Introduction from a non-trucker

Hello all-

I'm new to the trucking industry overall. Let me explain...

Many years ago, John and I were big-city street cops- did the academy together and worked the wee hours of the morning sweeping up the troublemakers of Atlanta. After 5 years or so, we got sick of it- I moved to Florida, went to grad school, and became a banker, and John got behind the wheel and went over the road.

Now, twenty-five years later, I'm a retired business guy, and John has been a fleet manager, terminal manager, and general manager and now owns a 30-truck 4PL carrier in Memphis.

Unexpectedly, John landed two direct clients that give him an amount of freight commonly known as a rhymes-with-spitload. He doesn't have the drivers to pull it all, and doesn't have any experience building out a national recruiting program, and I do. So, he hired me, and my job is to learn the industry and get the crew he needs to bring his company up to the next level.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all may give here.

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I can tell you if you are recruiting is do not lie or exaggerate.
You may want to get behind the wheel yourself or ride with another driver to see for yourself what it is like out on the road.

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I can tell you if you are recruiting is do not lie or exaggerate.
You may want to get behind the wheel yourself or ride with another driver to see for yourself what it is like out on the road.

That's important advice. Recruiters lie to bankers too, just about different things.

My goal here is to learn, so I know what's important to the crew I'm building out.

Fair pay and home time.

Decent euipment.

Reasonable benefits package.

No driver-facing in-cab cameras.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread