Kentucky bill singles out trucks for left-lane ban

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
An effort underway at the Kentucky statehouse would impose left-lane restrictions on certain highways for professional drivers.

State law already requires vehicles traveling below the posted speed limit on any limited access highway of at least four lanes with a posted speed limit of at least 65 mph to stay to the right. Exceptions are made for passing, yielding to traffic entering the highway, or when it is unsafe to use the right lane.

Rep. Jody Richards, D-Bowling Green, has introduced a bill that would single out commercial vehicles. Specifically, his bill would prohibit vehicles weighing in excess of 44,000 pounds from driving in the left lane on the highways with at least three lanes of traffic and posted with speed limits of at least 65 mph.

full story

At the risk of being wildly unpopular I have to agree that the third lane should be for cars only.
Yeah, the whole I should be able to use whatever lane I want, blah,blah, blah :poop:
Courtesy and professionalism is what it is all about.
Trucks are big and slow, so let the 4 wheelers get around you and on down the road and on with the day.

At the risk of being wildly unpopular I have to agree that the third lane should be for cars only.
Yeah, the whole I should be able to use whatever lane I want, blah,blah, blah :poop:
Trucks are big and slow, so let the 4 wheelers get around you and on down the road and on with the day.
That works until you get a gaggle of governed trucks all clogged up because no-one can pass. I like to be able to get around them and carry on. Nothing worse than the elephant race of governed trucks trying to pass in neutered company rides.

That works until you get a gaggle of governed trucks all clogged up because no-one can pass. I like to be able to get around them and carry on. Nothing worse than the elephant race of governed trucks trying to pass in neutered company rides.
Exactly and that is exactly how John/Jane Q public feels sitting behind slow trucks 3 wide. They just want to get around and get on with their day.

Exactly and that is exactly how John/Jane Q public feels sitting behind slow trucks 3 wide. They just want to get around and get on with their day.
Then that's at least two dumb dwivahs if they are hogging 3 lanes.

Although, admittedly you could say three. Although the guy in the right lane is doing nothing "wrong", he could back out of it to let the passer complete the pass.

But that would require intelligence, courtesy, paying attention, situational awareness and lifting his cruise control. Wwwaaayyy too much to have to do. :rolleyes:
(Not saying you drive like that, or insinuating anything, just ranting)

Although, admittedly you could say three. Although the guy in the right lane is doing nothing "wrong", he could back out of it to let the passer complete the pass.

But that would require intelligence, courtesy, paying attention, situational awareness and lifting his cruise control. Wwwaaayyy too much to have to do. :rolleyes:

Just remember when you pass that black n chrome flatbedder with 11453 on the side if the bunk and he backs out of it flashes the lights or hollars on the CB you're clear....that was me. ;)

An effort underway at the Kentucky statehouse would impose left-lane restrictions on certain highways for professional drivers.

State law already requires vehicles traveling below the posted speed limit on any limited access highway of at least four lanes with a posted speed limit of at least 65 mph to stay to the right. Exceptions are made for passing, yielding to traffic entering the highway, or when it is unsafe to use the right lane.

Rep. Jody Richards, D-Bowling Green, has introduced a bill that would single out commercial vehicles. Specifically, his bill would prohibit vehicles weighing in excess of 44,000 pounds from driving in the left lane on the highways with at least three lanes of traffic and posted with speed limits of at least 65 mph.
full story
Cool I'll just bobtail @60.

Elephant is good. I always thought of them as buffalo because of the big body and small head that's lower than the shoulders.

Buffalo can run though. At least that's what Dances with Wolves taught me.

I used to back out of it to let people pass until they got more and more rude about cutting me off.

From then on, f'em. If they can't pass me naturally, they can stick there.

If they slipped over to the left to help me merge, that's cool and I'll lift off/take my time getting up to speed.

Traffic flows pretty well through Des Moines where we're allowed in all 3 lanes.
I used to back out of it to let people pass until they got more and more rude about cutting me off.

If they slipped over to the left to help me merge, that's cool and I'll lift off/take my time getting up to speed.
I don't do it as a courtesy for the guy inching past me. I do it as a courtesy to the cars stacked up behind him.

Traffic flows pretty well through Des Moines where we're allowed in all 3 lanes.

I don't do it as a courtesy for the guy inching past me. I do it as a courtesy to the cars stacked up behind him.
I don't do it because I have a stupid onguard that will probably give me a following too close when he gets over, a gap is created, and then those same cars fill that gap. And then I'll get written up by dispatchers who have no idea what the real world is like.

Besides, if you can't pass my 60 mile an hour truck, you shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm with you there EXCEPT when they do it while I'm side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread