Trucking News: How does the gig economy hurt truckers?

Mike

Most gig economy brands operate through app-based platforms. People who want to participate in it – as either truckers or individuals who need the services of truck drivers – use apps to specify their capabilities or requirements and connect with customers. That arrangement likely gives those customers more access than they had before.

However, it also makes it harder for independent truckers to stand out from the competition. Customers who use gig economy apps for trucking services may only look at a couple of factors about a particular driver, such as rates and star rating. Thus, if a person has years of experience in the trucking sector but only started using these apps a couple of months ago, it may take months or years to build a respectable star rating.

The traditional ways of getting work in the trucking industry allow customers to weigh numerous factors when determining whether to keep working with a trucking professional. However, throughout the gig economy as a whole, people are far too often reduced to being names on a screen, accompanied by statistics such as their quality ratings and how long they’ve used the platform.

Some of the information shown to those who use gig-based apps may match a person’s experience. But it’s also possible that someone who only started in the trucking industry could beat an individual with decades of expertise based on the limited information an app typically shows. This reality means truckers may have to go above and beyond to establish relationships with new customers and prove there’s more to what they offer than a star rating.

Read the entire article, because this is the future. If you are in a niche part of the industry, it may be a while before this impacts your business, but make no mistake, it will impact it.

What you read in this article is why I have jumped in early into technology within this industry.

I don't know how many carriers got this specific honor (I use the word "honor" loosely), but I came out of 2019 as a Convoy carrier of the year. This was based on a specific number of loads hauled, fall offs, and on time delivery.

More and more of freight will be moved via apps / technology. When you see it creeping into your niche, don't resist it if you want to be successful.

there will be bumps in the road, but in the end, this industry is changing.

Been trying to use some of those apps, but they just don't cross over into open deck

Been trying to use some of those apps, but they just don't cross over into open deck

I suppose it won’t take much to add the extras in such as “8 foot tarps”. Or “cheap ass lumber”.

In several ways it’s not much different from checking a few boxes on a van load. “Driver assist unload.” “E tracks with straps”...that sort of thing.

Most gig economy brands operate through app-based platforms. People who want to participate in it – as either truckers or individuals who need the services of truck drivers – use apps to specify their capabilities or requirements and connect with customers. That arrangement likely gives those customers more access than they had before.

However, it also makes it harder for independent truckers to stand out from the competition. Customers who use gig economy apps for trucking services may only look at a couple of factors about a particular driver, such as rates and star rating. Thus, if a person has years of experience in the trucking sector but only started using these apps a couple of months ago, it may take months or years to build a respectable star rating.

The traditional ways of getting work in the trucking industry allow customers to weigh numerous factors when determining whether to keep working with a trucking professional. However, throughout the gig economy as a whole, people are far too often reduced to being names on a screen, accompanied by statistics such as their quality ratings and how long they’ve used the platform.

Some of the information shown to those who use gig-based apps may match a person’s experience. But it’s also possible that someone who only started in the trucking industry could beat an individual with decades of expertise based on the limited information an app typically shows. This reality means truckers may have to go above and beyond to establish relationships with new customers and prove there’s more to what they offer than a star rating.

The Gig Economy is about Sillycon Valley greed whose profits "fund" the Elitists heckbent on destruction of American sovereignty..

They seek to "enslave" humankind through the New World Order and should be classified as "Terrorist" entities..

Problem is most people are too dumb to realize it ...infact they can't wait to download the next app, share all personal info, and flock head over heels for the latest newest gadget further enriching and expanding they're power over us..

I'm afraid it'll be too late before we figure this out and we shall be the equivalent of the "BORG" on Star Trek in our little cubes Sub Serviant to our Sillycon Valley "MASTERS"....

Worse the Elitists decide they don't need us anymore and use viruses unleashed across the globe to Kill rest of us off while they hide in their luxury survival retreats

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it won’t take much to add the extras in such as “8 foot tarps”. Or “cheap ass lumber”.

In several ways it’s not much different from checking a few boxes on a van load. “Driver assist unload.” “E tracks with straps”...that sort of thing.

This is what I'm talking about the blind willingness to accept and adapt...

The "here" mentality has reached EPEDEMIC porpoortions

If there was Mass "resistance" we wouldn't be in this mess..

What was wrong with a clipboard and a pen "simple"...

Computers and apps have software failures..

Even job applications used to take oh 10/15 minutes to fill out pen n paper...

Nowadays ya can spend better part of an hour on a website to fill out same job application..

Eh thought Technology was supposed to make it simpler and easier not the reverse

I signed up for convoy after talking to @Mike about it.

I now get regular emails saying " check out these available loads"....

And nothing is there

TQL asked me to install their tracking software for a load. Next thing I know, I'm getting load offers based on where I'm located and my final destination from them.

It's creepy enough I have given my dad a link to Google maps to follow me.

To me it's stalking

Trucking has always been an ever changing industry and now it is changing faster than ever.
Trucking has always been an adapt or **** off industry.

The Gig aspect of it will sort itself out. Beit a You get what you pay for type of service or the race to the bottom of hauling cheap freight.

Either way, the Gig-economy is not going away.

The Gig Economy is about Sillycon Valley greed whose profits "fund" the Elitists heckbent on destruction of American sovereignty..

They seek to "enslave" humankind through the New World Order and should be classified as "Terrorist" entities..

Problem is most people are too dumb to realize it ...infact they can't wait to download the next app, share all personal info, and flock head over heels for the latest newest gadget further enriching and expanding they're power over us..

I'm afraid it'll be too late before we figure this out and we shall be the equivalent of the "BORG" on Star Trek in our little cubes Sub Serviant to our Sillycon Valley "MASTERS"....

Worse the Elitists decide they don't need us anymore and use viruses unleashed across the globe to Kill rest of us off while they hide in their luxury survival retreats

Who takes out the trash, delivers their stuff, teaches their kids, or cleans the toilets if they kill all us poor people?

Who takes out the trash, delivers their stuff, teaches their kids, or cleans the toilets if they kill all us poor people?

"Corona" virus ...they will be in they're bunkers and hidey-holes as the PANDEMIC takes thy Rest Of "US" out..

The Government and Media will tell us "No Worries"

Well then THANK GOODNESS the entire pandemic was just a leftist plot to make Trump look bad. /s

But seriously, unless its a religious doomsday "bring on the apocalypse & welcome Jesus back home" cult - OR - a "Human's are a cancer on the earth & must be removed" cult, there can be no "rich illuminati/deepstate plot to kill us all" .
They will need servants & slaves.
They are accustomed to having all the finer things in life that need to be manufactured.
I'm not sure AI/Robotics are at the point where human labor can be replaced yet. And even then, who is going to build, ship, program, deliver, maintain & repair the robots? Or the food supply? Or again, clean the toilets & take out the trash.

Until we are living in the Jetsons, I think we are pretty safe from extermination. Anyone stating otherwise is a fear-monger with an angle.

**To be safe though... because that day may come, if not in our lifetimes, definitely our grandkid's... maybe we should push for leaders who don't seem... capable of being greedy, murderous dictators? Ones that don't spout violent rhetoric? Ones that wouldn't be callus enough to even CHECK to see if they would personally benefit from killing off most of citizens?

Just an idea...

**To be safe though... because that day may come, if not in our lifetimes, definitely our grandkid's... maybe we should push for leaders who don't seem... capable of being greedy, murderous dictators? Ones that don't spout violent rhetoric? Ones that wouldn't be callus enough to even CHECK to see if they would personally benefit from killing off most of citizens?

Just an idea...
Then scratch the Messiah off of that list. He does and wants all of the above.

I know.

**sigh**

Maybe I'll just go & pretend to be a "totally normal" American again.

You know, the kind of sane, logical human that pretends to eat the transmogrified flesh of the J-man & wash it down with a shot of his blood?
The kind of Regular-John-Q-Public that turns off their critical thinking in order to take part in weekly ritualized cannibalism?

Of course, I'd like to do it on a specific day of the week, based on a calendar that didn't exist when my holy texts were written.
And I'd like to do it with a bunch of other adults who are also playing pretend.

I just want to go back to being the type of compliant & obedient group member who pretends not to notice all the little changes in the literal word-of-god-holy-texts that coincidently line up with a political agenda of whomever has the most power & influence.
I think with a little practice, I too, can re-learn how to seamlessly insert said holy text changes into my "most sacred" beliefs & use them to oppress people who are different than me.*

I want to be the kind of American who can look around and find representation of their culture & beliefs every where they look, from architecture to holidays to the most powerful leaders in the nation... and still be gullible enough to believe a millionaire charlatan who tells me that I am being oppressed. (and that if I give him 10% of my income, and he if enough people around me do the same, they can buy & mansion & a private jet, for our most loving god will reduce pain & suffering!
(but not from the cancer babies! Be Real. We know our all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving lord still HATES children! I think the clear, repetitive sign to us that "God hates babies" is when he gives thousands of innocent children a slow, painful death each year...)

*there have been over 30,000 changes to the Holy Bible between the oldest complete version & today. THIRTY THOUSAND CHANGES!
, Over 30K changes...made by man, to the "literal word of god". Yet somehow, the self-proclaimed "most oppressed people in America" insist that everyone else MUST play pretend with them... or be shunned & shamed!! You know, sorta like they do in a cult? IDK how they can wield so much power, make up 75%+ of the government, law enforcement & the military, and yet still be so oppressed by every single minority group, even though those minority groups wield NONE of those advantages... But you know what they say: Grifters & conartists, err, I meanThe Lord moves in mysterious ways! :rolleyes:

My older sister is a Bible thumper. Always spouting scripture and still waiting for her loving god to take care of her. One day she was ragging on my mother about something and my mom told her, 'Your god is one sadistic being. Wars, cancers, abortions, murders. No real god would do that to his people.' The shit hit the fan that day. I ran out, I wasn't getting involved in that blood bath.

To this day, she's broke, lonely, almost crippled and lives off the state of Tennessee like a Liberal. I always told her to quit being a goodie-goodie, lie on the job application like everyone else and get a good job and put some coin in your pocket. Yet she professes undying love for the Trumpmeister. Again, I told her to quit acting like a Lib, waiting around for your god to take of you. God helps those that help themselves. Why do you think these politicians are so damned rich? They help themselves to your money anytime they need some for a new mansion, a new Jag or Rolls and (gasp) even a Tesla and private jet.

once AI goes full throttle there will be self driving trucks. the megas are lobbying for em. i think they will start off as a pilot program having someone in the truck watching the dash and software and to take over if needed until the software is fully developed.. i think that shippers and receivers will enter a code in the trailer door and that will send the info to the trucks computer. the trucks will be able to run 24-7 and not complain and ask for pay raises. though i would love to see how in the hell this is gonna work in blizzard conditions like on i-80 :confused-96: :biglaugh: :rolleyes:. can't wait to see all of the lawsuits if something happens just a bad idea!!! the ambulance chasers will have a field day with this :rolleyes:

Last edited:
though i would love to see how in the hell this is gonna work in blizzard conditions like on i-80 :confused-96: :biglaugh: :rolleyes:. can't wait to see all of the lawsuits if something happens just a bad idea!!! the ambulance chasers will have a field day with this
The government investigators make sure to blame a human in such an event.

It's going to be real interesting.

There are still optimists out there, but I think the pessimists far outweigh them. It's either everything is autonomous, or nothing is. The side of error is too great on either side. I doubt it will happen for at least 10+ years. The elitists still haven't equalized everyone's income. There are too many subjects that can't buy anything modern and they aren't productive enough to give them anything, so they need to eliminate them somehow. Vaccinations, maybe? :stirpot2:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread