Hooking a trailer up to a tractor or dropping it: many steps and complex according to my CDL study materials.

Sam McCloud

Has anybody here ever driven a 5-ton tractor-trailer in the military with a day cab? I have in the army. I can tell you the army's method of coupling/uncoupling a tractor-trailer has many fewer steps than does civilian Class-8 tractor-trailers.

In the army, my 5-ton tractor would have a rear cab window through which the vehicle operator could observe when backing toward the kingpin of a parked trailer.

So to hook up, the tractor would be slowly backed toward the kingpin so the 5th wheel plate slides under the nose. Sometimes it's necessary to adjust the landing gear height if the trailer is too low or high. The V notch in the plate would be lined up with the king pin and we'd slowly back up until the kingpin was all the way home. CLICK! You'd hear it lock in place. That's how we knew it was secure. Then we'd check the release lever of the coupler to make sure it was secure. With the trailer-tractor fully coupled, we then would raise the landing leg to the up position, remove any wheel chocks from the trailer and secure them, close any air-drain valves on the trailer tanks then connect both air lines and the cable for the trailer lights. The tractor had one or two airbrake control knobs on the dash and it's been so long I can't remember what the procedure was for operating any of these knobs during trailer coupling/uncoupling but the necessary steps regarding these knobs were taken. Lastly, we would check the running lights operation of the trailer and ensure the airbrake system was charged up, the low-pressure warning buzzer was off before heading out.

Parking/dropping the trailer was basically everything above in reverse.

The CDL preschool study materials I'm reading (High Road Training Program at the TruckerTruth.com website) has all these extra steps as backing up to the trailer, actually hooking air lines and light cable up before coupling to the 5-th wheel, inspecting for any gaps between tractor and trailer 5-th wheels with a flashlight, crawling underneath the vehicle to see if the 5-th wheel locking jaws are secure around the kingpin and several other steps that weren't customarily performed in any military unit I was in.

Hooking a trailer up to an army truck was much simpler and hurry-up-and-go in nature.

Sometimes the tractor would be backed to the army semi trailer and the 5-th wheel was engaged at a slight angle and so the trailer nose slid sideways somewhat as the notch in the plate was guiding the kingpin home. This never damaged the landing legs as High Road Training suggests. Army landing legs generally have those flat feet at the bottoms and not landing gear rollers so they can slide sideways easily a few inches.

Just about every army tractor has a day cab and I can't ever recall seeing a sleeper berth on any military vehicle. When soldiers bivouac (camp in the field) they sleep in tents, sometimes in the back of a truck with enclosed cargo area as a tool van, on a truck tailgate, sometimes in a closed trailer, on a cot in the open or on the ground and usually not in any special vehicle sleeping enclosure unless you are an officer with a vehicular command post or sorts. Tankers often sleep inside their track vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the pin, tug test, flashlight on the jaws and look at the handle for the 5th wheel, crank dollys, air lines and light cord. Less than a minute to hook n book

Wanna be a super trucker slide under the trailer but don’t hit the pin, hop out and check the gap between the 5th and the trailer

Don’t overthink things, this is trucking

Hit the pin, tug test, flashlight on the jaws and look at the handle for the 5th wheel, crank dollys, air lines and light cord. Less than a minute to hook n book

Wanna be a super trucker slide under the trailer but don’t hit the pin, hop out and check the gap between the 5th and the trailer

Don’t overthink things, this is trucking

Does being a truck driver ever require work gloves, work boots, coveralls or even a mechanic's creeper? What's this getting down on your hands and knees crap? I had to crawl under vehicles plenty of times as an army mechanic and yes we always had a flashlight in our tool boxes. I'd hate to soil my clothes in mud or wet weather.

Does being a truck driver ever require work gloves, work boots, coveralls or even a mechanic's creeper? What's this getting down on your hands and knees crap? I had to crawl under vehicles plenty of times as an army mechanic and yes we always had a flashlight in our tool boxes. I'd hate to soil my clothes in mud or wet weather.
You don’t need to roll around under the truck, pull forward and jack the wagon, let’s you look at the jaws and 5th handle

Depends on what segment of trucking you get into. A safety vest is pretty common for any trucker, but yes I wear work boots all the time, as well as gloves, hard hat, coveralls, Carharts and rain gear. Job site rules and the weather dictate what I’m wearing

Sounds like you’re more suited for dry van or reefer if you don’t want to work much (mods that’s not a cheap jab, it’s pretty hard to work on jobsites and stay spotless, tankers and bullracks won’t be any cleaner)

You don’t need to roll around under the truck, pull forward and jack the wagon, let’s you look at the jaws and 5th handle

Depends on what segment of trucking you get into. A safety vest is pretty common for any trucker, but yes I wear work boots all the time, as well as gloves, hard hat, coveralls, Carharts and rain gear. Job site rules and the weather dictate what I’m wearing

Sounds like you’re more suited for dry van or reefer if you don’t want to work much (mods that’s not a cheap jab, it’s pretty hard to work on jobsites and stay spotless, tankers and bullracks won’t be any cleaner)
I'd say avoid local too. Constant drop & hook. Always in an out of unpaved parking areas.

OTR dry or refer with nothing but lives would be for Thomas.

Coupling/Uncoupling is as simple or as difficult as the company you work for requires.

Schneider has a full page of instructions for this procedure, and they test you on it every year. It’s all pretty common sense stuff, but they have it set up step by step and expect you to follow it. Especially if you are being evaluated by one of the company commandos in Charlotte.

Has anybody here ever driven a 5-ton tractor-trailer in the military with a day cab? I have in the army. I can tell you the army's method of coupling/uncoupling a tractor-trailer has many fewer steps than does civilian Class-8 tractor-trailers.

In the army, my 5-ton tractor would have a rear cab window through which the vehicle operator could observe when backing toward the kingpin of a parked trailer.

So to hook up, the tractor would be slowly backed toward the kingpin so the 5th wheel plate slides under the nose. Sometimes it's necessary to adjust the landing gear height if the trailer is too low or high. The V notch in the plate would be lined up with the king pin and we'd slowly back up until the kingpin was all the way home. CLICK! You'd hear it lock in place. That's how we knew it was secure. Then we'd check the release lever of the coupler to make sure it was secure. With the trailer-tractor fully coupled, we then would raise the landing leg to the up position, remove any wheel chocks from the trailer and secure them, close any air-drain valves on the trailer tanks then connect both air lines and the cable for the trailer lights. The tractor had one or two airbrake control knobs on the dash and it's been so long I can't remember what the procedure was for operating any of these knobs during trailer coupling/uncoupling but the necessary steps regarding these knobs were taken. Lastly, we would check the running lights operation of the trailer and ensure the airbrake system was charged up, the low-pressure warning buzzer was off before heading out.

Parking/dropping the trailer was basically everything above in reverse.

The CDL preschool study materials I'm reading (High Road Training Program at the TruckerTruth.com website) has all these extra steps as backing up to the trailer, actually hooking air lines and light cable up before coupling to the 5-th wheel, inspecting for any gaps between tractor and trailer 5-th wheels with a flashlight, crawling underneath the vehicle to see if the 5-th wheel locking jaws are secure around the kingpin and several other steps that weren't customarily performed in any military unit I was in.

Hooking a trailer up to an army truck was much simpler and hurry-up-and-go in nature.

Sometimes the tractor would be backed to the army semi trailer and the 5-th wheel was engaged at a slight angle and so the trailer nose slid sideways somewhat as the notch in the plate was guiding the kingpin home. This never damaged the landing legs as High Road Training suggests. Army landing legs generally have those flat feet at the bottoms and not landing gear rollers so they can slide sideways easily a few inches.

Just about every army tractor has a day cab and I can't ever recall seeing a sleeper berth on any military vehicle. When soldiers bivouac (camp in the field) they sleep in tents, sometimes in the back of a truck with enclosed cargo area as a tool van, on a truck tailgate, sometimes in a closed trailer, on a cot in the open or on the ground and usually not in any special vehicle sleeping enclosure unless you are an officer with a vehicular command post or sorts. Tankers often sleep inside their track vehicles.
I don't know, some times I hook and drop 30 times in a 9 hour shift. This is not hard stuff. Put your drive tires about an inch off each side of the trailer, listen for the click, Hook airlines and crank the dollies 👍

Is your malfunction that you do not have a superior officer telling you what to do each step of the way?

The megas break it down into a gazillion little steps so their lawyers can pin it on you when you drop your trailer going down the highway and the company walks with less blame for the ambulance chasers.

It's not really that much more complicated.

This takes longer than looking at the handle walking past then ducking under the trailer with the flash light and looking at the jaws. I’m still agile enough at 40 to duck under that sombeech

Pulling flat would require all the above. A lot of DCs will require him to have a reflective vest at a minimum. Refer would require having well insulated coveralls as you’re only 95% drop and hook at any company. But if you are out on the road I dunno why you wouldn’t have a damn set of insulated something (carheart set or coveralls) Incase of extended breakdown in a cold climate.

I think @Thomas Mixter would likely be best suited for a dry box. It would occasionally require sweeping out a trailer, and with the right company getting dirty during pretrip would be the biggest concern.

he should get a job like mine, we are always connected to our trailers, with exceptions to PM's for either unit.

which is quite good, as the company will know who did any damages.

he should get a job like mine, we are always connected to our trailers, with exceptions to PM's for either unit.

which is quite good, as the company will know who did any damages.
I concur. I can count on one hand how many times I have dropped this trailer I have now. That staying clean part ain't happening though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread