I seem to have misplaced my job..........

puppyeyes

Okay, so here's the thing. I got my CDL almost 2yrs ago and drove for a particularly mediocre company for just under 6mos. Unfortunately the reason I (very foolishly) quit my job is because I ran into a pickup that "didn't see" me until his pickup was damn near under my tandems. It was a broadside that would not have happened if he hadn't pulled out into me. Luckily I was trying to be safe and do the speed limit on that off-ramp or I might've squished him. I got a careless op ticket that I couldn't beat for my trouble.

Regardless - I've been terrified of driving ever since, but this isn't something my ornery side will let me get away with. I'd very much like to drive again; we're even considering leasing our own truck (again)..

This weekend celebrates an ancient Celtic festival of recovery and renewal; wouldn't it be nice if somewhere out there under this cold winter sky somebody came back with a "I know a company that might give you a shot"...........

Thanks, ya'll, in advance. View attachment 9308
View attachment 9308

One preventable accident in two years. It isn't the end of the world, but it could cause you a little grief. Any application is going to have to be approved by the safety department, so the best thing you can do is write a letter explaining what happened to go along with the application.

I agree with Bullwinkle...write an explanation 1st so that when you apply, it doesn't look like you are trying to hide anything, but well aware of the situation and want to let the prospective company know that you are responsible.

Okay, so here's the thing. I got my CDL almost 2yrs ago and drove for a particularly mediocre company for just under 6mos. Unfortunately the reason I (very foolishly) quit my job is because I ran into a pickup that "didn't see" me until his pickup was damn near under my tandems. It was a broadside that would not have happened if he hadn't pulled out into me. Luckily I was trying to be safe and do the speed limit on that off-ramp or I might've squished him. I got a careless op ticket that I couldn't beat for my trouble.

Regardless - I've been terrified of driving ever since, but this isn't something my ornery side will let me get away with. I'd very much like to drive again; we're even considering leasing our own truck (again)..

This weekend celebrates an ancient Celtic festival of recovery and renewal; wouldn't it be nice if somewhere out there under this cold winter sky somebody came back with a "I know a company that might give you a shot"...........

Thanks, ya'll, in advance. View attachment 9309

well first you claim that you got your license (check what i bolded for you), then you say that you drove for a company for 6 months, (check bolded again). so now you see, i need to know, after you first got your license, then 6 months into your career, you had this accident...?? is this how it happened..??

if so, statistically, newbies/rookies are prone to accidents before the first year of experience. now, i'm not saying a well seasoned driver NEVER gets into an accident, it does happen.

so, here you are, not driving for a period of time now.....this isn't good....

you may be required to go for refresher training, at your expense.

i would also try and see if you can get a copy of the police report, not just the accident report mind you, the POLICE report. then make copies.

write up a well thought out letter, preferably one page.

make note you recieved a ticket, make note you paid the ticket, or appeared in court, or whatever.

in your letter, state that you can "provide" the accident report, the police report, and any other information required. in other words, "have all your ducks in a row, first".....

apply for jobs, but stay away from owning or leasing for a while. you need to "get back in the saddle" right now. the longer you wait, the more refresher training you might have to pay for.

more importantly, mediocre company or not, stick with it. you are now more aware of your job responsibilities then ever before.
View attachment 9309

I do appreciate the advice thusfar; thank you. ^.^

Yes, pro, the accident happened at the end of my five months. Several people away from here have given me the same advice in writing up a letter of explanation (which I'm working on) and I'll look into getting those reports, but I do have one more question.

Does anyone know of any self-insured companies that I might have any kind of shot at?

I do appreciate the advice thusfar; thank you. ^.^

Yes, pro, the accident happened at the end of my five months. Several people away from here have given me the same advice in writing up a letter of explanation (which I'm working on) and I'll look into getting those reports, but I do have one more question.

Does anyone know of any self-insured companies that I might have any kind of shot at?

YES

you do have a "shot" at ANY trucking company, not just the self insured ones.

don't forget, you said you quit, you didn't get fired for this. so, at that point, you were your own worse enemy, not the trucking comapnies.

just "do up" the letter thing, get the accident report AND the police report, make copies, and go..........................

just expect to be told you might have to attend re-fresher courses.

as long as you're a driver, the possibilties will always exist that you will be in a traffic accident of some sort.

minor fender benders........are nothing to sneeze at, as they go on your driving record, but so what, even with a ticket, go with the flow.

HOWEVER, if God forbid you (or anyone else) should ever have a fatal accident, and don't feel terrible about that, then you are not normal, and DON'T belong on the road. some drivers that have had fatal wrecks quit the job because of guilt feelings and such. that is a normal reaction. other drivers that have had a fatal wreck, seem to shrug thier shoulders and stay with driving. EVEN IF, the other vehicle driver was at fault, having a fatal wreck will forever make you question yourself as to what you could have done differently that day. you'll never shake off that question, if you're normal.

so again, get back on the road, ASAP, and don't quit because of unimportant reasons.

well with my first trainer i was hit from the side by a mexican pulling a car with a rope.he went to look at the car vering left and accidently turned his wheel to the right and hit my dot bummper (bent it up good) then went blasting back into his other car wreaked them both. looking into my mirror not realizing that i had been hit i kept driving, it felt like i hit a speed bump or something.pulled into the weight station thinking that im in big trouble for leaving the scene only to find out the that the officer didnt put me on the report b/c the guy was illegal but i still had to go thru a saftey meeting since my trainer called it into the company.i wanted to stop driving when i got hit thinking about how easily i could kill someone if i would make a wrong move but a friend told me that it was not the end of the world and that it will probably happen again but that as long as i am driving the truck i can control my actions. i hope to make it 1 million safe miles one day. right now i stand at 20,000 miles.
nothing should stop you from driving again if its something you really want to do.there will always be a way unless your a felon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread