In need of inverter help

Bthornhill26

When I got the truck it came with a cooper bussman inverter 12-110-1800 true sine wave.
I know nothing about inverters but I was wondering if you can hook a tv and a ps4 to this particular one without messing the tv or ps4 up

I’ve looked everywhere for info or reviews on it I just didn’t want to hook up to it and it mess anything up honestly I paid to much for my electronics but that makes me feel more at ease with using it

I’ve looked everywhere for info or reviews on it I just didn’t want to hook up to it and it mess anything up honestly I paid to much for my electronics but that makes me feel more at ease with using it

I have the same one. ( 1yr 9months)
Run my tv and my laptop , no problems.
I do use a power strip with surge protector just in case of something weird happens.
I've had non true sine inverters that cause me to have to replace my rechargeable toothbrush and replace a laptop battery in about a year.
My current laptop is an Asus 17.3 ROG 751 with a 230w power brick and it's had no issues.

Just to help you out here, the reason you want a true sine wave is because it is “cleaner” in the electronics. Cheap inverters produce a square wave, more expensives produce a modified sine wave and more expensive are True Sine wave inverters.

Imagine a smooth rolling wave on the water, it goes up 3 ft and then back down to level, down 3 ft, back up to level, and so on. That is true sine wave. The 3ft would equal 120volts, the up and down happens 60 times a second.

The square wave is the same, but instead of smooth curves, you get straight lines, so it would go up, over, down, over, up and so on.

A modified square wave is still mostly square, but through some filters, usually capacitors and coils, they round off just the sharp edges of the square wave.

From a distance, far from the beach, they all look about the same, but as you get closer in, you can clearly see the waves shape.

If you were looking at the electrical wave on an oscilloscope, it looks just like that but it’s a green line on a graph instead of water on a beach.

So the more sensitive your electronics are, like computers and such, the more “dirty” inverters wreak havoc.

If you had a modified sine wave inverter for your truck, ok, fine, so buy a small true sine wave inverter that has enough power for your personal electronics.

I am assuming you are a driver, not owner. If I was an owner, I would just buy a good APU with true sine wave.

Just to help you out here, the reason you want a true sine wave is because it is “cleaner” in the electronics. Cheap inverters produce a square wave, more expensives produce a modified sine wave and more expensive are True Sine wave inverters.

Imagine a smooth rolling wave on the water, it goes up 3 ft and then back down to level, down 3 ft, back up to level, and so on. That is true sine wave. The 3ft would equal 120volts, the up and down happens 60 times a second.

The square wave is the same, but instead of smooth curves, you get straight lines, so it would go up, over, down, over, up and so on.

A modified square wave is still mostly square, but through some filters, usually capacitors and coils, they round off just the sharp edges of the square wave.

From a distance, far from the beach, they all look about the same, but as you get closer in, you can clearly see the waves shape.

If you were looking at the electrical wave on an oscilloscope, it looks just like that but it’s a green line on a graph instead of water on a beach.

So the more sensitive your electronics are, like computers and such, the more “dirty” inverters wreak havoc.

If you had a modified sine wave inverter for your truck, ok, fine, so buy a small true sine wave inverter that has enough power for your personal electronics.

I am assuming you are a driver, not owner. If I was an owner, I would just buy a good APU with true sine wave.

Good post.
But Apu's and inverters are two different things.
Apu's are for HVAC and charging your batteries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread