Keepin a positive attitude newbie

Kirkafied

40 yrs old and starting a new career. Some exp. driving flatbed in local mine (Kennecott utah copper) no more then about 1000 miles a yr. Finished my first week with Roadmasters. Got my CDL learners permit. Pretty excited about that. I have had several job offers USA trucking, Stevens and Covenant transport not sure whom I will persue. Little freaked out by the nagativity ive read about these companies. Have to admit Im a little suprised at the response I received . I got a DUI in April 2001 that Included Controlled substance (IE Rolling papers) Lawyer was worthless. Is this the Norm with trucking Companies was sort of thinking I was gonna be hard pressed to find one job.

Hats off to you. The positive way towards the life at this age is really appreciable. Only passionate people can do this.

I think you will find it is almost impossible to get a OTR job with any company with your criminal record. They will 'pre-hire' you but once they run your record they won't hire you. a lot to do with insurance and liability. Your best bet is to find a small local company or an o/o that will take you on as a co-driver. being from SLC, there should be plenty of construction companies you can apply to, explain you're situation, maybe hire on as a general laborer, prove yourself and work your way into the foreman's good graces. I am sure you are not a bad guy, but to these big companies, you are nothing but a number

I see what your saying But when I submitted my applications to these companys. I put this info on my Apps I wasnt trying to hide anything they know I had a DUI in 2001 and the Paraphanilia charge.

They call that a 'pre-hire' which basically means you have a current cdl-A and the ability to drive a truck, some might even bring you in for orientation, but once the safety department gets your application and runs your record they might have a problem, I am not saying you can not find a job, the man who taught me how to drive had three dui's(later added two more and can never have a license, even in our right to work state) and he was my aunt's top driver(we only had three trucks) but just starting out and having a record, the companies that will give you a job might not be your top choices, whatever happens keep trying and good luck

Well I hope your wrong Boone Talked to Stevens transport on friday my Orientation is March 7th. The Dui subject came up again with the lady on the phone. She said they could deal with it. If given a chance I will be a good driver. Come from a long line of Highway Men. From my only brother to several uncles. Not to mention I really need to get out of Utah for awhile.

Not to mention I really need to get out of Utah for awhile.

I hear ya...I understand the weed there SUCKS.

HAhahahahahahahahaha.....................just kidding.

Welcome to the forum. Try to get with a smaller company. Maybe a car hauling outfit running into vegas, cali and back to SLC. I have a friend that does repos in Vegas and he's always got guys from SLC loading up at his yard.

Have to admit you guys are scaring the shyt out of me. Last night I layed in bed thinking "God I spent all the money in my savings for driving school" Mainly because of pre hires I figured if I was honest on my Apps about my DUI. Human resourses would see this and proceed accordingly. I could loss it all if Stevens doesnt bring me on.

Well I hope your wrong Boone Talked to Stevens transport on friday my Orientation is March 7th. The Dui subject came up again with the lady on the phone. She said they could deal with it. If given a chance I will be a good driver. Come from a long line of Highway Men. From my only brother to several uncles. Not to mention I really need to get out of Utah for awhile.

I hope I am wrong to, like I said, good luck

sinister and boone are right...personally I consider the companies you mentioned trucking mills i.e.puppy mills....not much diff they take you in collect govt. subsidy to train ya and spit out the door......try for the local job......back in '84 I had to let a driver go because he came up with a dui...my primary liability went through the roof because of his ticket.....

Well, Im off to Clarmont,CA for oreintation with Covenant. On Saturday. Greyhound bound it couldnt be any worse then the first time I ever rode the running dog. Batimore to NYC. I understand working for Covenant is not gonna be easy but when is starting a new carrier. I hoping like hell this doesnt turn into a joy ride to CA. Do you think theyll be a movie on the bus?

Hope your all wrong,i had a dui in 99 and got a pre-hire with crst.I was told to call the recruiter on the 5th and be there for training on the 12th.I hope i dont get there and get sent back home.

I dont think thats too much of a problem because it happened in 99.But why dont u call your recruiter and tell him about your dui just to be on the safe side.
Hope your all wrong,i had a dui in 99 and got a pre-hire with crst.I was told to call the recruiter on the 5th and be there for training on the 12th.I hope i dont get there and get sent back home.
Companies frown on things that r kept from them aND CHANCES R YOU'LL GET SENT HOME IF THAT DUI IS UNACCEPTABLE AND YOULL HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR OWN BUS TICKET.Sorry didnt mean the caps.

I didnt hide the fact that i had a dui in 99.My recruiter knows about it and said it wouldnt be a problem.He SAID i was good to go.So hopefully he wasnt lying to me,i would sure hate to take that 13 hr. bus ride for nothing.

ya that would suck.But I think if he said you're good to go then u r.I mean they turn down lots of drivers for something or another,I would think u would have too_Over 10 yrs ago since your DUI is along time ago.But if you're worried why don't u call the company and tell them,maybe the safety dept.Thirteen hrs is a heck of a long boring ride.You can't get comfortable no matter how hard u try.Where is it u live and where u doing orientation?CRST is a major carrier,could'nt they find any terminals closer to your state?
I didnt hide the fact that i had a dui in 99.My recruiter knows about it and said it wouldnt be a problem.He SAID i was good to go.So hopefully he wasnt lying to me,i would sure hate to take that 13 hr. bus ride for nothing.

Well i live in Louisville Ky,and have to bus it to cedar rapids iowa.I think he already talked to safety and they said ok i guess i just have the jitters.I will call him this week to make sure things are still good to go.

Well that's good.I figured it was good to go.Is this your first company?I can't remember and how well are u with the teaming thing?
Well i live in Louisville Ky,and have to bus it to cedar rapids iowa.I think he already talked to safety and they said ok i guess i just have the jitters.I will call him this week to make sure things are still good to go.

Yes ,this is my first company and i hope im cut out for it.I enjoyed driving at the school but thats not the open road.Im ok with the teaming thing because of the security of having two people but i guess it really depends on wether i get along with the other driver.Personal hygeine is a big thing with me and ive seen some drivers that didnt match that criteria.But i need a JOB so i would team with a pig if i had to.I will try to keep you updated on my progress,and thank you for your input.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread