Hello from Illinois

GiddyupGo

Flying Low
Hello,

Thanks for all the great information about class A cdl trucking. Many of my questions have already been answered either on this forum or through my class advisor. But Im sure I will have a million more. I have had a class B for a couple of years now (driving a garbage truck) and have decided to move onto a class A. I served in the U.S. Army for 8 years and like a fool never went to college. However the Illinois Veterans Grant will pay for my license through the local community college. Class starts March 20th and I look forward to it.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum!

[video=youtube;Zw4v9wMvTwA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw4v9wMvTwA[/video]

Welcome to the forum.

Have you been given studying material? Get a head start and study up on the hours of service regulations, air brakes, combination vehicles, general knowledge, tankers, and hazmat. That way you'll be well prepared and not as overwhelmed come March 20th. Good luck with school!

I remember when I was in the CDL mill at Kankakee Community College, they gave us these "pre-trip" study guide things and the cover had this picture of a truck on it. It was terrible, it was like a xerox of a faxed xerox or something. After a few days I got tired of looking at it and I fired up Photoshop and used a picture of the school's truck that I had taken, and completely re-designed the cover for that thing. I didn't say anything about it to anybody but one of the instructors saw it and asked me to e-mail that image file to him. So the next Monday I went into the classroom and there was a stack of new pre-trip study guides on a table in the classroom, all with my cover design. It was kinda funny.

Thanks for the replies and advice gents! The study guide i received covers alot but would be interested if anyone knows of any other good study material online.
Thanks

Nah, you oughta just focus on what the CDL school instructors say that you have to know to pass the state exam. Worry about everything else after you get your CDL. You don't wanta get flustered trying to cram too much stuff into your head all at once.

There are things the CDL school won't cover, ... LOTS of things, ... but once you pass your test with the dude from Springfield, and you get that off your mind, then you can focus on other things like learning how to do basic simple repairs and preventative maintenance things like inspecting your brakes, de-icing your trailer air lines, draining the water out of your air tanks, blah blah blah.

And when you get to that point, there's a whole forum here full of people who like to help.

I remember when I was in the CDL mill at Kankakee Community College, they gave us these "pre-trip" study guide things and the cover had this picture of a truck on it. It was terrible, it was like a xerox of a faxed xerox or something. After a few days I got tired of looking at it and I fired up Photoshop and used a picture of the school's truck that I had taken, and completely re-designed the cover for that thing. I didn't say anything about it to anybody but one of the instructors saw it and asked me to e-mail that image file to him. So the next Monday I went into the classroom and there was a stack of new pre-trip study guides on a table in the classroom, all with my cover design. It was kinda funny.

Hope you "Billed" him for using your design.

Thanks for the replies and advice gents! The study guide i received covers alot but would be interested if anyone knows of any other good study material online.
Thanks

This site lists similar basic questions that you might see on your CDL exam, but state-specific questions can be found in your state's CDL manual. This site helped me somewhat in the past, but Nevada has their own set of specific questions. The good thing about this site is that the practice exams are free of charge.

Crist CDL Training Center - Tractor Trailer / Truck Driver Training School

Here's a link that will take you straight to the tests:

Crist CDL's Practice Exams - Free Online CDL Practice Exams

Hope you "Billed" him for using your design.

Nah. I ain't ever been paid for any of my graphics stuff as far as I can remember. I've made logos for several websites :) and two trucking companies, and some recruiting ads for one of those trucking companies that ended up in one of those job-hopper magazines. Never got a cent for any of it. Never asked for any $$ either though. It's just a hobby.

Nah. I ain't ever been paid for any of my graphics stuff as far as I can remember. I've made logos for several websites :) and two trucking companies, and some recruiting ads for one of those trucking companies that ended up in one of those job-hopper magazines. Never got a cent for any of it. Never asked for any $$ either though. It's just a hobby.

It may be only a Hobby to you but the profits have gone to someone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread