How a well driller made me yell at Safelite

Tazz

Infidel
It all started with Stanley Tools. No I did not throw a hammer through my windshield.

See our main shop and Terminal is the old Stanley plant, and while they were operating like most companies in the old days oil from machining was leaked regularly into the ground and ground water. They also had some severe gasoline runoff from their fueling area. Well they are required to have monitoring wells on this property for the next hundred years or so. If any ground water contamination happens they will be fined again.

Enter Titan Transfer. We buy the factory and pave over one of the test wells(this happened 8 years ago) to make our driver parking area. Well Phillip got an email notifying Titan that Stanley, their environmental company, and the EPA are gonna be out to check those wells. The EPA shows up once a decade to confirm the quarterly tests( that is 4 times a year for our northern readers) are being conducted properly. Did I mention we paved over a well 8 years ago?

Anyways as they go around they soon realize they are a couple short. Get out the old maps and start looking around and are stymied trying to locate the now subterranean test caps. Well you can imagine how impressed the EPA was reading reports from the last decade on a well that had been paved over for 8+/- years.

Enter the well driller. They decided to sink two new test wells on the grass border of our parking area. You know right next to where drivers vehicles are parked? Say maybe 8 feet in front of my truck. Not my company truck mind you. You would think they would have walked into the office and asked "Hey can you get these vehicles moved" or at a minimum "We are going to be drilling on your property". Nope nothing.

In exchange for the crap sprayed all over my truck I was offered a "certificate" to get my truck washed. I told the yack off to get in his car and drive away. It was the closest I have come to going to prison in a number of years. I actually started to reach for my knife considering shaving his head for him as an abject lesson in why you do not treat others property that way.

I went and washed my truck on my dime. Headed into Phillips office still seeing red. After Phillip showed me the email about them checking wells, and telling me they had no knowledge of any drilling until they were pulling out I apologized for my attitude when I came in. We BS'd about my leaving and parted friendly. As I walked to my truck I notice two pretty big chips in my windshield that had not existed before. I must have missed them before. Turn around and tell Phillip about them. He3 gets me our contact on this fiascoes numbers and email and calls him as well to notify him they have damaged his employees personal property, and that I would be calling him to cover the bill for repairs. Now in fairness the gentleman apologized, and immediately cut me a check for the estimate from safe lite.

I figured I would use them because they regularly advertise just make the call and we come to you, no hassle, warranty, blah blah blah.

Set up the appointment on line, tell them where vehicle will be, give phone numbers, talk to my shop in case the guy needs anything or it is going to rain etc.......

Day of the first appointment comes around and my wife gets a call at 7:30 "Hello this is ***** from safe lite calling to confirm I will be out to replace the windshield on your 98 Chevy first thing this morning, and will call if any difficulty arises"

All good right? No phone calls. Shop says nobody bothered them. Cool everything is smooth. Except when my wife swings by the shop my windshield is broken. In fact it is disturbingly looking exactly like the old windshield.

Call safe lite up and get told "Well when the technician arrived no one was around."

I'll pause now as you consider that sentence.

My wife being the kind hearted soul she is accepts the dispatchers deepest apologies, and agrees to let them have another chance two days later.

Now we are in that morning. Another man calls both my wife and myself again apologizing for the delay, and confirms vehicle location, appointment time .........

So at 10:30 he calls "Hey what does your vehicle look like?"
I tell him, and tell him for the second time I have placed a Gadsden Flag on the antenna so he should have no problem spotting it. Again for our northern readers that would be a bright yellow field with a striking Rattlesnake, highly visible.
"Ok cool got it"

Two hours later............

"Hey this is ***** what color was your truck?"

"I do applaud safelite for employing the mentally challenged but can they keep them where I do not have to interact with them?"

"Uh what?"

"Never mind. Blue Chevy, bright yellow flag on antenna, outside row as soon as you turn in"

"Oh yeah I see it. OK gonna replace that windshield for you now Mr. Patton."

"Good call if you have problems."

Oh you know it was not over then don't you?

"What now?"

"Mr. Patton your screws have rust in them."

:confused2:

"What?"

"Well the screws holding the cowl in"

"Yeah"

"Well see they are rusty."

:paddle:

"So they rounded off or something?" "I can have one of my guys come over and take them out for you."

"Well no I can not replace the windshield if they are rusty. And safe lite says I have to take the cowl off to replace the windshield."

"I'll call a windshield replacement company to do the work sorry for your trip."

"OK Thank You"

My wife called Jack Morris auto glass set up an appointment which got boondoggled by me the first day but Friday I told them we will be out of town if I leave it in my driveway and a check in the console can you do it then. I have to leave Saturday so it will be back at the shop Monday if you would like to do it then instead.

"Nope Mr. Patton thats fine"

And low and behold as I pulled into my driveway yesterday there was a new friggin windshield :yippee-1:

Safe lite can fall off the face of the earth.

Somebody please bump this thread so I can read it when I have more time.

I've heard a similar story... except, the old windshield was removed, rust was found on the opening, and, work stopped. Nope, can't install a new windshield if rust is present.

Some peeps got no concept of what the sealer is for.

I've heard a similar story... except, the old windshield was removed, rust was found on the opening, and, work stopped. Nope, can't install a new windshield if rust is present.

Some peeps got no concept of what the sealer is for.

I could understand rust in the seal track, on the A post, concealed under the cowl, body parts or the like. These were 4 count them 4 screws holding on a plastic cover that.by there design sit in a puddle of water every time the truck gets wet until it evaporates or is blown out from movement. My wife took all four out that afternoon with a 1" screwdriver from her emergency kit. Yeah the tops were rust colored on top. But that was just surface coloring.

When she talked with the company that did the job the lady.there said.she was making that up. No-one is that sorry.......Apparently the glass guys around here know each other and the guy told them he did not check because it is Safe kites policy if any rust is seen anywhere on the vehicle. They.better never look under a car or they will go out of business.

Blood I think he was telling me I went a long way around to get to my story. By the way I am staying but I'll save that for another thread.

Blood I think he was telling me I went a long way around to get to my story. By the way I am staying but I'll save that for another thread.
No. I didn't read it at all. I didn't have time, I dont' even know why I even clicked the thread. But it seemed interesting.

Blood. Thanks for the link. I'll look into it. :thumbsup:

Back in the day.. during the butyl/urethane transission.. GM cars were notorious for rusting at the base of the windshields.

Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am.. Cutlass/Monte Carlo/LeSabre.... you name it...

Couple rolls of duck tape after a pint of 3M primer, 3/8" butyl backed up with a tube of urethane per corner usually stopped the water from pouring in when it rained/snowed/drizzled.

What I liked to hear was... "My windshield NEVER leaked before!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread