I'm contacting various truck manufacturers to tell them how to build safer vehicles.

Fmvsss already mandate what the requirements are for sleeper doors.

Might help if people actually reviewed them.

As an inexperienced CDL holder, he'd not going to have much choice - you know that.

This I know, but knowing what he wants, he can at least pursue companies that have equipment that matches as closely as possible.

In my day, it was simply the choice of picking the color of the cabover you were going to drive. Plenty companies out there now that spec decent equipment and hire new drivers. Equipment, as a company driver, isn't that important to me. For others, however, that may be a deciding factor.

What is it, I skimmed but didn't see any mention of it.
Most of the stuff for semis is in fmvss 108.

The big reason that Pete and older trucks still HAVE doors installed is because they are separate structure from the cab.

The Volvo's, macks, Freightliner and other unibody designs went this way without doors because there were direct and solid cab/sleeper assemblies as one unit.

The cab would not separate or partially separate from the sleeper obstructing egress.

As separate components, the sleeper must have exits on it other than the direct egress to the drivers compartment.

Most of the stuff for semis is in fmvss 108.

The big reason that Pete and older trucks still HAVE doors installed is because they are separate structure from the cab.

The Volvo's, macks, Freightliner and other unibody designs went this way without doors because there were direct and solid cab/sleeper assemblies as one unit.

The cab would not separate or partially separate from the sleeper obstructing egress.

As separate components, the sleeper must have exits on it other than the direct egress to the drivers compartment.

Ok,

but with all that said, I still think side doors should be mandatory, LOL. I couldn't imagine another truck without one.

I can see one door being advisable.

But this kid is bucking a system and spouting off to an industry that set standards over this 60 years ago.

Reviewed on a regular basis and updated regularly.

Suddenly we got an e4 mafia telling everyone they are a sbithead and completely unable to do things in an industry 100 years old.

I can see one door being advisable.

Required, not advised, LOL.

Carbon Monoxide detector I can see being required as well, seeing as we have to sleep in these trucks.

Something that withstands accidents better as well. These trucks are simply not built with safety in mind.

And when we here this story at the truck stop counter, I called the U.S. marshals on KW and Peterbilt annd thas why they all have bunk doors on their trucks now. :D

Carbon Monoxide detector I can see being required as well, seeing as we have to sleep in these trucks.

Something that withstands accidents better as well. These trucks are simply not built with safety in mind.
Diesel engines generate very little CO. If you're worried about it, mount one in the sleeper at head-height when you're lying down in the bunk.

Diesel engines generate very little CO. If you're worried about it, mount one in the sleeper at head-height when you're lying down in the bunk.

Thanks for that bit of advice ;)

Thinking more about company drivers, especially knowing how cheesy come companies can be about fixing things like exhaust leaks.

It's $8 to install a smoke detector.

Got a complete co and smoke combo for $20.

Took longer to cut them out of the package than it did mounting them.

Thanks for that bit of advice ;)

Thinking more about company drivers, especially knowing how cheesy come companies can be about fixing things like exhaust leaks.
Exhaust is something definitely looked at in an annual.

The guy with a gasser for an APU is the one that should worry about it.

It's $8 to install a smoke detector.

Got a complete co and smoke combo for $20.

Took longer to cut them out of the package than it did mounting them.
Smoke detectors should be mounted on the ceiling of the sleeper. Smoke rises - CO is about the same molecular weight as nitrogen and oxygen, so without something to mix the CO (a fan) it tends to stay near where it is emitted. You want the detector near to where your head will be.

Last edited:
Exhaust is something definitely looked at in an annual.

The guy with a gasser for an APU is the one that should worry about it.

Yes, but it breaks in between the annuals. Talk to some drivers as to how hard it is to get these things fixed sometimes. With a required monitor, there is proof and then a requirement to fix the vehicle.

That’s because the driver is supposed to be trained with saftey in mind.

That’s because the driver is supposed to be trained with saftey in mind.

Supposed to be, but.....

When you tell the shop there is an exhaust leak, they tell you nothing is wrong, you are put in a position to refuse to drive and possibly lose your job. A CO monitor should't be the responsibility of a company driver to purchase. I get that it is cheap, but so is every other nickel and dime item that company drives used to claim as a tax deduction.

these big trucks look tough, but in an accident, they are a death trap. (especially if you don't have an escape door, LOL). Seriously, I have a far better chance of surviving a big accident in our Prius than in my truck. Built to save weight, not lives.

I don’t understand, diesels put off much less carbon monoxide than a gas mill.

I’ve slept in my truck a couple nights with it broken at the y collector. It was booked in the week after for exhaust it just had to get me home from Minnesota. :dunno:

When you tell the shop there is an exhaust leak, they tell you nothing is wrong, you are put in a position to refuse to drive and possibly lose your job.

I don’t have an issue with shop guys not believeing me as I build a rapport with the guys in the shop and most of them know I’m not bullshitting why I say I can take this entire truck apart and put it back together.

I will stand on my argument that as a driver you need to have the intestinal fortitude to stand your ground. I have no problem losing anything for standing for what I believe to be true. If I don’t feel it’s safe to drive I won’t ****ing drive it.

Built to save weight, not lives.

Not true. Crumple zones are built into trucks same as cars these days. Wearing a saftey belt and properly securing a load is what will save your ass. Sometimes there’s just nothing you can do like getting hit by a train. Or getting hit sitting at a dead stop by another 80k middle doing 70. These are catastrophic things but your typical accident or roll over you will walk away from.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread