Just started CDL training

DeanOfMac

Hello,

Dean Of Mac here. Why Dean Of Mac? It was given to me by a waitress at a Tilted Kilt. My name is Dean and I'm from Macomb. Dean of Mac.

Just started an 8-week PTDI certified commercial driver course at John Wood Community College in Quincy, IL. I thought about paid CDL training, but I like the idea of being hired by one of the dozen regional carriers that my school supplies drivers to. I can get tuition reimbursement without a servitude contract and get home weekly.

Hello,

Dean Of Mac here. Why Dean Of Mac? It was given to me by a waitress at a Tilted Kilt. My name is Dean and I'm from Macomb. Dean of Mac.

Just started an 8-week PTDI certified commercial driver course at John Wood Community College in Quincy, IL. I thought about paid CDL training, but I like the idea of being hired by one of the dozen regional carriers that my school supplies drivers to. I can get tuition reimbursement without a servitude contract and get home weekly.
well, if it is this one...

1579117807046.png

does she have a sister..???

Ya must be from Decatur ...Macom County

Good Luck..

Listen Trucking School is gonna teach ya "Barely" enough to pass the Road Test for License

That 1st Job ya get be "Humble" and ABSORB every last thing they show ya

Week #1 in the books. Some of us had our DOT physical and CLP in hand so all we had to do was the urinalysis. The good ole "wiz quiz." Started reading the course book, "Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual" by J.J. Keller. Due to our course being PTDI certified we have to do specific studying on topics such as communication, the Smith System, health, etc. One of the instructors performed a slow but thorough pre-trip inspection of one of the Macks we will be using to test. A Mack Vision with a MP-8 and a 10 speed Eaton-Fuller transmission. We actually have to pass the school's pre-trip and driving test before we go test with the state. The school's pre-trip is more comprehensive than the state test.

No class tomorrow. Off to the driving range Tuesday.

Week #1 in the books. Some of us had our DOT physical and CLP in hand so all we had to do was the urinalysis. The good ole "wiz quiz." Started reading the course book, "Tractor-Trailer Driver Training Manual" by J.J. Keller. Due to our course being PTDI certified we have to do specific studying on topics such as communication, the Smith System, health, etc. One of the instructors performed a slow but thorough pre-trip inspection of one of the Macks we will be using to test. A Mack Vision with a MP-8 and a 10 speed Eaton-Fuller transmission. We actually have to pass the school's pre-trip and driving test before we go test with the state. The school's pre-trip is more comprehensive than the state test.

No class tomorrow. Off to the driving range Tuesday.

It’s good they’re training you in a manual.
I think eventually that will be done away with, and true AUTOS ONLY thing on people’s licenses...and that will be unfortunate.

Week #2 in the books! Lots of driving and learning FMCSA regs this week. We started out with 10 students and now we are at 6. Since Illinois is new to legal weed usage, one student decided to partake in the magical smoke two weeks before class started. Guess who didn't pass the urinalysis?? One never showed up, two disappeared after week one not to be heard from again. We now have four instructors and 6 students. Lots of time behind the wheel the last five weeks. We could get 200 hours behind the wheel.

Recruiters from the regional carriers start coming in next week. The director said there are more positions open than he has students. I'll take those odds. We have Dot Foods Transportation, Sharkey, Gully, Sisbro, Thompson Inc. (flatbed for Knapheide and many others), and a few more. A few select mega carriers will be coming in also (Schneider for sure). I ranked my carrier preference with the director and he agreed with my choices. Unless I really screw-up royally I should get my choice. And no, I won't list them here. They may be watching...

Sharkey has always had really nice trucks.

If you’re colorblind.

Most of those companies I’ve heard of and they’ve all been around forever so any of them are probably pretty solid choices.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread