Introduction/looking for some help

wigs

Hey all, I've been glancing through discussions on Trucker Forum for years now but this is my first post.
I'm 32 from Phenix City, Alabama. I worked in the medical field for years in my 20's wanting to become a physical therapist. I met a girl and we got a place and I settled down. I soon realized that putting in my time as a surgical tech paying my dues and student loans while trying to budget for a home lady her son was an unrealistic goal financially. Decided to get my cdl once I finished all of my campus core classes, which would allow me to save money while on finishing my degree on the road.

I soon stopped the medical thing when I realized how much I loved it. In October of 2012.While at home walking to the mailbox, police pulled up to question me about a tip that they had recieved from my own mother saying that I had been using. I admitted to it thinking that was the smartest thing to do. And showed them pain pills that didn't belong to my prescription. I had started taking them several months prior after my father passed. Ruined my life. They arrested me. Set my bond at a ridicous amount. And set my court date for 18 months later. So I sat and waited for 18 months. Needless to say I lost everything.
When I got out in March of 2014 and tried to start over, I found employment to be impossible. I'm a college graduate, it was a one time mistake. I'm the same as I ever was just not on paper. I have a clean MVR and I have a copy of it. I have kept my cdl, hazmat, and medical card current. Over the next few years I have blown through my hard earned savings trying to keep my dream alive. I have taken a few odd jobs off of craigslist for 28 ft box trucks, and Last week I took a 40 hour refresher course and had my instructors try to get me on at McElroy. They reviewed and finally declined me an hour ago. I want to drive, and one day own my own truck. I used to aspire to haul cars, but now I may just have to wait until I can afford my own truck. Any help at all, any advice, any opportunity keeping in mind that I know the obstacle well and I'm not changing my mind about what I want to do, would be appreciated. You would have a loyal and dedicated driver. Just please don't take advantage of my situation. I know thats a fine line, but believe it or not I'm no different than anyone else.

My situation was handled extremely, and I have suffered a ridiculous setback. I'm not an evil villian, I just don't have a family like most and my escape from reality back then was poorly chosen and publicly addressed.In September my lady passed away after 7 years, congestive heart failure. We excercised every day. But we didn't eat right, so now I am a health nut, and pretty much on my last rope. She used to ride with me. I am very sad. I deserve a better life than this. Help if you can. Thank you very much. I will lighten up as times get better.

Talk to me! Tell me I can make it back otr!

First, simply own it and stop playing the victim card. There are consequences for the actions you took, and you paid the price.

As for driving, all you can do is beat down every door possible and hope somebody hires you. It likely won't be one of the larger carriers, but somebody might give you a chance.

It sounds like the old story of I can't get hired doing anything else so I will just become a truck driver.
I got my cdl back in 2011.. A long time before thiz. And who would choose to be a truck driver as a last resort?

First, simply own it and stop playing the victim card. There are consequences for the actions you took, and you paid the price.

As for driving, all you can do is beat down every door possible and hope somebody hires you. It likely won't be one of the larger carriers, but somebody might give you a chance.
I do own it. Thats what the sentence was for

Look I'm not different from anyone. And I'm not a second rate citizen. I can do ANYTHING I want to do. This is what I want to do. This is a step toward that. No negativity or judgements please.

although i cannot swear to it, once a CDL is issued, i do not believe any state has an expungement.
No. I meant that in the state of Alabama there is no way to remove your criminal history, even after any amount of time.

too many to put a number to.

keep knocking on doors. good luck.
I'm saying I drove a truck before this. Its what I was doing for a living. Not something that I'm looking into now. I drove for Benny Whitehead. American Mobile Petroleum and Coastal Biodiesel.

Cool. Someone helped me. Thanks. Still open to any advice I'm in it for the long run either way. Thanks again to Chinatown

Yea because the smartass poster brings so much relief to the economy.
Chinatown knows all the companies that give criminals a chance, he doesn't report anything that is a danger, in other words, he's a known asshole. i have no respect for him.

what does that say of HIS character..???

Its offensive to refer to me as a criminal. I knew when I posted that I would face many opinions of limited sight. My MVR is clean. Empployment is a key asset in avoiding criminal activity. Later on down the line when I have everything like it should be, I will have people who look at individual cases to thank as opposed to generalizations that prevent any type of positive change in a person's life or society as a whole. I'm also a college graduate but I guess criminal outweighs that on the social scale.

Its offensive to refer to me as a criminal. I knew when I posted that I would face many opinions of limited sight. My MVR is clean. Empployment is a key asset in avoiding criminal activity. Later on down the line when I have everything like it should be, I will have people who look at individual cases to thank as opposed to generalizations that prevent any type of positive change in a person's life or society as a whole. I'm also a college graduate but I guess criminal outweighs that on the social scale.
get off your high horse, i never ONCE referred to you as anything......

When I said he helped me you said helping criminals get a job. . At least I graduated from deadbeat looking for a job to riding a high horse . Haha. Np. Ok. I will. No harm no foul. Thanks

Look I'm not different from anyone. And I'm not a second rate citizen. I can do ANYTHING I want to do. This is what I want to do. This is a step toward that. No negativity or judgements please.

Try the Grain Elevators....one guy had a prior DUI conviction but swears he aint hadda drink in 5 years and another who was locked up for 2 weeks for violating his parole and still worked there when he got out

Wow! I wonder how he found that. He was very very lucky then. I should've posted sooner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread