Hazmat vs Non-Hazmat?

Truckervlad

Hey everybody! I plan to get my cdl in a few months and start driving with a mega carrier for experience. Any advice on what to look for in a company?

And does hazmat generally pay more than non-hazmat? I am curious because if I could haul something like orange juice for the same type of pay I am all for it but if not that is fine.

Hey everybody! I plan to get my cdl in a few months and start driving with a mega carrier for experience. Any advice on what to look for in a company?

And does hazmat generally pay more than non-hazmat? I am curious because if I could haul something like orange juice for the same type of pay I am all for it but if not that is fine.
Typically hazmat tanker does pay better than dry bulk or liquid bulk.

Look for a company that will stand by its word and has a decent reputation. Remember bad reviews are from disgruntled employees who may be out to trash the company. No harm in trying to find someone who works for them and ask questions.

good luck.

Was my experience that hazmat paid less. I eventually dropped the endorsement, and haven't been sorry one bit.

Had some interesting time pulling jet fuel and anhydrous in North Dakota. Can't say I'd go back because of the extra pay. Wasn't worth it in my book. Not for the risk and responsibilities of the stuff.

If you get in with a general freight company, don't expect much of an increase for hazmat. If you get in with a specialized company, then it might be worth it.

Last edited:
If you get in with a general freight company, don't expect much of an increase for hazmat. If you get in with a specialized company, then it might be worth it.
Considering the potential liability for a hazmat spill, I'd think that would be a tough way to get a seat for an inexperienced CDL holder. YMMV.

Get the endorsement. Some companies require it, which opens up more opportunities for you in the hiring process. There are companies, once you have some experience, that specialize in hazardous materials and pay drivers a little better for it.

It’s just an extra tool on the tool belt.

some companies PREFER a person to have zero experience.

They don't have to unteach bad habits.

Yeah, megas.

Get the endorsement. Some companies require it, which opens up more opportunities for you in the hiring process. There are companies, once you have some experience, that specialize in hazardous materials and pay drivers a little better for it.

It’s just an extra tool on the tool belt.
Until you get tired of getting bent over for cheap hazmat loads

years ago, I'd have said get the endorsement.

After 9/11, screw it. If it's a must, worry about it then.

It's a written test you MUST take every license renewal.

and by the time you get done with it, add another $100 just for the TSA bullshit to go with it for fingerprinting and background check.

And if you ARE going to go through the hassle for HazMat endorsement, then get the TWIC at the same time and save time and money.

Do applicants with HMEs have to repeat the STA if they are applying for TWICs?
No. Applicants who apply for a TWIC do not have to pay the full price for the TWIC STA if they apply successful clearance results from their most recent HME STA, and as a result, the fee for the TWIC is reduced by $22.75. All TWIC applicants must pay the fees that cover the other components of the TWIC program, including enrollment and card issuance. Applicants are always offered the option to apply for a full-fee TWIC STA if they determine it is more cost effective to do so.

Shit there's that magic word again, Time.

And does hazmat generally pay more than non-hazmat?
Local, Regional, Ltl, Dedicated. Get it.
I'm local hourly pay, $1/hr more for HM.

One company had a HM contract but had to relinquish it to us
because too many of their drivers did not have the 'dorse. We
run it duece-weekly.

And if you ARE going to go through the hassle for HazMat endorsement, then get the TWIC at the same time and save time and money.
It's been awhile since I dicked @Ducked around with that crap, but don't you have to have an employer to apply fer that bullcrap TWIC card?

I will agree, that getting a hazmat endorsement along with tanker and doubles/triples helps get your first jobs.

Why do you need an employer for something coming from the TSA?
When I applied for my first one way back when, they were requiring an employer to sponsor the individual. Just seeing if the situation is the same today.

get the endorsement, plus you will need to get finger printed as well.

Until you get tired of getting bent over for cheap hazmat loads

he is talking about working for a carrier, the pay is what it is. With the endorsement, he has more hiring opportunities and once hired, that endorsement might keep him moving while another driver at the company has to sit longer waiting on a load.

he is talking about working for a carrier, the pay is what it is. With the endorsement, he has more hiring opportunities and once hired, that endorsement might keep him moving while another driver at the company has to sit longer waiting on a load.
i say get all the endorsements you can now, while they are still cheap to do so. it's only a matter of time when the states will raise the prices on the testing/endorsements.

back in my day, when the CDL was a thought soon to take place, i went back to the trucking school i had attended, under invitation before the CDL was to come into play.. i was able to get tankers, hazmat, double/triples for $0.

now my state charges $11.50 per written test.

Typically hazmat tanker does pay better than dry bulk or liquid bulk.

Look for a company that will stand by its word and has a decent reputation. Remember bad reviews are from disgruntled employees who may be out to trash the company. No harm in trying to find someone who works for them and ask questions.

good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I found a company named Air Products. Not sure how many years of experience they require but I will ask them.

Where do you live? Several tanker companies hire drivers right out of school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread