Lawmakers lash back at cross-border plan

Mike

Questions of legal authority, irresponsible spending and national security plagued the newly unveiled plan to open the border to long-haul trucks, even as the DOT pushed forward and officially published the plan.

The Department of Transportation released a plan on Friday, April 8, that published in the Federal Register on Wednesday, April 13. The 30-day comment period is set to end on Friday, May 13.

The Obama administration’s plan to phase in a cross-border program that would result in permanent operating authority drew immediate fire from one U.S. lawmaker.

Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-OR, sent a letter to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood that requests “written justification of how DOT’s planned program complies with the requirements for pilot programs.”

DeFazio, working from preliminary details, wrote the letter calling for the justification nearly a month before the DOT unveiled the plan.

DeFazio’s letter questions the legal authority of DOT to implement a permanent program.

“A true pilot program should grant a discrete number of Mexican carriers the opportunity to operate beyond the commercial zones at the U.S.-Mexico border. The U.S. government would strictly monitor the operations of these carriers, and at the end of the pilot program, suspend any further operations while evaluating the results,” DeFazio wrote in his letter to LaHood.

Full Story

pardon me, but did the DOT not already have a "pilot" program in place, which was completed, and is now taking the next step in compliance with international trade agreements? Mabe DeFazio didn't read the same news articles I did regarding this.

If I remember the way this went, Obama made it one of his campaign promises to "shut down" the Pilot Program if he was elected. He kept his promise, then almost immediately explored opening it back up. The companies participating in the program had 16 months vested in the program when it was shut down I think.

Like it or dislike it, it is pointless to keep fighting the opening of the Mexican border to trucks. NAFTA was signed almost two decades ago, and this was part of the deal.

As for the complaints about the "unsafe trucks", I see plenty of American "junk" going down the roads today, and as far as I can remember, we didn't have any big problems with the Mexican trucks that crossed the border during the Pilot Program under President Bush. There is alot of talk about the Mexican Trucks and the condition they are in, however, most of that talk seems to be due to the trucks seen at the border. You might be surprised at how many of those trucks down in the corridor are American trucks. Those same junky trucks can be seen all over the United States in heavy industrial areas.

Mexican carriers will be checked out and given authority to operate based on how the company looks. This authority can be pulled just as easily as it was given if problems occur.

I think many people may be surprised to find that many of the regulations placed on Mexican drivers in Mexico is tougher than what American Drivers deal with.

Bottom line, fighting the opening of the U.S/Mexico border to trucks is a waste of time. You can fight to reverse the NAFTA treaty if you like, but focusing on one border is a waste of time.

Personally, I have no problems with both borders being open. I have driven into Canada in the past (in the beginning of NAFTA), and if the border area in Mexico becomes safer, I will have no problem driving into Mexico. Hell, I am going close to NYC this week, which is no safer, in my opinion than either of these borders.

That is the way I understand it as well Mike, and I agree with you completely. As I stated in another thread about this subject, it's a world economy, and trying to be isolationist isn't going to improve things here at all. It's a done deal, and now you can just try to ensure it is done properly.

As for the complaints about the "unsafe trucks", I see plenty of American "junk" going down the roads today, and as far as I can remember, we didn't have any big problems with the Mexican trucks that crossed the border during the Pilot Program under President Bush. There is alot of talk about the Mexican Trucks and the condition they are in, however, most of that talk seems to be due to the trucks seen at the border. You might be surprised at how many of those trucks down in the corridor are American trucks. Those same junky trucks can be seen all over the United States in heavy industrial areas.

What a shame that our brothers and sisters here don't have a better sense of pride, and a better understanding of what a "safe" operating condition means.

I think many people may be surprised to find that many of the regulations placed on Mexican drivers in Mexico is tougher than what American Drivers deal with.

Yes, but how often can we get away with non-compliance by bribing an official? You know that stuff goes on South of the border.

Bottom line, fighting the opening of the U.S/Mexico border to trucks is a waste of time. You can fight to reverse the NAFTA treaty if you like, but focusing on one border is a waste of time.

So true. You can't fight the government.

Hell, I am going close to NYC this week, which is no safer, in my opinion than either of these borders.

Yes it is a scary place, but English is the primary language. Yo no hablo español, hablo Inglés, por favor?

That is the way I understand it as well Mike, and I agree with you completely. As I stated in another thread about this subject, it's a world economy, and trying to be isolationist isn't going to improve things here at all. It's a done deal, and now you can just try to ensure it is done properly.

I disagree, the jobs being sent overseas are not doing us a bit of good, Yes, it keeps the price of some items and services down, but what good is that going to do for the Americans who have lost their jobs because of NAFTA, It doesn't matter how cheap an item is if you don't have a paycheck coming in to buy it. I really don't care if some African or Indian can now afford to buy a car when I have relatives that are living on handouts from other family members because he has been downsized and the only job he can get pays $8 an hour for 30 hours a week. We live in a very very rural area, now that this state has ruined the dairy industry and priced all factory jobs out of the area, ain't a whole lot to choose from. Those G.M. jobs that moved to mexico when they shut the local plant down look pretty good now, I bet even the out of work union guys would be willing to accept lower wages now.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie and spend money recklessly.They don't dare give money to the ones who really need it.Billions and billions for CRAP that is'nt even remotely close to fixing the economy.

They don't dare give money to the ones who really need it.Billions and billions for CRAP that is'nt even remotely close to fixing the economy.

That is because it's the very ones who need it that they take it from, when was the last time you saw somebody on welfare have a hard time paying their bills, now when was the last time you saw somebody who works for a living NOT have a hard time paying their bills?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread