Headlights on a late model 379

MichaelJT

So I just started a new job driving a murdered out late model 379. Has the new projector low beams and they suck ass, poorly. Has anyone found a replacement that does a better job? Last place I worked i was driving a 2020 Cascadia whose low beams were so bright oncoming drivers would frequently flip their high beams at me. And yes, they were adjusted correctly, they were just BRIGHT.
I'm no rookie, been at this a long time. Just don't have much experience with these new fangled headlights. Freightliner worked great, the ones on this Pete suck.

Except, as I said, I'm driving a 379.
JW Speaker makes them for a 379 as well.

I hate the lights on many of the new trucks as they are too bright and,/or aimed too high. Any time opposing traffic is flashing you it ought to be an indication. I like opposing traffic to be able to see as well.

JW Speaker makes them for a 379 as well.

I hate the lights on many of the new trucks as they are too bright and,/or aimed too high. Any time opposing traffic is flashing you it ought to be an indication. I like opposing traffic to be able to see as well.
I run JW Speaker lights in my Star. Best cutoff I've ever seen, and high beams like a freight train.

I run JW Speaker lights in my Star. Best cutoff I've ever seen, and high beams like a freight train.
I've heard nothing but good about them except for maybe the price. Being heated and having excellent cutoff would make them worth it.

I'm not interested in buying the entire headlight pod. OEM pods are $750 per side. I put LEDs in the KW 880 I used to drive and my Dodge 2500 and my wife's Ford Escape too. Everyone said they don't work in the reflector style housing but they worked just fine. I was hoping for something I could just plug in. I think the truck is a 2019.

I'm not interested in buying the entire headlight pod. OEM pods are $750 per side. I put LEDs in the KW 880 I used to drive and my Dodge 2500 and my wife's Ford Escape too. Everyone said they don't work in the reflector style housing but they worked just fine. I was hoping for something I could just plug in. I think the truck is a 2019.
They work for the driver but not usually for oncoming traffic due to the spray.

I'm sure there are exceptions but when I updated my 1999 Contour (this was back in 2005 or so) just with higher draw halogen bulbs nobody but me liked it. That wasn't even a different pattern, just more brightness.

I'm sure there are exceptions but when I updated my 1999 Contour (this was back in 2005 or so) just with higher draw halogen bulbs nobody but me liked it. That wasn't even a different pattern, just more brightness.

This is where LED's, properly aimed, I think are much better. I can tell they are bright from the oncoming traffic, but they don't blind me at all.

I know I am very glad to have them in the Cascadia now. Visibility is so much better.

I put some in the T660 and they helped quite a bit, but they did last long at all, and I wasn't going to spend more money on them once I knew I wasn't going to keep the truck much longer.

This is where LED's, properly aimed, I think are much better. I can tell they are bright from the oncoming traffic, but they don't blind me at all.

I know I am very glad to have them in the Cascadia now. Visibility is so much better.

I put some in the T660 and they helped quite a bit, but they did last long at all, and I wasn't going to spend more money on them once I knew I wasn't going to keep the truck much longer.
Yeah I can't bitch about properly designed and aimed projectors or LEDs.

Eye fatigue drops orders of magnitude with either one over old school halogens.

The LTL gets away with it because I usually left around dawn and got home well before dusk, with only a few early delivery or late shitshow exceptions.

I treated it like shift work basically.

Whatever.
Never have any issues from oncoming traffic with the LEDs I've put in any of my vehicles. Don't guess there's going to be any cheap, easy fix for this truck though.

I've heard nothing but good about them except for maybe the price. Being heated and having excellent cutoff would make them worth it.
They're good enough I pulled them out of the truck that just got turned back in off lease.

Ran them almost 2 1/2 years, and they have minimal degradation of the lens. One or two tiny pits, absolutely no changes in clarity or color.

They'll be going into the new truck as soon as it's here. They're worth every penny of the $1000 the set costs.

2019 is a 389.
379s were done in 06/07

I have a pard down in New Mexico that does real high end paint on trucks and he had a guy bring in a brand new 389 for some color and wanted Chris to put a set of OEM 379 headlights on it. Chris sez it was a total beach, had to TIG the mounts up and redo em to make em fit. I never was a big fan of 379 OEM lights but it looks a TON better than them dang ugly alien eye stalks the 389 has! Good to see you boys again.

I have a pard down in New Mexico that does real high end paint on trucks and he had a guy bring in a brand new 389 for some color and wanted Chris to put a set of OEM 379 headlights on it. Chris sez it was a total beach, had to TIG the mounts up and redo em to make em fit. I never was a big fan of 379 OEM lights but it looks a TON better than them dang ugly alien eye stalks the 389 has! Good to see you boys again.
If’n you are the real Grubster, you might have a little sumpt’n on the down low coming your way — you Hillbilly CS’er — missed ya!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread