blind spot alert on the right side. Except that one week I've been able to avoid having to drive those trucks with it equipped.

That 5.0 system is utterly intolerable. If you're the type who rides the fog line, as I am, and as there's nothing wrong with, you'll find yourself hitting the SILENCE button every 15 minutes. It's your only reprieve. It mutes the radio every single time it goes off.

The flashing left side/right side alert display on the cluster is a huge distraction too. Flash/blink. Flash/blink.

It's way over the top intrusive, and utterly unnecessary. The giant module in the middle of the windshield almost interferes with your entire view.

Not to mention the veiled insult contained in it. After 25+ years all of a sudden I need things beeping and booping at me constantly as a "safety device"?

Stick it. Right where the sun don't shine.

It should be rejected by the entire industry, period. We're past the point of beneficial technology. This is the area of diminishing returns.

That Detroit 5.0 system is the worst thing to happen to trucks since Opti-Idle start/stop systems.

I drove one here at Walmart for one week and wanted to jump out of the truck as it sped down the highway. Unless it's turned off, I don't know if I'll be able to continue working here when it's 100% fleet wide. And here I thought I was going to retire at this place. What also irritates me is that in 2016 when I hired on here they were testing some sort of lane alert/assist system. It was so annoying they rejected it. Now all of a sudden it's, "Oh, sorry, it's standard now."

It is most certainly NOT standard, I see plenty of brand new trucks that don't have this system installed. You can tell by the large black plastic module on the right side skirting, or conspicuous lack thereof.

We have it on all the new trucks coming in, and I don't know why anyone isn't screaming about it. Because of the virus, I've been temporarily assigned to a 2018. It's still a manual 10 speed, and "only" has the On Guard and a blind spot alert on the right side. Except that one week I've been able to avoid having to drive those trucks with it equipped.

That 5.0 system is utterly intolerable. If you're the type who rides the fog line, as I am, and as there's nothing wrong with, you'll find yourself hitting the SILENCE button every 15 minutes. It's your only reprieve. It mutes the radio every single time it goes off.

The flashing left side/right side alert display on the cluster is a huge distraction too. Flash/blink. Flash/blink.

It's way over the top intrusive, and utterly unnecessary. The giant module in the middle of the windshield almost interferes with your entire view.

Not to mention the veiled insult contained in it. After 25+ years all of a sudden I need things beeping and booping at me constantly as a "safety device"?

Stick it. Right where the sun don't shine.

It should be rejected by the entire industry, period. We're past the point of beneficial technology. This is the area of diminishing returns.
I drove a 2016 with that lane keeping crap at Schneider. That was irritating as all h***. I couldn't even handle it for 100 miles. Fortunately it was disabled on our local trucks. The regionals still had it.

BTW that buzzer scared me enough to make me jerk the wheel the first time I heard it. Fortunately towards the shoulder. Nobody told me about it so I didn't know what it was. I kept looking around trying to figure out what was wrong with the truck, which made me weave, which made it buzz more. It was ridiculous.

Doesn't have the steer assist on these. Only the booooop and mute the radio and flashing dash display.
See. There's good technology and there's bad technology. Good technology aids in efficiency and safety. Bad technology causes distraction and stress. This is bad technology.

But for all the rattles and noise, my old truck is a peaceful place to be.

A driver wants his music and his CB. That's it. And the roar of the diesel intake isn't that bothersome.

I think the older I get, the more peaceful I want my life to be, and that intrusiveness is the opposite.

I keep the CB squelch just high enough to eliminate the static as well. Some guys run the static for max range. I can't stand it unless I'm specifically listening for something.

Doesn't have the steer assist on these. Only the booooop and mute the radio and flashing dash display. Are you saying that the 2020 doesn't have the "steer assist"?
Are you saying that the 2020 doesn't have the "steer assist"? Or did I miss something?

Traction control is standard although you can spec a switch to turn it off. None of the rest is standard equipment. Daytime running lights are standard too, again you can spec a blink switch for them as well. I didn’t want either.

@Sinister what’s wrong with opti idle? I did spec that and a bergstrom nite apu system

Theres no way stopping and starting an engine umpteen times is a good thing.

Not only starting it constantly, but immediately cranking the RPM to ridiculous levels cant be healthy either.

All of this is to me common sense. Despite what a manufacturer tells you.

They want you buying more engines.

Theres no way stopping and starting an engine umpteen times is a good thing.

Not only starting it constantly, but immediately cranking the RPM to ridiculous levels cant be healthy either.

All of this is to me common sense. Despite what a manufacturer tells you.

They want you buying more engines.
You know it can be programmed how you want, it can also be enabled or disabled by the driver.

I’ve not used it yet, so you have more experience with it than I do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread